USB Bootable ?

So, ive had this Idea to INSTALL windows 7 or XP on a flashdrive and i wanted to know if thats possible ?

What im trying to get is when i boot from the flashdrive windows is ready to go with a game or two.

i have an 8gb flash and i can get a 16 but i wanted to know if the 8 will be enough for windows xp ?

please dont just tell me if its possible i want tutorials on how to do it !

PS i i know how to boot from a usb to install windows on a clean hard dive, what i want is if a PC has no hard dive, then i want to boot from the usb so i can still play.

sorry about the english really tired here its 5am lol !

THANKS !
16 answers Last reply
More about bootable
  1. No. Windows 7 cannot be installed to removable media like flash drives.
  2. XP can be installed on a flash drive and 8GIG would be just enough. As for the instructions I am not going to write them here, instead go to the Microsoft web site.
  3. pjmelect said:
    XP can be installed on a flash drive and 8GIG would be just enough. As for the instructions I am not going to write them here, instead go to the Microsoft web site.

Well, Could you at least link the instructions please ?
  4. Here is a link to one of the many tutorials available on the web on how to create a USB bootable Windows XP.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6160062.html

You can also create a USB bootable Windows 7 but 8 Gig is not big enough.

Remember Google is your friend.
  5. pjmelect said:
    Here is a link to one of the many tutorials available on the web on how to create a USB bootable Windows XP.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6160062.html

Your link only shows how to create a bootable USB drive of a BartPE Environment based on Windows XP, not a flash drive that boots a full, working copy of Windows XP like you would have on a desktop or laptop PC. After reading and re-reading the original post, I don't think your link is quite what ilikegirls is after.

pjmelect said:
    You can also create a USB bootable Windows 7 but 8 Gig is not big enough.

Unless you can link to a tutorial on how to do this, I'm going to maintain that it cannot be done. Windows 7 setup explicitly says it cannot be installed to removable media.
  6. Well, First of I would like to thank all of you for your help. sadly after looking into the matter at hand , I decided to install Virtualbox on my flash drive and using that make a virtual windows XP computer (on the USB DRIVE). after countless hours of tweaking the VM (Virtual Machine) is still working relatively slow. I want to know is it at all possible to make it run fast enough so that I can install a game on that VM (if so how).
    essentially having a PC in my pocket with a game or two.

PS, Just to make sure I'm clear; I did get the VM running, and i can play Phun (lol) but even on that game it lag's.
  7. gaming inside of a VM image is never a great idea, but I found that VMware does DirectX acceleration best out of them, Virtualbox, and Microsoft's Virtual PC products. Loading the virtual machine from a flash drive is also going to really hinder your performance.

Try using the latest version of VMware Player instead of Virtualbox. VMware Player now has the ability to create VM images, and also supports the same DirectX acceleration as the full-blown VMware Workstation 7 product.
  8. Thanks for the reply, but I thought VMware was a paid program ?
  9. VMware Workstation is paid app. VMware Player is free.
  10. Well I went to download it but all i get is that i need to register something. Plus it tells me i need a company HELP
  11. This is the page i get when i try to download
    https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=player&lp=1
    PS Thank you for your patience
  12. just put some word in irrelevant fields, they wont care... email id is the only important thing to recive key,
    &
    vmware server is also free..
  13. Sorry for all of the questions but what is the difference between server, workstaion and player ?

BTW thanks for the fast reply manojgj
  14. workstation is designed for home users
    server for small business & power users
    http://www.virtualization.info/lab/VMwareWKS60_vs_VMwareSVR10.pdf

Vmware player is used to run virtual machines. you are not able to create new virtual machine
    just like media players ...
  15. manojgj said:
    Vmware player is used to run virtual machines. you are not able to create new virtual machine
    just like media players ...

Starting at version 3.0, VMware Player is now able to create images.
  16. oopsssssssss.. forget to check new versions & its features...
Ask a new question

Read More

Flash Drive Windows XP Windows 7