cp

This is probably not the correct forum to ask this question...but thought I
would try anyway. I have a home network set up (I am a bit new to
networking) and everything is working but I have a question. I have certain
folders shared with the "downstairs" computer and certain folders shared
with the "upstairs" computer. The downstairs computer is running WinXP HE
with 1 G of DDR RAM and the upstairs computer is running WinME with 512 M of
SDRAM memory. The issues is this: I can see and have access to the
upstairs computer from the downstairs computer and I can see but NOT have
access to the downstairs computer from the upstairs computer...it says that
there is not enough memory. Is this truly the case or are there just
limitation with WinME that do not exist with WinXP HE??? Before I go out
and buy more SDRAM memory or I upgrade WinME to WinXP HE...I would like know
for sure, if possible, which it is...Thanks for any advice you can
provide....CP

RAM is not the issue.
Turn the firewall off on the XP HE or set it to accept the ME puter.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"CP" <peckcharless@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
[...]

I tried turning off the firewall on the XP HE computer but it did not
help...the "upstairs" computer is wireless (wireless PCI adapter to a
wireless router downstairs). Does that make a difference?
CP

"River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> RAM is not the issue.
> Turn the firewall off on the XP HE or set it to accept the ME puter.
>
> --
> Good Day
> River Rat
>

> "CP" <peckcharless@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> This is probably not the correct forum to ask this question...but thought
> would try anyway. I have a home network set up (I am a bit new to
> networking) and everything is working but I have a question. I have
certain
> folders shared with the "downstairs" computer and certain folders shared
> with the "upstairs" computer. The downstairs computer is running WinXP HE
> with 1 G of DDR RAM and the upstairs computer is running WinME with 512 M
of
> SDRAM memory. The issues is this: I can see and have access to the
> upstairs computer from the downstairs computer and I can see but NOT have
> access to the downstairs computer from the upstairs computer...it says
that
> there is not enough memory. Is this truly the case or are there just
> limitation with WinME that do not exist with WinXP HE??? Before I go out
> and buy more SDRAM memory or I upgrade WinME to WinXP HE...I would like
know
> for sure, if possible, which it is...Thanks for any advice you can
> provide....CP

Go into your Control Panel and double-click on the Network icon. Make sure
you have the following items installed:
a.. Client for Microsoft Networks
b.. Your Network adapter
c.. TCP/IP
d.. IPX/SPX or Netbeui
e.. File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Install IPX/SPX or Netbeui Protocol, I can't remember if it is IPX/SPX or
Netbeui in Windows ME.
Go to the XP computer and install NWLink IPX/SPX on it also.
Turn your firewalls back on and you should be able to connect.
--
Good Day
River Rat

"CP" <peckcharless@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
I tried turning off the firewall on the XP HE computer but it did not
help...the "upstairs" computer is wireless (wireless PCI adapter to a
wireless router downstairs). Does that make a difference?
CP

"River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> RAM is not the issue.
> Turn the firewall off on the XP HE or set it to accept the ME puter.
>
> --
> Good Day
> River Rat
>

> "CP" <peckcharless@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> This is probably not the correct forum to ask this question...but thought
> would try anyway. I have a home network set up (I am a bit new to
> networking) and everything is working but I have a question. I have
certain
> folders shared with the "downstairs" computer and certain folders shared
> with the "upstairs" computer. The downstairs computer is running WinXP HE
> with 1 G of DDR RAM and the upstairs computer is running WinME with 512 M
of
> SDRAM memory. The issues is this: I can see and have access to the
> upstairs computer from the downstairs computer and I can see but NOT have
> access to the downstairs computer from the upstairs computer...it says
that
> there is not enough memory. Is this truly the case or are there just
> limitation with WinME that do not exist with WinXP HE??? Before I go out
> and buy more SDRAM memory or I upgrade WinME to WinXP HE...I would like
know
> for sure, if possible, which it is...Thanks for any advice you can
> provide....CP

cp

OK...like a say, I am a bit new to this...what I have on the XP computer is:

