uninstall in safe mode

Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
uninstall Office but it will not work.
Lenny
6 answers Last reply
More about uninstall safe mode

    Hi, Lenny.

    HOW are you trying to uninstall Office? Are you using Control Panel | Add
    or Remove Programs? Or are you trying some other message? Please tell us
    exactly what you did, and exactly what error messages or other results you
    saw. "I tried everything" doesn't tell us anything - and neither does "it
    didn't work". :>(

    When you post with no information about your system, we just have to guess
    that you are using a plain-vanilla system with current versions of
    everything. You haven't said if you are asking about Office 2003 or Office
    97 or some other version. You didn't say if Office was pre-installed on
    your computer or if you installed it yourself. Such details are PROBABLY
    not needed, but they are sometimes very critical, so always mention them
    when you are asking for help.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
    > uninstall Office but it will not work.
    > Lenny

    Hi

    Are you trying to uninstall Office (which version?) via Add/Remove Programs
    in Safe Mode? It has worked here before.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
    > uninstall Office but it will not work.
    > Lenny

    Sorry about that. Windows XP home. Office 2000 Premium. A work machine but I
    am not sure who installed the Office Suite. I have 2003 here but that also
    doesn't load. It starts and then stops after installing required set up
    files. I am going to Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs. I get 'the
    windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are
    running Windows in safe mode.......' Message when I try to uninstall Office
    in safe mode.

    I am trying in safe mode because in normal mode I get to the window that
    says Gathering required information... and everything stalls when it gets to
    3 green bars (the same everytime)

    Cheers

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Lenny.
    >
    > HOW are you trying to uninstall Office? Are you using Control Panel | Add
    > or Remove Programs? Or are you trying some other message? Please tell us
    > exactly what you did, and exactly what error messages or other results you
    > saw. "I tried everything" doesn't tell us anything - and neither does "it
    > didn't work". :>(
    >
    > When you post with no information about your system, we just have to guess
    > that you are using a plain-vanilla system with current versions of
    > everything. You haven't said if you are asking about Office 2003 or
    > Office 97 or some other version. You didn't say if Office was
    > pre-installed on your computer or if you installed it yourself. Such
    > details are PROBABLY not needed, but they are sometimes very critical, so
    > always mention them when you are asking for help.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
    >> uninstall Office but it will not work.
    >> Lenny

    Hi, Lenny.

    Thanks. That gives us better information to work with. We still may not be
    able to solve your problem, but we have a better chance now. Since this is
    an Office-specific problem, you might get some more focused advice in
    microsoft.public.office.setup.

    Sometimes the UNinstall information gets corrupted. A technique that often
    works is to install the program again, letting the install process clean up
    the critical info as it does - then uninstall it. Do you have the CD so
    that you can install Office 2000 again? Does your company have an IT
    department or guru that might have imposed some special requirements on that
    computer? Has the computer been modified (HD added? or removed? or
    repartitioned? Network properties changed?) since Office 2000 was
    installed?

    In trying to install or uninstall, you probably need to make sure nothing
    like an antivirus program is running in the background and interfering with
    the process. That's one reason why the Safe Mode uninstall usually works.

    You asked Will, "Is there another way?" Yes, there are other ways, but they
    generally are not for the faint of heart. One way is to delete the folder
    where the Office files are, then clean out all the (probably thousands of)
    references to Office and its components in the Registry. :>( That's
    traumatic enough that you probably should not give up on Add/Remove Programs
    just yet.

    RC
    --

    > Sorry about that. Windows XP home. Office 2000 Premium. A work machine but
    > I am not sure who installed the Office Suite. I have 2003 here but that
    > also doesn't load. It starts and then stops after installing required set
    > up files. I am going to Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs. I get 'the
    > windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are
    > running Windows in safe mode.......' Message when I try to uninstall
    > Office in safe mode.
    >
    > I am trying in safe mode because in normal mode I get to the window that
    > says Gathering required information... and everything stalls when it gets
    > to 3 green bars (the same everytime)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Lenny.
    >>
    >> HOW are you trying to uninstall Office? Are you using Control Panel |
    >> Add or Remove Programs? Or are you trying some other message? Please
    >> tell us exactly what you did, and exactly what error messages or other
    >> results you saw. "I tried everything" doesn't tell us anything - and
    >> neither does "it didn't work". :>(
    >>
    >> When you post with no information about your system, we just have to
    >> guess that you are using a plain-vanilla system with current versions of
    >> everything. You haven't said if you are asking about Office 2003 or
    >> Office 97 or some other version. You didn't say if Office was
    >> pre-installed on your computer or if you installed it yourself. Such
    >> details are PROBABLY not needed, but they are sometimes very critical, so
    >> always mention them when you are asking for help.
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
    >>> uninstall Office but it will not work.
    >>> Lenny

    yes. Version 2000. Windows XP home. Via Add/Remove. Is there another way?

    > Hi, Lenny.
    >
    > Thanks. That gives us better information to work with. We still may not
    > be able to solve your problem, but we have a better chance now. Since
    > this is an Office-specific problem, you might get some more focused advice
    > in microsoft.public.office.setup.

    I will try there

    > Sometimes the UNinstall information gets corrupted. A technique that
    > often works is to install the program again, letting the install process
    > clean up the critical info as it does - then uninstall it.

    I can't install over the program as it will not install past the setting up
    the installation files. The install process just hangs. I have tried Works
    2001 with Word (it loads Works just fine but stops when it comes to loading
    Word)

    >Do you have the CD so that you can install Office 2000 again? Does your
    >company have an IT department or guru that might have imposed some special
    >requirements on that computer? Has the computer been modified (HD added?
    >or removed? or repartitioned? Network properties changed?) since Office
    >2000 was installed?

    I am the IT person but I have never come across this level of problem with
    Word before.

    > In trying to install or uninstall, you probably need to make sure nothing
    > like an antivirus program is running in the background and interfering
    > with the process. That's one reason why the Safe Mode uninstall usually
    > works.

    I have stopped all processes whilst I try to get this to work but nothing
    changes

    > You asked Will, "Is there another way?" Yes, there are other ways, but
    > they generally are not for the faint of heart. One way is to delete the
    > folder where the Office files are, then clean out all the (probably
    > thousands of) references to Office and its components in the Registry.
    > :>( That's traumatic enough that you probably should not give up on
    > Add/Remove Programs just yet.

    I am on the verge of doing just that but would like to know the reason
    behind the problem so are trying everything else first.
    Cheers
    Lenny

    > RC
    > --