  • Registry Cleaner
  • Registry
  • Windows XP
June 30, 2005 4:23:06 PM

I recently ran a registry cleaner on my PC and managed to annihilate my
system registry. I was recommended to re-install Windows, but I couldn't get
it to work - the screens I was getting didn't look familiar and it was asking
me about partitions and when I accepted the partition that Windows was on
already, it told me that there wasn't enough room for it.

Therefore, I just ran a repair on it. Will this have replaced the corrupt
registry that I had? Or will I still have the same problems that I already
had?

Thank you,

Alison

More about : install recovery windows

July 1, 2005 3:05:52 AM

Alison wrote:

> I recently ran a registry cleaner on my PC and managed to annihilate my
> system registry. I was recommended to re-install Windows, but I couldn't get
> it to work - the screens I was getting didn't look familiar and it was asking
> me about partitions and when I accepted the partition that Windows was on
> already, it told me that there wasn't enough room for it.
>
> Therefore, I just ran a repair on it. Will this have replaced the corrupt
> registry that I had? Or will I still have the same problems that I already
> had?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Alison

Is it running now? That is the test. Yes a repair install should fix
the registry for XP but there might be problems with other programs
depending on what the "registry cleaner" did.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Yes, it seems to be running OK now. Everything else seems to be alright too
- so far anyway!! The only problem I've had is that Acrobat isn't opening
some PDF files straight from the brower, but I can live with that!!

Many thanks - and I'll not make the same mistake again.

Alison

"Rock" wrote:

> Alison wrote:
>
> > I recently ran a registry cleaner on my PC and managed to annihilate my
> > system registry. I was recommended to re-install Windows, but I couldn't get
> > it to work - the screens I was getting didn't look familiar and it was asking
> > me about partitions and when I accepted the partition that Windows was on
> > already, it told me that there wasn't enough room for it.
> >
> > Therefore, I just ran a repair on it. Will this have replaced the corrupt
> > registry that I had? Or will I still have the same problems that I already
> > had?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Alison
> >

> Is it running now? That is the test. Yes a repair install should fix
> the registry for XP but there might be problems with other programs
> depending on what the "registry cleaner" did.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:49:44 AM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:23:06 -0700, Alison
<Alison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently ran a registry cleaner on my PC and managed to annihilate my
>system registry. I was recommended to re-install Windows, but I couldn't get
>it to work - the screens I was getting didn't look familiar and it was asking
>me about partitions and when I accepted the partition that Windows was on
>already, it told me that there wasn't enough room for it.
>
>Therefore, I just ran a repair on it. Will this have replaced the corrupt
>registry that I had? Or will I still have the same problems that I already
>had?

Alison, I suppose it's a bit late to tell you to back up your
registry before you run an unknown program that will be working with
the registry. That's one of the touchiest parts of the system.

In fact, you can assume nothing about how well your computer will
work from one minute to the next, so it's best to know how to back up
all your crucial data and your C: (system) partition. If anything
happens you can get your computer running quickly without having to
reinstall too much software.

The question now is whether subtle registry corruption will alter the
way that some of your files operate (you already mentioned PDF files.
I hope you don't notice more later.). If you've lost functionality of
a lot of programs, you may want to simply start over with a fresh
installl of XP and all programs. AGAIN...Back up anything that you
want to save beforehand.

Ask here if you need to find out about backing up system, data, or
registry.

BTW, Which registry program was it?
!