how long a laptop can be on?

a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 2:59:04 PM

hi there
just a question....
is it ok to keep my laptop (dell inspiron 1100) on all the time?
am constantly downloading stuff so i leave it day and night on.... i just
thought that maybe it requires some hours off too.... i dont want to burn
it....
or laptops are capable to be operational all the time?...i've been 2 weeks
with the laptop on.....ans everything seems ok...but i prefer to ask the
experts here

thanks
novicio

More about : long laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 5:05:57 PM

The computer will run 24/7/365 as long as it is positioned
so it can get cooling air flow. But the battery may suffer
from being on charge 24/7. It depends a lot on what battery
you have, newer tech batteries are more resistant to memory
effect and heat.

What does Dell say about the issue?

some support

"ilegal" <ilegal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| hi there
| just a question....
| is it ok to keep my laptop (dell inspiron 1100) on all the
time?
| am constantly downloading stuff so i leave it day and
night on.... i just
| thought that maybe it requires some hours off too.... i
dont want to burn
| it....
| or laptops are capable to be operational all the
time?...i've been 2 weeks
| with the laptop on.....ans everything seems ok...but i
prefer to ask the
| experts here
|
| thanks
| novicio
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 6:11:56 PM

Probably OK. Notebooks are designed to enter a low power mode
(Standby or Hibernate) after a period of inactivity. Drives spin down
and many devices power off. My only concern is the AC adapter,
Dell has had many recalls because of AC/DC converters that can
overheat and possibly cause a fire. Probably not a major concern
but I would occasionally check the converter and see how hot it is.
I have an older Dell notebook and it's power converter gets very
warm after just an hour or two of use. One of my son's good friends
has a 1100 I maintain and it seems to be a nice notebook.

"ilegal" <ilegal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi there
> just a question....
> is it ok to keep my laptop (dell inspiron 1100) on all the time?
> am constantly downloading stuff so i leave it day and night on.... i just
> thought that maybe it requires some hours off too.... i dont want to burn
> it....
> or laptops are capable to be operational all the time?...i've been 2 weeks
> with the laptop on.....ans everything seems ok...but i prefer to ask the
> experts here
>
> thanks
> novicio
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 6:11:57 PM

hello "R"
thanks for your prompt reply too.
i checked the converter and its warm so i think its not a problem but i
decided to lift the laptop and touch it at the bottom and its pretty hot (i
guess is normal since its been working forever but still wanted to mention it
in case this is not normal).

just another question, i think 80% of the time my laptop is not in
hibernation cuz i have some files and videos downloading constantly from
emule so i dont think my lap gets in the hibernation stage often. Just wanted
to mention that in case you have sthg else to say.

thanks again Mr McCarty

el novicio

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Probably OK. Notebooks are designed to enter a low power mode
> (Standby or Hibernate) after a period of inactivity. Drives spin down
> and many devices power off. My only concern is the AC adapter,
> Dell has had many recalls because of AC/DC converters that can
> overheat and possibly cause a fire. Probably not a major concern
> but I would occasionally check the converter and see how hot it is.
> I have an older Dell notebook and it's power converter gets very
> warm after just an hour or two of use. One of my son's good friends
> has a 1100 I maintain and it seems to be a nice notebook.
>
> "ilegal" <ilegal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi there
> > just a question....
> > is it ok to keep my laptop (dell inspiron 1100) on all the time?
> > am constantly downloading stuff so i leave it day and night on.... i just
> > thought that maybe it requires some hours off too.... i dont want to burn
> > it....
> > or laptops are capable to be operational all the time?...i've been 2 weeks
> > with the laptop on.....ans everything seems ok...but i prefer to ask the
> > experts here
> >
> > thanks
> > novicio

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 8:02:50 PM

You can save a lot of trouble and improve your productivity
by buying a nice desktop and use the laptop for portable
rather than stationary duty.

A $400 Dell and a $50 WiFi router/base station would allow
the desktop to download 24/7 and the laptop could be used
around the house for email, surfing, etc.

| hello "R"
| thanks for your prompt reply too.
| i checked the converter and its warm so i think its not a
problem but i
| decided to lift the laptop and touch it at the bottom and
its pretty hot (i
| guess is normal since its been working forever but still
wanted to mention it
| in case this is not normal).
|
| just another question, i think 80% of the time my laptop
is not in
| hibernation cuz i have some files and videos downloading
constantly from
| emule so i dont think my lap gets in the hibernation stage
often. Just wanted
| to mention that in case you have sthg else to say.
|
| thanks again Mr McCarty
|
| el novicio
|
| "R. McCarty" wrote:
|
| > Probably OK. Notebooks are designed to enter a low power
mode
| > (Standby or Hibernate) after a period of inactivity.
Drives spin down
| > and many devices power off. My only concern is the AC
adapter,
| > Dell has had many recalls because of AC/DC converters
that can
| > overheat and possibly cause a fire. Probably not a
major concern
| > but I would occasionally check the converter and see how
hot it is.
| > I have an older Dell notebook and it's power converter
gets very
| > warm after just an hour or two of use. One of my son's
good friends
| > has a 1100 I maintain and it seems to be a nice
notebook.

