Sign in with
Your question

Buget Laptop & WoW

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 20, 2009 2:33:08 PM

I've been trying to pick through the various websites trying to figure out what would be a Good Buy for a replacement computer for my wife.

We're looking at replacing her 4+ yr old desktop machine with a Laptop. It may be that we will buy an addition keyboard/Monitor etc to use with the laptop, but for now we're looking for something in the Sub-1,000$ range.

Per the FAQ:

1_What is your budget?
Sub-1,000$, preferably less than 750$

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" to 17"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Something good enough to play WoW on and not have it be a slideshow.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Primarily it will be a desktop replacement, but we may spring for a larger monitor & Keyboard down the road to make it easier to use a 15" laptop

5_How much battery life do you need?
n/a will normally be plugged in.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
World of Warcraft, (5-mans, no 10/25 man raids, just don't want it to be a slide-show in Dalaran. 10+fps in Dalaran is fine. Would like 30+fps while soloing)
Ikarium,
flash-based games

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Email,
IM,
simple photo editing (Cut/paste, trimming/resizing red-eye removal)
websurfing
A little music/video watching

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Enough for WoW, and Several Gigs of stored family photos, and several gigs of emails

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
New Egg
Best Buy

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 yrs min

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
I'd LOVE to be able to find a laptop I can go look at, pound on in the store (like Best Buy) and find it cheaper online to buy. I feel much better buying something that I can actually get my hands on first.

Also, I am totally lost on the wireless/WiFi internet access. I have no clue what is Needed to connect when on the road w/ a laptop. I'd like to not be buying "old" tech/standards on wifi if there is a "new" version coming out w/ faster downloads/connections speeds.

At home, it will be plugged in for internet access
On the road, I'd like to be able to find one that we can play WoW on while on vacation over a Hotels' Wifi connection.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Dell, I keep hearing horror stories about customer service and upgrade issues. Though in the case of a laptop I understand I'm pretty much stuck with what ever I buy.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

More about : buget laptop wow

a c 244 D Laptop
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 21, 2009 7:51:09 AM

Yeah that would be a good choice ^^
February 27, 2009 12:16:43 AM

check out HP pavilion DV6t and just make the upgrades u want. deffinetly upgrade the graphics card. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can...

The best thing to do is get something with as little memory and hard drive so but with a performance graphics card and just upgrade everything else later....it saves money
!