Home Network

Hi.

Here's the deal.

I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
network hub.

All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.

If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
because all three computers try to use the same IP.

Any help is appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about home network

    Hi Helio,

    Here's the REAL deal.

    In order to network the three computers to all use the internet at the same
    time you must have a DHCP Service of some kind. A network hub does not come
    supplied with this service and will not allow you to all access the internet
    at once. What you need is a DSL/Cable Router. Best brand to get is Linksys
    but all of them will get the job done just expect more problems with the
    other brand and more resets needed. Go get urself a router and you will be
    off to the races. but for now you are stuck 1 at a time the static IP won't
    work to connect to the internet just to share files. Good luck

    Joe
    Kemco IT Professional

    "Heliostrapolis" wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > Here's the deal.
    >
    > I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
    > network hub.
    >
    > All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
    > the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
    >
    > If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
    > because all three computers try to use the same IP.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    Replace the hub with a cable/dsl router.

    "Heliostrapolis" <Heliostrapolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to
    > configure
    > the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
    >
    > If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
    > because all three computers try to use the same IP.

    2 options off the top of my head that'll work. How well is debatable,
    however...

    First option is to get a router, and have the router manage the internet
    connection as well as provide DHCP service for the PCs hooked up to it.

    The other option would be to get a second network card for one of your
    computers. Once the card's installed, connect one of the cards to the
    high-speed modem and the other to the first (or source) connection on the
    hub. Run the "Network Set-up" wizard on the computer, and specify that
    other computers get their internet access through that one. Tell the other
    PCs that they get their access through a network gateway, and everything
    should work fine. At least it did when I set up 5 computers up this way a
    couple years back.

    Heliostrapolis wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Here's the deal.
    >
    > I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
    > network hub.
    >
    > All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
    > the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
    >
    > If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
    > because all three computers try to use the same IP.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    Replace the hub with a router that has DHCP Server capability. Then
    you won't have 3 computers all trying to get their IP address from your ISP.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In article <75F440F0-A824-431C-9E30-FBF7C964210D@microsoft.com>,
    "Kemco" <Kemco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >"Heliostrapolis" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> Here's the deal.
    >>
    >> I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
    >> network hub.
    >>
    >> All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
    >> the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
    >>
    >> If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
    >> because all three computers try to use the same IP.
    >>
    >> Any help is appreciated.
    >
    >Hi Helio,
    >
    >Here's the REAL deal.
    >
    >In order to network the three computers to all use the internet at the same
    >time you must have a DHCP Service of some kind.

    Not really. DHCP is by far the most common, but some ISPs provide
    static IP addresses. You can also use static IP addresses on a LAN
    with a cable/DSL router.

    >A network hub does not come supplied with this service and will not allow you to
    >all access the internet at once.

    I agree that a network hub won't let multiple computers access the
    Internet through a single ISP-provided IP address.

    A network hub can allow multiple computers to access the Internet if
    you get multiple IP addresses from your ISP. With that setup, each
    computer gets its own IP address (static or dynamic) and connects to
    the Internet independently. However, it's usually hard to share files
    securely between your computers with that setup, because the computers
    have public IP addresses that are accessible by other Internet users.

    >What you need is a DSL/Cable Router. Best brand to get is Linksys
    >but all of them will get the job done just expect more problems with the
    >other brand and more resets needed. Go get urself a router and you will be
    >off to the races. but for now you are stuck 1 at a time the static IP won't
    >work to connect to the internet just to share files. Good luck

    I agree that a DSL/cable router is the best choice for most people.
    It can share one ISP-provided IP address between multiple computers
    and let them share files securely.

    I've had far more trouble with Linksys equipment that with any other
    brand -- so much that I won't buy Linksys for myself or for my
    consulting clients. I prefer Belkin, Netgear, D-Link, and Motorola.

    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message

    > I agree that a network hub won't let multiple computers access the
    > Internet through a single ISP-provided IP address.

    A hub will let you split a connection between multiple computers if you rig
    one of the machines to act as a router. The internet connection sharing
    feature in XP Pro is a fairly simple and cheap (cost of an extra NIC) way of
    doing it. Not as good as a dedicated router, but it'll get the job done in
    a pinch.

Computers Windows XP