Crossover games

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Anyone had any luck with crossover games, especially where you have both
high tech and also magic?

I'm thinking about running such a system at some point in the future, and
I'd like to see what has and hasn't worked for others before I take the
plunge.
10 answers Last reply
More about crossover games
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    "Rick Massey" <seafox@gypsyheir.con> wrote in

    > Anyone had any luck with crossover games, especially where you
    > have both high tech and also magic?

    Shadowrun comes pretty close to that.

    --
    Marc
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Marc L. wrote:
    > "Rick Massey" <seafox@gypsyheir.con> wrote in
    >

    >>Anyone had any luck with crossover games, especially where you
    >>have both high tech and also magic?
    >>

    > Shadowrun comes pretty close to that.

    So does Rifts (though I'm not a fan of the system).
    Ken
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 17:34:22 -0500, "Rick Massey" <seafox@gypsyheir.con>
    wrote:

    > Anyone had any luck with crossover games, especially where you have both
    > high tech and also magic?

    I've been running a dimension-hopping game for over ten years that has that
    in spades.

    --
    "It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
    reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we

    Rick Massey <seafox@gypsyheir.con> wrote:
    >Anyone had any luck with crossover games, especially where you have both
    >high tech and also magic?

    >I'm thinking about running such a system at some point in the future, and
    >I'd like to see what has and hasn't worked for others before I take the
    >plunge.

    The first and most obvious thing to come to mind is to not let
    either overshadow the other. It'd be perfectly okay if magic
    was better than tech at some things and tech was better than
    magic at others. That's the kind of flavor that players like,
    and it gives them an incentive to use both tech and magic in
    the party. Neither should be overall more powerful than the other,
    though, and if your game has as much combat as most RPGs than
    they should definitely be just about equal for combat purposes.

    That can be easier said than done, though. It depends on
    the game. In a game like GURPS, for example, magic can be
    powerful and versatile, but guns are almost always going
    to be a better choice in combat, for two reasons. First,
    they just do more damage than most magic spells. Second,
    magical abilities have to be purchased individually with
    character points. Gun skills have to be purchased with
    points, as well, but the guns themselves just cost money.
    I first ran into this problem in a superheroes game, not
    a fantasy one, where my Punisher-style vigilante easily
    matched the other characters in terms of damage output
    and could also afford all sorts of useful skills that
    they couldn't.

    That's not to say GURPS magic is useless in a game
    with guns or other high tech. There are lots of spells
    that are more subtle and even some specific ones that
    will ruin a gun-god's day. And the bad guys can't
    take your magic spells away from you when they capture
    you, to name another advantage. Overall, though, guns
    are a must-have for combat if they're available. Magic
    is a nice-to-have.

    I'm not sure what the best way to guard against that
    sort of thing in another game would be. I think the
    first step would be to really think about what each
    piece of magic or tech you're making available can
    do. Even something like cellphones or flashlights
    can be extremely useful, and everyone's likely to
    want them and other bits of tech we take for granted.
    And that's fine, of course, as long as it doesn't
    leave the poor magic guys out of luck having spent
    their points on communication and illumination spells.
    Of course, those spells are likely to be very useful
    in areas where the flashlights and cellphones don't
    work for whatever reason. That might not be enough
    to make them attractive options for the magic types,
    though.

    I think one good way to balance tech vs. magic would
    be to look at both and make sure they each have their
    own niche where they're definitely superior. Magical
    healing, for example, is extremely useful and likely
    to be better than high tech healing until you get
    past even the Star Trek level of technology. Nobody
    likes to be just the party healer, but that niche
    protection can make magic a viable choice as long
    as it can also compete in other ways.

    Tech, on the other hand, doesn't have to be so
    protected, in my opinion. In any game where magic
    is an option, not everyone is going to take it.
    Those who don't - and even those who do, if possible -
    are going to want to use any number of the tech toys
    you make available. If anyone can use tech, it will
    definitely get used even if it's inferior to magic
    in some ways. I think the biggest challenge with the
    tech will be to make sure it doesn't overshadow magic,
    especially in combat as I said above. You should
    also give tech its own superior niche or niches,
    to make it a viable specialty for character who
    like to play gadgeteers and scientists, but I
    wouldn't worry too much about it. Tech will sell
    itself, while magic might (stress the might) need
    some help.

    It occurs to me that this would possibly be easier
    if I knew what game system you're using.

    Pete
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    System is a complex thing, because I can guarantee you've never heard of it.
    The system, called Artistry, is totally skill based with no levels, classes,
    or combat rounds. (It uses free-form init) The system is extremely flexible
    and just about every weapon you can name (with the exception of things from
    Stargate and Andromeda) is represented on the list of weapons.

    The system is designed to create heroic level characters as starting
    characters, what old AD&D players would think of as 5-7 level characters,
    and the magic system is capable of very powerful effects, especially if the
    mage is willing to risk backlash if they flub a roll.

    For weapons combat, there are two systems. The more advanced system requires
    a custom Excel spreadsheet to get results, while the more basic system uses
    rolemaster combat charts.

    Since it was designed as a wide open system, there has always been a
    provision for high tech weapons alongside thrown rocks and clubs.

