Cannot do anything with the CD Writing Wizard

Just recently I noticed that XP's built-in CD Writing Wizard wasn't
working.

I can burn and erase CD-RWs and burn CD-Rs like there's no tomorrow
using media players (WMP, Real, iTunes) and BHA's Recorder, but XP's
own will not work, although it recognises which type of disc is in (RW
or R) and will let me create temporary files ready to burn.

I've noticed that there's no "Recording" tab in the drive properties,
and when I click on "Write these files" or "Erase disk" all I get is
the "Default Beep" sound but no action.

I've checked in the registry for odd policies, and I've tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the drive itself, but all to no avail.
I'm assuming that something I've got installed has disabled it, but
even removing BHA's Recorder made no difference.

Is there a fix to this or am I just going to have to bite the bullet
and buy something worthwhile? (BHA's is a nightmare to use, but it
*was* free!)

:(
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot writing wizard

    Update: TuneUp Registry Editor seemed to be partially responsible.
    Having restored the registry backup from one of its sweeps the
    "Recording" tab is back.

    However, all other issues are still there. :(

    madkingsoup@gmail.com wrote:

    > Just recently I noticed that XP's built-in CD Writing Wizard wasn't
    > working.
    >
    > I can burn and erase CD-RWs and burn CD-Rs like there's no tomorrow
    > using media players (WMP, Real, iTunes) and BHA's Recorder, but XP's
    > own will not work, although it recognises which type of disc is in (RW
    > or R) and will let me create temporary files ready to burn.
    >
    > I've noticed that there's no "Recording" tab in the drive properties,
    > and when I click on "Write these files" or "Erase disk" all I get is
    > the "Default Beep" sound but no action.
    >
    > I've checked in the registry for odd policies, and I've tried
    > uninstalling and reinstalling the drive itself, but all to no avail.
    > I'm assuming that something I've got installed has disabled it, but
    > even removing BHA's Recorder made no difference.
    >
    > Is there a fix to this or am I just going to have to bite the bullet
    > and buy something worthwhile? (BHA's is a nightmare to use, but it
    > *was* free!)
    >
    > :(

    Some 3rd party burning software will disable XP's burning capability.
    In start | Run | services.msc is the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service started?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    It was set to "manual" but I started it anyway. Still the same problem
    - the CD Writing Wizard just won't even start.

    MKS

    I just found something *very* interesting - for whatever strange reason
    I tried right-clicking on the CD icon and choosing "Write these files
    to CD" and it works.

    So the problem isn't with the CD writing itself, it's with the shell,
    by the look of it. It's the links in the CD Writing Tasks pane that
    don't work - how do I fix these?

    MKS

    Mad King Soup wrote:

    > I just found something *very* interesting - for whatever strange
    > reason I tried right-clicking on the CD icon and choosing "Write these
    > files to CD" and it works.
    >
    > So the problem isn't with the CD writing itself, it's with the shell,
    > by the look of it. It's the links in the CD Writing Tasks pane that
    > don't work - how do I fix these?
    >
    > MKS

    You said you are using a third-party registry cleaner. Do a search with
    Google Groups Advanced in this newsgroup for "registry cleaners". Read
    the many, many posts. Bottom line, most professionals do not recommend
    using a registry cleaner. A registry cleaner is unnecessary in XP.
    Uninstall the one you have and see if things work now.

    Additionally, the third-party software may have caused problems by
    adding entries to the right-click shell extension context menu.
    Troubleshoot with the free ShellExView program which you can get here:

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

    Disable all non-MS right-click context menu extensions and then enable
    them one at a time, testing after each change.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I found that, which was why I restored everything TuneUp had done and
    got some funcionality back.

    I tried ShellExView and there was nothing there that made any
    difference. As I said, the right-clikc context menu works perfectly
    with the Cd Writing Wizard - it's the links in the left hand Task Pane
    that do nothing at all. :-(

    MKS

    Have you found anything else out since the last posting? I am experiencing
    the same exact problem. However, I have a brand new installation of xp. My
    old hard drive died. So this should not be happening with a fresh install of
    XP. I have no registry cleaner. Any ideas?

    "Mad King Soup" wrote:

    > I found that, which was why I restored everything TuneUp had done and
    > got some funcionality back.
    >
    > I tried ShellExView and there was nothing there that made any
    > difference. As I said, the right-clikc context menu works perfectly
    > with the Cd Writing Wizard - it's the links in the left hand Task Pane
    > that do nothing at all. :-(
    >
    > MKS

Burner CD-Rom Windows XP