Home Network

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
June 30, 2005 6:00:01 PM

Hi.

Here's the deal.

I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
network hub.

All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.

If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
because all three computers try to use the same IP.

Any help is appreciated.

More about : home network

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:14:03 PM

Hi Helio,

Here's the REAL deal.

In order to network the three computers to all use the internet at the same
time you must have a DHCP Service of some kind. A network hub does not come
supplied with this service and will not allow you to all access the internet
at once. What you need is a DSL/Cable Router. Best brand to get is Linksys
but all of them will get the job done just expect more problems with the
other brand and more resets needed. Go get urself a router and you will be
off to the races. but for now you are stuck 1 at a time the static IP won't
work to connect to the internet just to share files. Good luck

Joe
Kemco IT Professional

"Heliostrapolis" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Here's the deal.
>
> I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
> network hub.
>
> All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
> the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
>
> If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
> because all three computers try to use the same IP.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:03:31 PM

Replace the hub with a cable/dsl router.

Heliostrapolis wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Here's the deal.
>
> I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
> network hub.
>
> All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
> the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
>
> If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
> because all three computers try to use the same IP.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

June 30, 2005 9:22:09 PM

"Heliostrapolis" <Heliostrapolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to
> configure
> the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
>
> If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
> because all three computers try to use the same IP.

2 options off the top of my head that'll work. How well is debatable,
however...

First option is to get a router, and have the router manage the internet
connection as well as provide DHCP service for the PCs hooked up to it.

The other option would be to get a second network card for one of your
computers. Once the card's installed, connect one of the cards to the
high-speed modem and the other to the first (or source) connection on the
hub. Run the "Network Set-up" wizard on the computer, and specify that
other computers get their internet access through that one. Tell the other
PCs that they get their access through a network gateway, and everything
should work fine. At least it did when I set up 5 computers up this way a
couple years back.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:50:08 AM

Heliostrapolis wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Here's the deal.
>
> I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
> network hub.
>
> All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
> the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
>
> If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
> because all three computers try to use the same IP.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Replace the hub with a router that has DHCP Server capability. Then
you won't have 3 computers all trying to get their IP address from your ISP.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:50:11 AM

In article <75F440F0-A824-431C-9E30-FBF7C964210D@microsoft.com>,
"Kemco" <Kemco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>"Heliostrapolis" wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Here's the deal.
>>
>> I have high-speed internet, and three computers connected to it through a
>> network hub.
>>
>> All three have windows Xp home, and what I need to know, is how to configure
>> the tcp/ip protocols? Mainly the IP.
>>
>> If I set each computer to "Automatically detect settings" I get an error
>> because all three computers try to use the same IP.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>
>Hi Helio,
>
>Here's the REAL deal.
>
>In order to network the three computers to all use the internet at the same
>time you must have a DHCP Service of some kind.

Not really. DHCP is by far the most common, but some ISPs provide
static IP addresses. You can also use static IP addresses on a LAN
with a cable/DSL router.

>A network hub does not come supplied with this service and will not allow you to
>all access the internet at once.

I agree that a network hub won't let multiple computers access the
Internet through a single ISP-provided IP address.

A network hub can allow multiple computers to access the Internet if
you get multiple IP addresses from your ISP. With that setup, each
computer gets its own IP address (static or dynamic) and connects to
the Internet independently. However, it's usually hard to share files
securely between your computers with that setup, because the computers
have public IP addresses that are accessible by other Internet users.

>What you need is a DSL/Cable Router. Best brand to get is Linksys
>but all of them will get the job done just expect more problems with the
>other brand and more resets needed. Go get urself a router and you will be
>off to the races. but for now you are stuck 1 at a time the static IP won't
>work to connect to the internet just to share files. Good luck

I agree that a DSL/cable router is the best choice for most people.
It can share one ISP-provided IP address between multiple computers
and let them share files securely.

I've had far more trouble with Linksys equipment that with any other
brand -- so much that I won't buy Linksys for myself or for my
consulting clients. I prefer Belkin, Netgear, D-Link, and Motorola.

--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:33:40 AM

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message

> I agree that a network hub won't let multiple computers access the
> Internet through a single ISP-provided IP address.

A hub will let you split a connection between multiple computers if you rig
one of the machines to act as a router. The internet connection sharing
feature in XP Pro is a fairly simple and cheap (cost of an extra NIC) way of
doing it. Not as good as a dedicated router, but it'll get the job done in
a pinch.
!