PLEASE HELP!! MY ACCOUNT ISN'T WORKING!!

Josh

My account was a the only computer administrator account on my computer.
Well it just so happens that whenever I log onto it, nothing comes up besides
the background. The Tool Bars and the whole Desktop doesn't come up. Nothin
even the Start Menu won't come up. What can I do to fix this??

Josh,

It's possible that your profile has some how become corrupt. One thing you
may want to try is to get into Safe mode (When you turn on your machine, hit
F8 before the loading windows screen comes up and choose safe mode)

Once in safemode, holy the windows key and hit pause/break. This will open
system properties.

Click the Advanced Tab
Click Settings, in the User Profile section
You will now see your profile in that list, it may even say unknown, letting
you know something is wrong,

Now you can take a few different track, just delete it and restart to
recreate the account, or you can create a new account before restarting.

I would atleast back up my favorites, files in my documents, such as that
before actually deleting the unknown profile.

Which is commonly found at:

C:\Documents and Settings\*UserAccount*

Even if it doesnt say unknown, try making a new profile and logging in with
that.

Josh

"Chase Overmire" wrote:

> Josh,
>
> It's possible that your profile has some how become corrupt. One thing you
> may want to try is to get into Safe mode (When you turn on your machine, hit
> F8 before the loading windows screen comes up and choose safe mode)
>
> Once in safemode, holy the windows key and hit pause/break. This will open
> system properties.
>
> Click the Advanced Tab
> Click Settings, in the User Profile section
> You will now see your profile in that list, it may even say unknown, letting
> you know something is wrong,
>
> Now you can take a few different track, just delete it and restart to
> recreate the account, or you can create a new account before restarting.
>
> I would atleast back up my favorites, files in my documents, such as that
> before actually deleting the unknown profile.
>
> Which is commonly found at:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\*UserAccount*
>
> Even if it doesnt say unknown, try making a new profile and logging in with
> that.

Chase,

But all the other accounts are working!! So I don't know what is wrong with
it!!

Well, backing up the my docs and favorites of that account, deleting it, and
recreating it will fix your problem then.

I would just toss the files in my documents, and favorites into a folder
called transfer or something like that in the root of C. Once the account is
recreated, you can just put them back :)
--
Chase Overmire
Geo Engineers, Inc

Josh

I'm not smart about computers at all so I'm not really understanding all of
this!! How do I back up the documents and favorites?? Thanks for helping me
and teaching me!! I really appreciate it!!

"Chase Overmire" wrote:

> Well, backing up the my docs and favorites of that account, deleting it, and
> recreating it will fix your problem then.
>
> I would just toss the files in my documents, and favorites into a folder
> called transfer or something like that in the root of C. Once the account is
> recreated, you can just put them back :)
> --
> Chase Overmire
> Geo Engineers, Inc

Ok check it out, the first thing you are going to want to do is navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings

Once there, you will see all the user accounts on that computer. For
example, you will see an All users folder, an administrator folder and ect
ect.

Open the folder that is your account.
Once open, you will see even more folders. What your going to want to back
up is probably the following:

Desktop
Favorites
My Documents

So what your wanting to do is select these folders. Hold ctrl on your
keyboard, and left click each of those folders once to select them. Once
selected, click on edit at the top of the window, and choose copy. Now you
want to navigate back to your C:\ root directory and create a new folder.
Call it transfer just for the sake of it, and enter the folder. So in the
address bar when your enter the new folder it will look like:

C:\Transfer\

Now click on edit once again, and choose paste. You now have backed up the
files in my documents, your favorites, and your desktop icons.

The next thing you are going to want to do is to delete the profile.

Hold the windows key (between ctrl and alt) and hit the Pause/Break key.
This will bring up System Properties.
Choose the Advanced tab
Notice the User Profile section in blue text, hit the settings button.
Now select your profile, or any unknown profiles and delete them.

Go ahead and close those windows out and go to the control panel. You can
just open up the run dialog and type in control panel to open it. Now just
open up the User Account section. Now, just readd your account, which the
name was, make your self and admin and such.

Once created, log in to your new account., and copy the folders in your
c:\transfer\ folder back into C:\Documents and Settings\*your accounts name*

It will ask if you want to replace whats already in there, just say yes and
your desktop icons, favorites, and files in my documents will be back to
normal.

--
Chase Overmire
Geo Engineers, Inc

Josh

I don't have a Windows Key. I have a laptop and it doesn't have that key.
And another thing it keeps saying that the file is unaccessible. I tried to
delete it and it says it's still unaccessible. Remember that I'm on an
account that has limited accessibility. So now what am I supposed to do??