uninstall in safe mode

June 30, 2005 8:37:05 PM

Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
uninstall Office but it will not work.
Lenny

More about : uninstall safe mode

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:37:06 PM

Hi, Lenny.

HOW are you trying to uninstall Office? Are you using Control Panel | Add
or Remove Programs? Or are you trying some other message? Please tell us
exactly what you did, and exactly what error messages or other results you
saw. "I tried everything" doesn't tell us anything - and neither does "it
didn't work". :>(

When you post with no information about your system, we just have to guess
that you are using a plain-vanilla system with current versions of
everything. You haven't said if you are asking about Office 2003 or Office
97 or some other version. You didn't say if Office was pre-installed on
your computer or if you installed it yourself. Such details are PROBABLY
not needed, but they are sometimes very critical, so always mention them
when you are asking for help.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
> uninstall Office but it will not work.
> Lenny
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:54:54 PM

Hi

Are you trying to uninstall Office (which version?) via Add/Remove Programs
in Safe Mode? It has worked here before.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
> uninstall Office but it will not work.
> Lenny
June 30, 2005 9:17:08 PM

Sorry about that. Windows XP home. Office 2000 Premium. A work machine but I
am not sure who installed the Office Suite. I have 2003 here but that also
doesn't load. It starts and then stops after installing required set up
files. I am going to Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs. I get 'the
windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are
running Windows in safe mode.......' Message when I try to uninstall Office
in safe mode.

I am trying in safe mode because in normal mode I get to the window that
says Gathering required information... and everything stalls when it gets to
3 green bars (the same everytime)

Cheers

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Lenny.
>
> HOW are you trying to uninstall Office? Are you using Control Panel | Add
> or Remove Programs? Or are you trying some other message? Please tell us
> exactly what you did, and exactly what error messages or other results you
> saw. "I tried everything" doesn't tell us anything - and neither does "it
> didn't work". :>(
>
> When you post with no information about your system, we just have to guess
> that you are using a plain-vanilla system with current versions of
> everything. You haven't said if you are asking about Office 2003 or
> Office 97 or some other version. You didn't say if Office was
> pre-installed on your computer or if you installed it yourself. Such
> details are PROBABLY not needed, but they are sometimes very critical, so
> always mention them when you are asking for help.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
>> uninstall Office but it will not work.
>> Lenny

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:17:09 PM

Hi, Lenny.

Thanks. That gives us better information to work with. We still may not be
able to solve your problem, but we have a better chance now. Since this is
an Office-specific problem, you might get some more focused advice in
microsoft.public.office.setup.

Sometimes the UNinstall information gets corrupted. A technique that often
works is to install the program again, letting the install process clean up
the critical info as it does - then uninstall it. Do you have the CD so
that you can install Office 2000 again? Does your company have an IT
department or guru that might have imposed some special requirements on that
computer? Has the computer been modified (HD added? or removed? or
repartitioned? Network properties changed?) since Office 2000 was
installed?

In trying to install or uninstall, you probably need to make sure nothing
like an antivirus program is running in the background and interfering with
the process. That's one reason why the Safe Mode uninstall usually works.

You asked Will, "Is there another way?" Yes, there are other ways, but they
generally are not for the faint of heart. One way is to delete the folder
where the Office files are, then clean out all the (probably thousands of)
references to Office and its components in the Registry. :>( That's
traumatic enough that you probably should not give up on Add/Remove Programs
just yet.

RC
--

> Sorry about that. Windows XP home. Office 2000 Premium. A work machine but
> I am not sure who installed the Office Suite. I have 2003 here but that
> also doesn't load. It starts and then stops after installing required set
> up files. I am going to Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs. I get 'the
> windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are
> running Windows in safe mode.......' Message when I try to uninstall
> Office in safe mode.
>
> I am trying in safe mode because in normal mode I get to the window that
> says Gathering required information... and everything stalls when it gets
> to 3 green bars (the same everytime)
>
> Cheers
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Lenny.
>>
>> HOW are you trying to uninstall Office? Are you using Control Panel |
>> Add or Remove Programs? Or are you trying some other message? Please
>> tell us exactly what you did, and exactly what error messages or other
>> results you saw. "I tried everything" doesn't tell us anything - and
>> neither does "it didn't work". :>(
>>
>> When you post with no information about your system, we just have to
>> guess that you are using a plain-vanilla system with current versions of
>> everything. You haven't said if you are asking about Office 2003 or
>> Office 97 or some other version. You didn't say if Office was
>> pre-installed on your computer or if you installed it yourself. Such
>> details are PROBABLY not needed, but they are sometimes very critical, so
>> always mention them when you are asking for help.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
>>> uninstall Office but it will not work.
>>> Lenny
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:22:57 PM

yes. Version 2000. Windows XP home. Via Add/Remove. Is there another way?
> Hi
>
> Are you trying to uninstall Office (which version?) via Add/Remove
> Programs in Safe Mode? It has worked here before.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Should I be able to uninstall programs when in Safe Mode? I am trying to
>> uninstall Office but it will not work.
>> Lenny

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:21:16 AM

> Hi, Lenny.
>
> Thanks. That gives us better information to work with. We still may not
> be able to solve your problem, but we have a better chance now. Since
> this is an Office-specific problem, you might get some more focused advice
> in microsoft.public.office.setup.

I will try there

> Sometimes the UNinstall information gets corrupted. A technique that
> often works is to install the program again, letting the install process
> clean up the critical info as it does - then uninstall it.

I can't install over the program as it will not install past the setting up
the installation files. The install process just hangs. I have tried Works
2001 with Word (it loads Works just fine but stops when it comes to loading
Word)

>Do you have the CD so that you can install Office 2000 again? Does your
>company have an IT department or guru that might have imposed some special
>requirements on that computer? Has the computer been modified (HD added?
>or removed? or repartitioned? Network properties changed?) since Office
>2000 was installed?

I am the IT person but I have never come across this level of problem with
Word before.

> In trying to install or uninstall, you probably need to make sure nothing
> like an antivirus program is running in the background and interfering
> with the process. That's one reason why the Safe Mode uninstall usually
> works.

I have stopped all processes whilst I try to get this to work but nothing
changes

> You asked Will, "Is there another way?" Yes, there are other ways, but
> they generally are not for the faint of heart. One way is to delete the
> folder where the Office files are, then clean out all the (probably
> thousands of) references to Office and its components in the Registry.
> :>( That's traumatic enough that you probably should not give up on
> Add/Remove Programs just yet.

I am on the verge of doing just that but would like to know the reason
behind the problem so are trying everything else first.
Cheers
Lenny

!