What is Burn-in? I saw on Newegg. Anyone know?

irishsk8rpatrick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
"Screen Savers are a must now, the new LCD's that are being made in the last couple of years get burnin pretty easy now. I would set my time on my Screen Saver to 10mins. If you have burnin now. Go to your Screen Saver settings and chose Marquee. Remove the text and make the background screen White. Run this for a couple of days or so, and there is a good chance the burnin will go away. Then make sure you have a screen saver running shortly after inactive. To prevent the burnin from happening again."

I saw this on Newegg, and I was wondering what "burn-in" was, like I have a 17-inch Flat screen CRT monitor, Compaq, and I want a LCD for Christmas, a cheap on like.....150 range....but I'm not sure what "Burn-in" is, and how to prevent it.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
i am just reading the manual from my new monitor
and when i got to warranty i read.
What the warranty does not cover:
3. Any product exhibiting a condition commonly known as "image burn-in" which results when a static image is
displayed on the product for an extended period of time.
i had not idea what this one is.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
"... the new LCD's that are being made in the last couple of years get burnin pretty easy...."

I don't believe this is generally true, though it is for *some* models. If it were generally a problem, buyers would be bitching about it constantly and makers would do something about it. (I have a newer LCD which has had the same display for about 8 hours per day since June... no burn-in.)

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I don't believe this is generally true, though it is for *some* models. If it were generally a problem, buyers would be bitching about it constantly and makers would do something about it. (I have a newer LCD which has had the same display for about 8 hours per day since June... no burn-in.)
Can you post that again next year this time?

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Can you post that again next year this time?

Sure. You remind me.

irishsk8rpatrick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
lol sorry for taking long to repost. thank for the information guys. i was kinda scared..becuase my crt does that..and i dont wanna use my nec buecase it isnt flat..but better picture..kinda ironic..