DVI or hd15 pin?

scottyl33

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2005
I got the Sony SDM-Hs95p monitor and I love it. I have the geforce 6800 and was wondering if the DVI is a better connection..I hooked up booth and can't tell a difference.

Scott

Chuck_Hsiao

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2005
DVI gives a cleaner picture because there's no signal loss. Whether or not it's noticeable really depends on how much graphics (and what kind of graphics) work you do, so it's a YMMV thing.

Another thing that's not often mentioned is that with DVI, you don't have to worry about clock and phase the way you do with VGA. Those settings are inherent in analog connections, because they are related to the analog to digital conversion. With a DVI, you'll pretty much always have a sharp picture.

Chuck Hsiao
Amptron

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Yes they do.
Try <A HREF="http://www.cyberguys.com" target="_new">Cyberguys</A> they have good prices and lots of items to choose from. My experiences with them have been good.
Of course a google search wouldn't hurt.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
definately go with DVI if possible and affordable. maybe a little background will help.

with a standard hd15 output, the video card must convert a digital signal, to analogue, send it through the cable.. then if using an lcd the lcd than must take that signal and convert it back to digital and then process it for display. this conversion to analogue on the video card side was needed with CRT designed monitors because CRT monitors use analogue methods to produce the picture, thus needing an analogue signal. but LCD's require a digital signal. so it's necesary to convert that signal back to Digital on the LCD again. needless to say... what a waste.. and the more conversion / use of analogue the greater chance for interference.

as for DVI. it's purely a digital link. it is actually a 2 way communication pathway in digital form. the Video card does not need to convert any signal and outputs it in it's digital form along the cable to the LCD display which takes it and uses that pure digital signal. the added bonus of DVI is it's 2 way as I said. which allows the computer / video card to receive information from the display, such as type, settings and limitations. this provides a cleaner, crisper, faster and better signal.