Refilling Canon PIXMA IP4200 ink tanks

triplea

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I'm having a slight problem when refilling the ink tanks in my Canon Pixma IP4200 printer.

Here's what I do:

1. Take out the tank. Tape the opening.
2. Make a hole in the side of the tank using a pin.
3. Use a syringe to insert the refill ink.
*PROBLEMS*
4. Use a glue gun to seal the hole.

The problem is that I can't refill the tank more than maybe 1/3 of its capacity. After that level, the ink justs flows out the sponge opening, no matter how hard I've taped it.

What am I doing wrong?

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To Triplea,

First, I have never heard of anyone using the side of the cartridge---I use the top surface---and drill a hole at the original ink inlet---and then use a #6 or #8 stainless steel self tapping pan head screw with an rubber O-ring to seal that hole after the ink is injected. With the original ink inlet hile being above the reserve tank section of the cartridge.

So step by step--my proseidure is as follows---(1) take empty cartridge--rubber band the original wingnut over the ink outlet hole.
Inject about 6 ml of ink into your CLI-8 cartridge---let stand for about a minute as the reserve tank bleeds into the sponge section (2) Tape the vent hole with scotch tape---then inject some more ink to fill the reserve tank to about 90% full. (3) Seal the ink inlet hole with the stainless steel screw and o-ring. (4) remove the wingnut---blot excess ink off the ink let hole---re rubber band the wingnut back over the ink -outlet hole---and cartridge can be stored for later reuse---remove scotch tape from air vent when ready to use.

Until the ink inlet hole you created is sealed air tight---some dripping out the ink outlet hole is normal--but once the ink inlet hole you created is sealed air tight this dripping should stop in five seconds or so.---but some
canon OEM cartridges seem to like to drip more than another cartridges for some strange reason.

For more details---just google the nifty stuff forums---you should find some instruction with photos on how it should go if you search back posts.