Want to choose a 19" LCD monitor

fullerms

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Brothers,

Looking to buy a 19" LCD panel during the first week of December. My requirements

Gaming / Movies
8 Bit Panel
Good contrast / brightness
DVI
Newer PVA panel
Wide Screen optional

Which montor to choose? I have been reading good things about the Samsung 931C, and Philips also. How does the Viewsonic VX 922 fit in? Thoroughly confused, will really appreciate if someone can give me links to any recent reviews / shootouts.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Brothers,

Looking to buy a 19" LCD panel during the first week of December. My requirements

Gaming / Movies
8 Bit Panel
Good contrast / brightness
DVI
Newer PVA panel
Wide Screen optional

Which montor to choose? I have been reading good things about the Samsung 931C, and Philips also. How does the Viewsonic VX 922 fit in? Thoroughly confused, will really appreciate if someone can give me links to any recent reviews / shootouts.

Ahhhh..... you "want it all" in a 19" monitor. We all do, but can't have it... doesn't exist.

Your two have TN panels.... The VX922 is liked by gamers, the 931C is still very new.. though it was the (or one of) official monitor of the 2006 International Cyber Games.

There are not many 19" with VA panels, but here are a few.....

1. Acer AL1923
2. Acer AL1952
3. Philips 190P7
4. Planar PL1910M
5. Viewsonic VP930b

fullerms

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah, maybe I "want it all" . Maybe I am expecting too much. Maybe I am confused :?

What would be your recommendations? Dont want to spend too much, maybe around US$ 250 - 300.

DVI, 8 bit and good response times are MUST haves. Matching this baby with a X1900XT 256 Mb, so good resolutions are also a must. Widescreen optional.

Any recommendations or links?

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Yeah, maybe I "want it all" . Maybe I am expecting too much. Maybe I am confused :?

What would be your recommendations? Dont want to spend too much, maybe around US$ 250 - 300.

DVI, 8 bit and good response times are MUST haves. Matching this baby with a X1900XT 256 Mb, so good resolutions are also a must. Widescreen optional.

Any recommendations or links?

You're going to have to choose which is most important to you. You can't have "fastest response time + 8-bit color". It doesn't exist at any price.

All of the 7 monitors mentioned are in your price range if you're in the US... all should be good, but a bit different from each other.

If you wanted to expand your price range to $350, two really good choices would be Samsung 970P and 971P. Also, if you like the glossy, Brite screen, NEC 90GX2. (It's got a 6-bit TN panel, but gets CRAZY-good reveiws from buyers.) If I were in the market for a 19" monitor, I would definitely check out these 3.

Best thing you can do is to see them before you buy.

johaness9

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Im about to buy a monitor and am not very experienced with the specs.
I was reading the above posts and was wondering what does the 8 bit/6 bit have to do with response times? does one go up for the other to go down? I was looking at some monitors, and did not find the info on what bit it was from the info pages on the buying specs, how do I find this info? What is better for games, faster response time, or 8-bit/6-bit etc?

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Im about to buy a monitor and am not very experienced with the specs.
I was reading the above posts and was wondering what does the 8 bit/6 bit have to do with response times? does one go up for the other to go down? I was looking at some monitors, and did not find the info on what bit it was from the info pages on the buying specs, how do I find this info? What is better for games, faster response time, or 8-bit/6-bit etc?

I haven't read any reviews which specifically state the relationship between color depth and speed. However, it seems intuitive....

Most of the "VA" and all(?) of the IPS panels are 8-bit... and they are the slower ones (but with better color, contrast, and viewing angles).

All(?) of the faster TN panels are 6-bit.

To me that means the best "all around" monitors would have either PVA, MPVA, SPVA, or SIPS panels with some overdrive to get the [claimed] response time down to 6-8 ms.