ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Today, I went into my local Electronics Boutique store and noticed the PS3 system which was on display. Naturally I gravitated toward it to check it out, and since no one else was playing it, I thought I might get to try it for a few moments.

I picked up the contoller and looked at the Sony LCD display the PS3 was connected to. The screen said, "please wait". That notice was on the screen for a few minutes, so I asked the clerk what was wrong. The clerk said that the PS3 had locked up, and it was about the 10th time so far today. The clerk indicated that the issue appeared to be heat related and said the whole system was hot to the touch.

The clerk reset the system, so that I could give it a try, but only about 30 seconds into trying to load a demo game, the system locked up again. Needless to say, I wasn't going to bother the clerk again to reset the PS3.

I would like to note that there was a fan blowing on the demo PS3, and it appeared that ventilation was unobstructed. It looks to me like there may be a thermal problem with the PS3.

If you are a lucky one to get one of the first PS3's, by all means, don't set on the floor, to collect your pet's hair, or on your shag carpet, you may suffocate it to death or cause it to over heat.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Today, I went into my local Electronics Boutique store and noticed the PS3 system which was on display. Naturally I gravitated toward it to check it out, and since no one else was playing it, I thought I might get to try it for a few moments.

I picked up the contoller and looked at the Sony LCD display the PS3 was connected to. The screen said, "please wait". That notice was on the screen for a few minutes, so I asked the clerk what was wrong. The clerk said that the PS3 had locked up, and it was about the 10th time so far today. The clerk indicated that the issue appeared to be heat related and said the whole system was hot to the touch.

The clerk reset the system, so that I could give it a try, but only about 30 seconds into trying to load a demo game, the system locked up again. Needless to say, I wasn't going to bother the clerk again to reset the PS3.

I would like to note that there was a fan blowing on the demo PS3, and it appeared that ventilation was unobstructed. It looks to me like there may be a thermal problem with the PS3.

If you are a lucky one to get one of the first PS3's, by all means, don't set on the floor, to collect your pet's hair, or on your shag carpet, you may suffocate it to death or cause it to over heat.

Aren't those demo consoles in those sealed boxes?

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
The demo console that I saw was in a locked plastic display case, about 3x's larger than the PS3. The case had large ventilation holes on two ends with a large fan blowing on the PS3.