Windows 7 Starter Netbook Suddenly Not Booting

fac_attack

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
My Compag Mini netbook running Windows 7 Starter all of a sudden stopped working, and I have not made any major changes as of last week, which was reinstalling Avast! antivirus.

So here's all the info I can give....

Booting in Normal mode, the Windows 7 loading bar moves, then tries to go to the password screen, but then the screen just goes blanks, then the display seems to turn off completely. The lights are flashing indicating that it's "thinking"

Boots perfectly fine in Safe Mode, but I get a slew of errors from internal programs like WinSock, Windows Installer, can't turn on Windows Recovery, etc. I don't get it.

I;ve tried stuff in cmd such as trying to reinstall Windows Installer so I can at least uninstall a bunch of stuff to see if it will work, but tutorials to do so involve navigating, via cmd, to dllcache and msiexec.exe, but all such directories and files cannot be found. WTF?!

I haven't done ANYTHING! Maybe it's because it's crappy hardware? Who knows.

All I know is that I'm perfectly content with simply restoring my computer back to square one. What's the easiest way to do this, assuming I have no other options? Keep in mind that this is a netbook, so I don't have any optical drive. Can I just reformat my C drive? So many thoughts...please please help me.

What would you do?