    Free form init really adds a different dimension to combat, as it takes
    into account the weapon, any maneuvers, and the fighter's speed to
    determine when they attack, and this results in varied attack times for each
    combatant and a high reliance on the fighter's speed to determine who
    attacks when. It's also fairly simple, to make things play fast.

    A very cool system.
    "Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message
> [...]
    > protected, in my opinion. In any game where magic
    > is an option, not everyone is going to take it.
    > Those who don't - and even those who do, if possible -
    > are going to want to use any number of the tech toys
    > you make available. If anyone can use tech, it will
    > definitely get used even if it's inferior to magic
    > in some ways. I think the biggest challenge with the
    > tech will be to make sure it doesn't overshadow magic,
    > especially in combat as I said above. You should
    > also give tech its own superior niche or niches,
    > to make it a viable specialty for character who
    > like to play gadgeteers and scientists, but I
    > wouldn't worry too much about it. Tech will sell
    > itself, while magic might (stress the might) need
    > some help.
    >
    > It occurs to me that this would possibly be easier
    > if I knew what game system you're using.

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Ken Vale <k3nv4l3@r0g3r5.com> wrote in news:gYidnU9KubtYRT_fRVn-
    vw@rogers.com:

    > So does Rifts (though I'm not a fan of the system).

    Of course, how could I forget that. I don't like the system much
    either, but I like the background.

    --
    Marc
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Rick Massey wrote:
    > Anyone had any luck with crossover games, especially where you have both
    > high tech and also magic?
    >
    > I'm thinking about running such a system at some point in the future, and
    > I'd like to see what has and hasn't worked for others before I take the
    > plunge.

    I usually don't like moderns gaming but I have had an idea for a
    campaign based on the books, like John M. Ford's THE LAST HOT TIME,
    when magic and Elves come back into the world in certain locations.

    The further you get from those locations, the more mundane things are
    and the more you can rely on tech. In the outer world, spells are very
    likely to malf and probably take an enormous amount of power. Guns work
    fine, so nobody much thinks about using knives or swords or bows.

    In the borderlands, guns and other tech starts to go wonky, magic
    becomes more reliable. At some point in the borderlands, magic becomes
    more likely to work properly than tech.

    If you get into Faerie itself, magic is incredibly powerful, dead Elves
    just come back to life like it was going out of style, and a firearm
    would be extremely unlikely to work.

    Or that is the idea. No one in this book or, I think, any of the others
    gets all the way into Fairie, or spends much time in the fully mundane
    either. An Elf on a motorcycle with an AK holstered beside him and a
    katana on his back would not be totally out of place.

    Will in New Haven

    --
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    > Anyone had any luck with crossover games, especially where you have both
    > high tech and also magic?
    >
    > I'm thinking about running such a system at some point in the future, and
    > I'd like to see what has and hasn't worked for others before I take the
    > plunge.

    My best game ever was such a game ...

    The tech was cyberpunkish, and the magic was of the sort that to the
    onlooker it's results could easily be explained by natural phenomenon and/or
    coincidence - ie. the magic and the tech did very different things, and I
    think that was key to the succes, as both magic and tech had equal but
    separate value.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Behold! for Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> spake unto the multitude
    thus:

    >I think one good way to balance tech vs. magic would
    >be to look at both and make sure they each have their
    >own niche where they're definitely superior.

    This basically takes care of itself in a non-future campaign. Just
    think of what you CANNOT easily do with tech that you'd want to, and
    aim for those spells. Off the top of my head, I'd want (for
    adventuring, anyway):

    * Healing
    * Surveillance: ie, clairvoyance, mind-reading, darkvision
    * Mobility: ie, speed, flight, levitation, spider climb, jump, feather
    fall, teleportation
    * Protection
    * Animal communications & control
    * Stealth: invisibility, silence, disguise, concealment of equipment
    * Anti-tech: lockpicking, trap detection and disarming,
    anti-electronics
    * Emotion control and charms

    Of course in a future campaign you have to determine which of these
    things technology can do as well, and how (if at all) technology can
    defeat them. For example, there might be an electronic Telepathy
    Shield, chameleon cloak, grav belt or anti-magic ray gun.

    --
    Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

    D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    "Rick Massey" <seafox@gypsyheir.con> wrote in message
    > Anyone had any luck with crossover games, especially where you have both
    > high tech and also magic?
    >
    > I'm thinking about running such a system at some point in the future, and
    > I'd like to see what has and hasn't worked for others before I take the
    > plunge.

    I've been running a campaign with both high-tech and magic for 18 years.
    It's switched between a number of rules systems, and I found it worked
    better with a rules-light system (but that might be personal preference
    rather than an inherently better way to handle it, I don't know). I found it
    easier to balance magic-using and technology-using characters when I had
    greater freedom to define exactly what magic and tech could do in my
    universe.

    Also, I never worried much about the science behind the technology. As long
    as I could come up with some plausible technobabble, that was good enough
    for me. Which basically meant that the tech was really just magic in a shiny
    metal box.

    --
    David Meadows
    "Welcome to the 21st century, Harry." -- Harry, Heroes #25

Games Video Games