USB Bootable ?

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So, ive had this Idea to INSTALL windows 7 or XP on a flashdrive and i wanted to know if thats possible ?

What im trying to get is when i boot from the flashdrive windows is ready to go with a game or two.

i have an 8gb flash and i can get a 16 but i wanted to know if the 8 will be enough for windows xp ?

please dont just tell me if its possible i want tutorials on how to do it !

PS i i know how to boot from a usb to install windows on a clean hard dive, what i want is if a PC has no hard dive, then i want to boot from the usb so i can still play.

sorry about the english really tired here its 5am lol !

THANKS !

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Well, Could you at least link the instructions please ?

Your link only shows how to create a bootable USB drive of a BartPE Environment based on Windows XP, not a flash drive that boots a full, working copy of Windows XP like you would have on a desktop or laptop PC. After reading and re-reading the original post, I don't think your link is quite what ilikegirls is after.

Unless you can link to a tutorial on how to do this, I'm going to maintain that it cannot be done. Windows 7 setup explicitly says it cannot be installed to removable media.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Well, First of I would like to thank all of you for your help. sadly after looking into the matter at hand , I decided to install Virtualbox on my flash drive and using that make a virtual windows XP computer (on the USB DRIVE). after countless hours of tweaking the VM (Virtual Machine) is still working relatively slow. I want to know is it at all possible to make it run fast enough so that I can install a game on that VM (if so how).
essentially having a PC in my pocket with a game or two.

PS, Just to make sure I'm clear; I did get the VM running, and i can play Phun (lol) but even on that game it lag's.

gaming inside of a VM image is never a great idea, but I found that VMware does DirectX acceleration best out of them, Virtualbox, and Microsoft's Virtual PC products. Loading the virtual machine from a flash drive is also going to really hinder your performance.

Try using the latest version of VMware Player instead of Virtualbox. VMware Player now has the ability to create VM images, and also supports the same DirectX acceleration as the full-blown VMware Workstation 7 product.

TRENDING THREADS