| > "ilegal" <ilegal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

| > > hi there
| > > just a question....
| > > is it ok to keep my laptop (dell inspiron 1100) on all
the time?
| > > am constantly downloading stuff so i leave it day and
night on.... i just
| > > thought that maybe it requires some hours off too....
i dont want to burn
| > > it....
| > > or laptops are capable to be operational all the
time?...i've been 2 weeks
| > > with the laptop on.....ans everything seems ok...but i
prefer to ask the
| > > experts here
| > >
| > > thanks
| > > novicio

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 11:45:05 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:05:57 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>The computer will run 24/7/365 as long as it is positioned
>so it can get cooling air flow. But the battery may suffer
>from being on charge 24/7. It depends a lot on what battery
>you have, newer tech batteries are more resistant to memory
>effect and heat.
>
>What does Dell say about the issue?

I haven't seen a laptop sold now in some time that comes with a NiCad
or NiMHD battery. Those were the rechargeables that suffered from the
memory effect.

These days laptops are sold with LiOn batteries. They aren't subject
to the Memory problems of their predecessors.
July 1, 2005 4:00:56 PM

I would disagree with Macklin here. I would in fact say that it's a very
good idea to stick with the laptop if its problem free. Pentium M chips are
very good, known to run without issues even at 90C ambient temperature under
testing. The bottom of the laptop getting warm is normal. It should not
scald your skin. Also, laptops consume incredibly low amounts of energy -
consider this; a high end Pentium M chip is rated at 27W while a P4 3GHz is
rated at 120W under full load. This is a prodigious waste of energy.
Considering the machine will be active in the night you stand to save
considerably on your electricity bill.

Laptops are not built like they used to be any more. I have a Toshiba A80
and an Athlon64 3200+, and the laptop regularly starts applications faster.
The desktop is faster for games (due to the graphics card 6600GT) and hard
disk access. I have an application called Toshiba Power Saver that allows
you to configure settings for processor speed (using speed step), screen
brightness, cooling method etc., that will enable it to consume even less
power by reducing clock speed - Just what someone like you needs in the
night, when demands for processor speed are much lesser. Check if you have
a similar application.

And assuming your machine has no issues, there is absolutely no problem with
using a laptop 24x7x365. They are, in fact, built in a more rugged manner
than desktops.

"ilegal" <ilegal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello "R"
> thanks for your prompt reply too.
> i checked the converter and its warm so i think its not a problem but i
> decided to lift the laptop and touch it at the bottom and its pretty hot
> (i
> guess is normal since its been working forever but still wanted to mention
> it
> in case this is not normal).
>
> just another question, i think 80% of the time my laptop is not in
> hibernation cuz i have some files and videos downloading constantly from
> emule so i dont think my lap gets in the hibernation stage often. Just
> wanted
> to mention that in case you have sthg else to say.
>
> thanks again Mr McCarty
>
> el novicio
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Probably OK. Notebooks are designed to enter a low power mode
>> (Standby or Hibernate) after a period of inactivity. Drives spin down
>> and many devices power off. My only concern is the AC adapter,
>> Dell has had many recalls because of AC/DC converters that can
>> overheat and possibly cause a fire. Probably not a major concern
>> but I would occasionally check the converter and see how hot it is.
>> I have an older Dell notebook and it's power converter gets very
>> warm after just an hour or two of use. One of my son's good friends
>> has a 1100 I maintain and it seems to be a nice notebook.
>>
>> "ilegal" <ilegal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi there
>> > just a question....
>> > is it ok to keep my laptop (dell inspiron 1100) on all the time?
>> > am constantly downloading stuff so i leave it day and night on.... i
>> > just
>> > thought that maybe it requires some hours off too.... i dont want to
>> > burn
>> > it....
>> > or laptops are capable to be operational all the time?...i've been 2
>> > weeks
>> > with the laptop on.....ans everything seems ok...but i prefer to ask
>> > the
>> > experts here
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > novicio

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 4:00:57 PM

My primary reasoning on getting a desktop is that having two
computers is better than one simply because you have more
options and versatility. The laptop can be used anywhere
while the desktop is always connected and doing the
scheduled downloads.

Laptops generally cost more than a desktop. They are often
more convenient and will do anything a desktop can do. But
just like cars, airplanes or trucks, certain specs are
better for certain tasks.

The desktop used for downloads can be a 2.0 GHz Celeron and
it will be running at 20%, you don't need a top end system
to allow you to use the laptop when and where you want or
need to.

some support

!