nOOb q: what's 1:1 mapping issue?

gluchy

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Hello,

I would like to purchase widescreen monitor: either samsung 215tw or benq FP241W. Both seem to have a lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. What is it? Does it mean that when I want to run it at 1024x768 it will stretch it to fill the screen? (and thus look like s...) vs. having a black bars to fill it to proper resolution?
I will be using it only for computer work (same games, browsing, etc) and will not use composite inputs. Does it still apply to me?

And finally, I heard the NVIDIA cards can force the settings via software, is it true?

Thanks,

gluchy.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Hello,

I would like to purchase widescreen monitor: either samsung 215tw or benq FP241W. Both seem to have a lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. What is it? Does it mean that when I want to run it at 1024x768 it will stretch it to fill the screen? (and thus look like s...) vs. having a black bars to fill it to proper resolution?
I will be using it only for computer work (same games, browsing, etc) and will not use composite inputs. Does it still apply to me?

And finally, I heard the NVIDIA cards can force the settings via software, is it true?

Thanks,

gluchy.

You're basically correct about 1:1 pixel mapping. Most Nvidia cards can control that (presuming the monitor responds to the video card setting the way you want it too... not 100% on that).

However, The BenQ has announced a firmware update for that monitor. Current users will have to send their monitor in somewhere, so suggest you wait a couple of months to be sure the one you buy already has it installed. BenQ said the fix was coming in December.