I can only hold 10,000 files in 1 folder

June 30, 2005 4:49:05 PM

Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files in any one
given folder?

More about : hold 000 files folder

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 5:11:48 PM

In news:6BB0F98B-6C08-469E-8542-344516767333@microsoft.com,
DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files
> in any
> one given folder?

Use NTFS instead of FAT32.

The FAT32 limit you're running into isn't exactly 10,000 files,
it's 64K *entries*. Because files with long file names use more
than one entry, the actual file limit is lower than 64K--in your
case considerably lower. If you shorten your file names, you can
get much closer to 64K without converting to NTFS.

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 1, 2005 1:29:01 AM

I am using and was using NTFS. I still cant hold more than 10,000. The total
space it is taking up is 8.5 gig, but that (i dont think) is the problem.
There has got to be a way to uncap this, and yes i am sure it is running
NTFS. My hardrive is a Maxtor 6Y080M0. I am running on a Dell. Let me know if
i can give you any other information about my system...

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:6BB0F98B-6C08-469E-8542-344516767333@microsoft.com,
> DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files
> > in any
> > one given folder?
>

> Use NTFS instead of FAT32.
>
> The FAT32 limit you're running into isn't exactly 10,000 files,
> it's 64K *entries*. Because files with long file names use more
> than one entry, the actual file limit is lower than 64K--in your
> case considerably lower. If you shorten your file names, you can
> get much closer to 64K without converting to NTFS.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:22:52 AM

DingleFritz wrote:
> I am using and was using NTFS. I still cant hold more than 10,000. The total
> space it is taking up is 8.5 gig, but that (i dont think) is the problem.
> There has got to be a way to uncap this, and yes i am sure it is running
> NTFS. My hardrive is a Maxtor 6Y080M0. I am running on a Dell. Let me know if
> i can give you any other information about my system...
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>

>>In news:6BB0F98B-6C08-469E-8542-344516767333@microsoft.com,
>>DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>

>>>Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files
>>>in any
>>>one given folder?
>>

>>Use NTFS instead of FAT32.
>>
>>The FAT32 limit you're running into isn't exactly 10,000 files,
>>it's 64K *entries*. Because files with long file names use more
>>than one entry, the actual file limit is lower than 64K--in your
>>case considerably lower. If you shorten your file names, you can
>>get much closer to 64K without converting to NTFS.
>>
>>--
>>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken - I'm another one who has problems with explorer and
compound (long ) video filenames. When i try to shorten ,
then back out of folder, explorer bombs/hangs (inop).
Could this be the problem here too?

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

In news:983AE5CF-D7F5-4E74-B537-B0F392BAF86D@microsoft.com,
DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I am using and was using NTFS. I still cant hold more than
> 10,000.
> The total space it is taking up is 8.5 gig, but that (i dont
> think)
> is the problem. There has got to be a way to uncap this, and
> yes i am
> sure it is running NTFS. My hardrive is a Maxtor 6Y080M0. I am
> running on a Dell. Let me know if i can give you any other
> information about my system...

Sorry, in that case I don't know what your problem is. The NTFS
limit is much larger than 10,000, so you're not running into its
limit.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:6BB0F98B-6C08-469E-8542-344516767333@microsoft.com,
>> DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000
>>> files
>>> in any
>>> one given folder?
>>

>> Use NTFS instead of FAT32.
>>
>> The FAT32 limit you're running into isn't exactly 10,000
>> files,
>> it's 64K *entries*. Because files with long file names use
>> more
>> than one entry, the actual file limit is lower than 64K--in
>> your
>> case considerably lower. If you shorten your file names, you
>> can
>> get much closer to 64K without converting to NTFS.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:55:04 PM

There is NO 10,000 file in a folder limit in NTFS. Your problem is
something else. What does the error message say? If i was to make a
guess, you probably have created a problem with filenames.

!