Info about mem

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
this might be a row of n00b questions, but i want to clearify
some things about memory. so here goes.

1 :what is the diffrence between registered and non-registered and buffered and non-buffered
2 :why do motherboards have a difficult time useing dubblesided insted of single sided.
3 :how do i know if my memory is running with the correct SPD

i had just bought a couple of Corsair XMS 1 512Mb sticks for my PC, and after i had installed them, my system realy started F**ing up bigtime, alot of BSOD's and stuff, i didnt test them useing memtest86, i just returned them so i dont know if there where errors on them but i dont think there where, and the specification for my mother board says that i sohuld be able to use them.
im currently useing SimplTech 512 dubbelsided mem CL2.5 333 MHz, and they run fine allthough my motherboard shouldnt be able to handle them.

system spec:
MSI KT6 Delta FISR
Athlon XP 2600+ (2131 MHz)
1 GB in 2*512 MB Dubblesided SimpleTech DDR RAM sticks CL2.5
200GB Maxtor Fluid Sata HDD 8MB cache
Soundblaster audigy 2 ZS
Radeon 9800 Pro 128M DDR 256BIT mem interface.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by optimist on 07/14/04 05:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Registered(Buffered) delays memory information for one clock cycle to ensure all communications from the chipset is collected by the clock edge, providing a controlled delay on heavily loaded memory. It ensures that all data is needed is ready to be transmitted and then commits it to the memory. It does lower the performance slightly. unregistered(unbuffered) is the standard memory you see every day which is used to store information until it is needed by the OS or chipset.

Some motherboards will have a difficult time using the doublesided memory mainly because of the chipset and its banking limitation, banking limits the type of memory the system can use. If the motherboard can use two doublesided and 1 or 2 singlesided modules then the maximum banks a motherboard has is 4. Since a double sided module takes two banks it is important to find out how many banks your motherboard has to determine if you can use more then one double sided module. Single sided modules are easier for the motherboard to use because they only take 1 bank per each module.

When you look in the BIOS and the memory timing are set to auto or by SPD then you know the system is using the memory by SPD. There isn't really any other way to tell to tell.

Some of the problems you were experiencing could have been fixed by calling tech support for your memory. The operating system may needed to be tweaked to use all the memory. What OS are you running?

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CrucialLabs on 07/14/04 06:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Use CPUz, just google and download the program will give you info on your cpu/ram

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0