Client for MS Networks
Eacfit Driver
File and Packet Sharing for MS Networks
QoS Packet
Internet Protocal

When I click on install...I get the following choices:
Client
Services
Protocol

What I have on the ME computer is:

Client for MS Networks
LPR for TCP/IP printing
802.11g Wirless PCI card
Dial-up adpater
TCP/IP - 802.11g PCI Card
TCP/IP - Dial Up Adapter
File and Print Sharing for MS Networks

When I click on install...I get the following choices:
Client
Services
Protocol

I do not see your choices (IPX/SPX or Netbeui etc...) listed...so I am not
sure where to go???

> Go into your Control Panel and double-click on the Network icon. Make
> sure
> you have the following items installed:
> a.. Client for Microsoft Networks
> b.. Your Network adapter
> c.. TCP/IP
> d.. IPX/SPX or Netbeui
> e.. File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
>
> Install IPX/SPX or Netbeui Protocol, I can't remember if it is IPX/SPX or
> Netbeui in Windows ME.
> Go to the XP computer and install NWLink IPX/SPX on it also.
> Turn your firewalls back on and you should be able to connect.
> --
> Good Day
> River Rat
>

> "CP" <peckcharless@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I tried turning off the firewall on the XP HE computer but it did not
> help...the "upstairs" computer is wireless (wireless PCI adapter to a
> wireless router downstairs). Does that make a difference?
> CP
>
> "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
>> RAM is not the issue.
>> Turn the firewall off on the XP HE or set it to accept the ME puter.
>>
>> --
>> Good Day
>> River Rat
>>

>> "CP" <peckcharless@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> This is probably not the correct forum to ask this question...but thought
>> would try anyway. I have a home network set up (I am a bit new to
>> networking) and everything is working but I have a question. I have
> certain
>> folders shared with the "downstairs" computer and certain folders shared
>> with the "upstairs" computer. The downstairs computer is running WinXP
>> HE
>> with 1 G of DDR RAM and the upstairs computer is running WinME with 512 M
> of
>> SDRAM memory. The issues is this: I can see and have access to the
>> upstairs computer from the downstairs computer and I can see but NOT have
>> access to the downstairs computer from the upstairs computer...it says
> that
>> there is not enough memory. Is this truly the case or are there just
>> limitation with WinME that do not exist with WinXP HE??? Before I go out
>> and buy more SDRAM memory or I upgrade WinME to WinXP HE...I would like
> know
>> for sure, if possible, which it is...Thanks for any advice you can
>> provide....CP

OK CP
Everything looks good.
Click on Protocol then Microsoft that is where you will find them. TCP/IP &
IPX/SPX are Protocols.

Windows XP install:
TCP/IP Protocol
NWLink IPX/SPX NetBios Protocol

Windows ME install:
IPX/SPX or Netbeui Protocol
Like I said before I don't remember what ME has but you do not need both and
there may only be one list to choose from.

--

> [...]

>> folders shared with the "downstairs" computer and certain folders shared
>> with the "upstairs" computer. The downstairs computer is running WinXP
>> HE
>> with 1 G of DDR RAM and the upstairs computer is running WinME with 512 M
> of
>> SDRAM memory. The issues is this: I can see and have access to the
>> upstairs computer from the downstairs computer and I can see but NOT have
>> access to the downstairs computer from the upstairs computer...it says
> that
>> there is not enough memory. Is this truly the case or are there just
>> limitation with WinME that do not exist with WinXP HE??? Before I go out
>> and buy more SDRAM memory or I upgrade WinME to WinXP HE...I would like
> know
>> for sure, if possible, which it is...Thanks for any advice you can

go ask your question again in the networking group
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

you dont want or need ipx or netbeui
maybe netbeui as a last resort for a printer

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp

--
Good Day