Need to Configure Joy Stick to Controller ID #1

bill

For some reason one of my XP Home computers after not being used for gaming
for some time will no longer find my Joystick when running Jetfighter IV. I
have uninstalled/re-installed the game, made sure Joystick in enabled in the
game, updated Direct X, disconnected all my USB devices. The Joystick shows
up under Game Controllers, but the software will not find the Joystick.
Tried two different Joysticks and a game pad with no luck. The game and
controller is working fine on two other XP Home computers. I read up and
apparently this older game requires the Joystick to be configured to
Controller I.D. #1. I have no idea how do this in XP Home. I checked all
three computers an none show the game controllers in the Device Manager. I
am guessing the problem may be caused by another device having taken the #1
position, but I do not know how to reconfigure the ID's. Help appreciated.
Bill

Hi Bill,

To set your controller as the preferred device for older games,
go into the Game Controllers applet in Control Panel, click
the Advanced button, and select your Joystick and click OK.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Bill" <bdmvalentine@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ux6iIFLOFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> For some reason one of my XP Home computers after not being used for gaming
> for some time will no longer find my Joystick when running Jetfighter IV. I
> have uninstalled/re-installed the game, made sure Joystick in enabled in the
> game, updated Direct X, disconnected all my USB devices. The Joystick shows
> up under Game Controllers, but the software will not find the Joystick.
> Tried two different Joysticks and a game pad with no luck. The game and
> controller is working fine on two other XP Home computers. I read up and
> apparently this older game requires the Joystick to be configured to
> Controller I.D. #1. I have no idea how do this in XP Home. I checked all
> three computers an none show the game controllers in the Device Manager. I
> am guessing the problem may be caused by another device having taken the #1
> position, but I do not know how to reconfigure the ID's. Help appreciated.
> Bill

bill

Thanks Jimmy!

I did do that. Interesting the devices work fine on this computer for other
LAN network games, but for some reason it stopped working on Jetfighter IV.
I read up and the problem is documented about the game shutting down when
starting if the controller is not in the #1 position. Thought the newly
installed printer or some other USB device may have stolen the spot as they
are all USB driven. I'll keep at it, if you have any other thoughts let me
know. Thanks again. Bill

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
Hi Bill,

To set your controller as the preferred device for older games,
go into the Game Controllers applet in Control Panel, click
the Advanced button, and select your Joystick and click OK.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Bill" <bdmvalentine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> For some reason one of my XP Home computers after not being used for
> gaming
> for some time will no longer find my Joystick when running Jetfighter IV.
> have uninstalled/re-installed the game, made sure Joystick in enabled in
> the
> game, updated Direct X, disconnected all my USB devices. The Joystick
> shows
> up under Game Controllers, but the software will not find the Joystick.
> Tried two different Joysticks and a game pad with no luck. The game and
> controller is working fine on two other XP Home computers. I read up and
> apparently this older game requires the Joystick to be configured to
> Controller I.D. #1. I have no idea how do this in XP Home. I checked
> all
> three computers an none show the game controllers in the Device Manager.
> am guessing the problem may be caused by another device having taken the
> position, but I do not know how to reconfigure the ID's. Help
> appreciated.
> Bill

Hi Bill,

Another thought would be to unplug any USB devices which you
have added since that problem began and then launch the game.

--

"Bill" <bdmvalentine@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e$OouTMOFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| Thanks Jimmy!
|
| I did do that. Interesting the devices work fine on this computer for other
| LAN network games, but for some reason it stopped working on Jetfighter IV.
| I read up and the problem is documented about the game shutting down when
| starting if the controller is not in the #1 position. Thought the newly
| installed printer or some other USB device may have stolen the spot as they
| are all USB driven. I'll keep at it, if you have any other thoughts let me
| know. Thanks again. Bill
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| Hi Bill,
|
| To set your controller as the preferred device for older games,
| go into the Game Controllers applet in Control Panel, click
| the Advanced button, and select your Joystick and click OK.
|
| --
| Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
|
| Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| _________________________________________________________
|
| "Bill" <bdmvalentine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > For some reason one of my XP Home computers after not being used for
| > gaming
| > for some time will no longer find my Joystick when running Jetfighter IV.
| > have uninstalled/re-installed the game, made sure Joystick in enabled in
| > the
| > game, updated Direct X, disconnected all my USB devices. The Joystick
| > shows
| > up under Game Controllers, but the software will not find the Joystick.
| > Tried two different Joysticks and a game pad with no luck. The game and
| > controller is working fine on two other XP Home computers. I read up and
| > apparently this older game requires the Joystick to be configured to
| > Controller I.D. #1. I have no idea how do this in XP Home. I checked
| > all
| > three computers an none show the game controllers in the Device Manager.
| > am guessing the problem may be caused by another device having taken the
| > position, but I do not know how to reconfigure the ID's. Help
| > appreciated.
| > Bill

TRENDING THREADS