Sign in with
Your question

Random Crashes? (Not sure if right place to post)

Last response: in Windows 7
August 31, 2012 3:06:20 AM

I built my new computer about 2 months ago, and it has been working perfectly since about 1 week ago.

The problem I'm about to describe has only happened once before.

Occasionally, my screen will randomly freeze (not a blue screen or anything), and ctrl+alt+del doesn't work. Neither does the power button on my case.

The only way for me to restart my computer is by pressing the reset button on my case.

My parts in my build were:
ASrock Extreme 4 LGA1155 Motherboard
i5-3570k 3.4 ghz processor
8 gb Vengeance ram
64 gb Crucial M4 boot drive
Seasonic M12II 520W PSU
don't think it's necessary to list the other parts...

If anybody could help me figure whats going on it would be much appreciated.

Edit: forgot PSU
Edit #2: After posting this, I had about three 1-second long black screens, on the final one it did not return to my original screen. I then tried restarting several times, all with no success. I then booted in to safe mode and system restored to two days ago. Will update on what happens...

Edit #3: After another freeze, PC will not boot up. Can only boot up in safe mode. In normal mode, after the windows logo disappears, the screen will go black and nothing will happen.
a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2012 3:22:45 AM

How is your monitor connected to the graphics card? HDMI or DVI? I ask because I had a similar problem with random black screens and when I switched the cable from HDMI to DVI the problem disappeared.
m
l
August 31, 2012 4:09:56 AM

I have been using a DVI cable since I got the computer, but I don't think that has anything to do with what's going on as I'm unable to restart my computer or enter task manager either.
m
l
August 31, 2012 5:05:33 AM

I would start with memory diagnostic. Run memtest (memtest.org). Try to boot with one stick at a time.
If that won't help, try another graphic card. Also your boot drive may be a culprit. Try to reinstall windows and see if that helps.
m
l
!