IPSEC Services / lsass.exe

I HATE MICROSOFT. This b******ing lsass.exe file lost me my system a week
or so ago. Or rather, it got damaged, or it was at least connected with me
not being able to boot up - even from any of XP's F8 boot options, A repair
install didnt' fix it either. ...(almost completely sure wasn't a Sasser
variant!)

So I reinstalled from a XP home ed. SP2 slipstream cd I made a few weeks
ago, rather than use a several months old Norton Ghost image of my boot
drive. But, I would rather have repaired my XP Home as it was ! I spent a
couple of hours on Dad's PC looking for fixes and found nothing but
dicussion forums with people stabbing around in the dark. !!

Does anyone know if there is a way to recover from this fault ?

(you get a black screen on boot up with a little box with "lsass.exe -
System Error" - OK click on the OK and you get "Object not found." and then
PC reboots in about a minute). There's a Sasser variant out there that
people describe having a very similar effect but, I'm still sure it wasn't
that ....unless it was those Diamond drivers I downloaded for a SupraExpress
56i VCC V92...I've got a nasty habit of disabling my a/v realtime scanner
and then forgetting to turn it back on .....moan...moan......

regards, Richard
2 answers Last reply
More about ipsec services lsass

    RJK wrote:

    > I HATE MICROSOFT. This b******ing lsass.exe file lost me my system a
    > week
    > or so ago. Or rather, it got damaged, or it was at least connected
    > with me not being able to boot up - even from any of XP's F8 boot
    > options, A repair install didnt' fix it either
    (snip)

    > So I reinstalled from a XP home ed. SP2 slipstream cd I made a few
    > weeks
    (snip)

    > (you get a black screen on boot up with a little box with "lsass.exe -
    > System Error" - OK click on the OK and you get "Object not found."
    > and then PC reboots in about a minute). There's a Sasser variant out
    >there> that people describe having a very similar effect but, I'm
    >still sure> it wasn't that
    (snip)

    > ....unless it was those Diamond drivers I downloaded
    > for a SupraExpress 56i VCC V92

    Why would Diamond drivers cause an lsass.exe error? You apparently were
    able to get into Windows long enough to download and install drivers.
    When did the lsass.exe error start? What changed?

    > ...I've got a nasty habit of disabling
    > my a/v realtime scanner and then forgetting to turn it back on
    > .....moan...moan......

    What antivirus do you use? Since you have SP2, are you using the Windows
    Firewall or a third-party product? Did you turn off the firewall along
    with the antivirus when you disabled the av? And why would you do this?

    Are you just venting or did you have a question?

    1. If you have a question, please go here first for help in making a
    good newsgroup post:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    2. There is no way for us to give you an accurate diagnosis of your
    computer with the information you have provided. It is unlikely that
    your issue was caused by Sasser since you have SP2; however, you say
    you connected to the Internet without an antivirus in place. This has
    nothing to do with Microsoft - this is clearly user error.

    If you dislike Microsoft, there are always alternatives. However other
    operating systems require learning how to use them, too. If you want
    help with your Windows XP problems, please post back with full, concise
    details as described in the "goodpost" and "smart-questions" links
    above.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I was, (to a degree), "venting." But the essence of my previous post was a
    sensible question i.e.
    Is there a method or procedure to recover from the PC failing to boot, in
    the manner described in my previous post ?
    ....which was :-. Prod the power up button and after post bios screens one
    gets a black screen with a small dialogue box in the middle of it, and in
    its' title bar the message, "lsass.exe - System Error," after clicking on
    its' OK button you get the next little box saying "Object not found," and
    after clicking that dialogue box's OK button PC reboots. Tapping F8 shortly
    after powering up will get you to XP's boot options screen but, still the
    same thing happens on every F8 option. e.g. select "Command prompt only"
    and you don't get to the command prompt - you get the above mentioned little
    "lsass.exe-System Error" dialogue box. Booting from the XP Home ed. cd and
    running the "repair install" leaves the machine with exactly the same
    problem.

    Prior to this Sasser variant effect, (which I'm still sure was NOT a Sasser
    virus), I had downloaded, (and a/v scanned with up to date Norton a/v), a
    telephone call recording program called "Callcorder," and installed it. I
    then went on to investigate the TAPI compatibility of two pci modems, and
    before uninstalling the Intel 537EP Intel modem currently in my PC, I
    downloaded up to date drivers from Diamond for a "Diamond Supraexpress 56i
    VCC V92 modem that's been on the shelf for more than a year.
    I then uninstalled the Intel 537EP half duplex modem, switched off, removed
    it from it's pci slot, plugged in the Diamond, booted up and installed the
    Diamond drivers, fiddled with CallCorder for a while, then realised that the
    Diamond only had one plug hole in for a telephone line.
    So I uninstalled the drivers, (...again Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
    ....or possible Hardware manager, can't remember now), switched off, swapped
    the Diamond modem for the Intel modem, and rebooted, and got the lsass.exe
    boot problem.

    Now, I was sure that in my original post I asked, in as many words, if
    anyone knew of a way to recover from this fault. e.g. is it possible to use
    a XP boot cd to get to a command prompt and replace that file lsass.exe, if
    that would have done any good, or make other changes from the command line,
    that could overcome being unable to boot up ???

    The whole thing is academic now, becuase I quickly chose to install XP
    afresh but, if it had been a clients PC the reinstall would most likely NOT
    have been an option.

    In case it's relevant, several weeks prior to this problem I'd noticed that
    my adsl connection would change in that a radio button would move from
    "anyone that uses this computer" to "me only," and I would have to re-enter
    my Connection password. the frequency of having to do this was increasing.
    This was happening without me going anywhere near that Connections
    properties / settings.
    So perhaps something was collapsing, that was related to my broadband
    connection ?

    ....anyway, there you are, it's not important but, if that was a machine
    where slapping in a fresh XP platform was not an option, what would you have
    done ? :-)

    regards, Richard

Lsass.Exe Windows XP