I can only hold 10,000 files in 1 folder

Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files in any one
given folder?
6 answers Last reply
More about hold files folder

    In news:6BB0F98B-6C08-469E-8542-344516767333@microsoft.com,
    DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files
    > in any
    > one given folder?

    Use NTFS instead of FAT32.

    The FAT32 limit you're running into isn't exactly 10,000 files,
    it's 64K *entries*. Because files with long file names use more
    than one entry, the actual file limit is lower than 64K--in your
    case considerably lower. If you shorten your file names, you can
    get much closer to 64K without converting to NTFS.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    This link may help.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "DingleFritz" wrote:
    | Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files in any one
    | given folder?

    I am using and was using NTFS. I still cant hold more than 10,000. The total
    space it is taking up is 8.5 gig, but that (i dont think) is the problem.
    There has got to be a way to uncap this, and yes i am sure it is running
    NTFS. My hardrive is a Maxtor 6Y080M0. I am running on a Dell. Let me know if
    i can give you any other information about my system...

    DingleFritz wrote:
    > I am using and was using NTFS. I still cant hold more than 10,000. The total
    > space it is taking up is 8.5 gig, but that (i dont think) is the problem.
    > There has got to be a way to uncap this, and yes i am sure it is running
    > NTFS. My hardrive is a Maxtor 6Y080M0. I am running on a Dell. Let me know if
    > i can give you any other information about my system...
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >

    >>In news:6BB0F98B-6C08-469E-8542-344516767333@microsoft.com,
    >>DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>

    >>>Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files
    >>>in any
    >>>one given folder?
    >>

    >>Use NTFS instead of FAT32.
    >>
    >>The FAT32 limit you're running into isn't exactly 10,000 files,
    >>it's 64K *entries*. Because files with long file names use more
    >>than one entry, the actual file limit is lower than 64K--in your
    >>case considerably lower. If you shorten your file names, you can
    >>get much closer to 64K without converting to NTFS.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken - I'm another one who has problems with explorer and
    compound (long ) video filenames. When i try to shorten ,
    then back out of folder, explorer bombs/hangs (inop).
    Could this be the problem here too?

    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

    In news:983AE5CF-D7F5-4E74-B537-B0F392BAF86D@microsoft.com,
    DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I am using and was using NTFS. I still cant hold more than
    > 10,000.
    > The total space it is taking up is 8.5 gig, but that (i dont
    > think)
    > is the problem. There has got to be a way to uncap this, and
    > yes i am
    > sure it is running NTFS. My hardrive is a Maxtor 6Y080M0. I am
    > running on a Dell. Let me know if i can give you any other
    > information about my system...

    Sorry, in that case I don't know what your problem is. The NTFS
    limit is much larger than 10,000, so you're not running into its
    limit.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:6BB0F98B-6C08-469E-8542-344516767333@microsoft.com,
    >> DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000
    >>> files
    >>> in any
    >>> one given folder?
    >>

    >> Use NTFS instead of FAT32.
    >>
    >> The FAT32 limit you're running into isn't exactly 10,000
    >> files,
    >> it's 64K *entries*. Because files with long file names use
    >> more
    >> than one entry, the actual file limit is lower than 64K--in
    >> your
    >> case considerably lower. If you shorten your file names, you
    >> can
    >> get much closer to 64K without converting to NTFS.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    There is NO 10,000 file in a folder limit in NTFS. Your problem is
    something else. What does the error message say? If i was to make a
    guess, you probably have created a problem with filenames.

    DingleFritz wrote:

    > I am using and was using NTFS. I still cant hold more than 10,000. The total
    > space it is taking up is 8.5 gig, but that (i dont think) is the problem.
    > There has got to be a way to uncap this, and yes i am sure it is running
    > NTFS. My hardrive is a Maxtor 6Y080M0. I am running on a Dell. Let me know if
    > i can give you any other information about my system...
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >

    >>In news:6BB0F98B-6C08-469E-8542-344516767333@microsoft.com,
    >>DingleFritz <DingleFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>

    >>>Is there a way to make it so i can hold more than 10,000 files
    >>>in any
    >>>one given folder?
    >>

    >>Use NTFS instead of FAT32.
    >>
    >>The FAT32 limit you're running into isn't exactly 10,000 files,
    >>it's 64K *entries*. Because files with long file names use more
    >>than one entry, the actual file limit is lower than 64K--in your
    >>case considerably lower. If you shorten your file names, you can
    >>get much closer to 64K without converting to NTFS.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Windows XP