Shamrock

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

Hi, i have a little problem with win XP PRO i think, i have a compaq deskpro
EN series PC and iv purchased a new memory module (256 MB SDRAM, 168PIN ,
non-ECC, cl=3) iv tried to upgrade my PC with this memory module and it
eccepts it (bringing my total memory to 448 of a possible 768MB) but then it
wont let windows load, stating (with an error screen, just before windows
boots) that "system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys is missing or corrutp, play your
original mindows CD and press "r" on the first screen to repair this problem"
(to the best of my memory),

but the problem is i don't have a windows XP CD (it came on my PC) plus i
don't have a floppy disk drive (that didn't), so i can't download a boot up
thingy form Microsoft (for those who know what i mean).

is there anything i can do to fix this problem.

for more info jst ask,
thank
Danny F. (PS, i hope iv been thourogh enough)

HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
information.

Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll have
to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat the
drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP is
reinstalled.

Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

--