ok, so we have 5 computers each with their own copy of xp, unfortunately we
have not marked on the cd's which copy goes with which computer. we are
giving away a laptop and would like to give the cd with the computer. how do
you tell which copy goes with the computer?

i have checked the registery, system info, etc. and do not find a number to
line up with the number on the cd package...

any help?

Give this a go.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

In news:B51F30F8-3C3D-49D2-8C92-DD2728010112@microsoft.com,
bware <bware@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> ok, so we have 5 computers each with their own copy of xp,
> unfortunately we have not marked on the cd's which copy goes
> with
> which computer. we are giving away a laptop and would like to
> give
> the cd with the computer. how do you tell which copy goes with
> the
> computer?
>
> i have checked the registery, system info, etc. and do not
> find a
> number to line up with the number on the cd package...

You can find the Product key with any of these:

ViewKeyXP www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/ViewKeyXP.exe (for Retail
versions only, and for pre-SP2 versions only)

AIDA32 http://www.aumha.org/freeware.htm

Everest http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

Magical Jellybean www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com/free_download.html