An interesting problem...

So here's my problem, (I tried MS Support, but since my OS is OEM, they won't
give me any support...), My 'All Programs' menu won't open. I have never had
this problem before, but all of a sudden it stopped working. I even right
clicked 'All Programs' and clicked explore, but it showed the following path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Denise\Steve

Which makes absolutely no sense, because Denise and Steve both are users of
this P.C., yet neither of them have this problem. My username is Adam, so I
guess the question is, where is this info stored?? And why did it change??

If anyone knows [what i am guessing to be a registry key] how to help, drop
me a line, because i am out of ideas...

p.s. I can't even install anything now, because it will give me a[n]
(non-skippable) error saying it can't access the 'All Programs' menu.
3 answers Last reply
More about interesting problem

    Check the REG_EXPAND_SZ string data is correct in;

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    Name: Common Desktop
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop

    Name: Common Start Menu
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu

    Name: Common Programs
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs

    Name: Common Startup
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Name: Common AppData
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data

    Name: Common Templates
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Templates

    Name: Common Favorites
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Favorites

    Name: Common Documents
    Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Data: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    =?Utf-8?B?LUFkYW0uRA==?= wrote:

    > So here's my problem, (I tried MS Support, but since my OS is OEM, they won't
    > give me any support...), My 'All Programs' menu won't open. I have never had

    Then ask your OEM dealer who is contracted/required to provide support
    for being able to sell OEM packages at less than retail prices.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Start Menu - 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click the
    menu:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/allprograms.htm

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "-Adam.D" <AdamD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > So here's my problem, (I tried MS Support, but since my OS is OEM, they
    > won't
    > give me any support...), My 'All Programs' menu won't open. I have never
    > had
    > this problem before, but all of a sudden it stopped working. I even right
    > clicked 'All Programs' and clicked explore, but it showed the following
    > path:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Denise\Steve
    >
    > Which makes absolutely no sense, because Denise and Steve both are users
    > of
    > this P.C., yet neither of them have this problem. My username is Adam, so
    > guess the question is, where is this info stored?? And why did it change??
    >
    > If anyone knows [what i am guessing to be a registry key] how to help,
    > drop
    > me a line, because i am out of ideas...
    >
    > p.s. I can't even install anything now, because it will give me a[n]
    > (non-skippable) error saying it can't access the 'All Programs' menu.

Support Microsoft Windows XP Product