Old Skill-based RPG

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 17, 2005 11:57:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

This question is probably simply a wild goose chase for nostalgia, but
a few years ago, I ran across a heavily in-depth skill-based RPG
system book in a little gaming shop near where I live. I didn't buy
it at the time, and life went on. Obviously, now, I'd like to try to
find what system it was.

I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it. Those
things I'm 99% sure about. Beyond that I think that the title was
quite straightforward (such as Quest, which is what I thought the game
system was until I learned that Quest had never been printed). It may
have had the word fantasy in the title. As far as I ever saw, there
was only one game book, but it may just have been that the store
didn't carry any others.

This is a real brain-test for those of you out there with encyclopedic
memories: what, if anything, can you tell me? Any possibilities or
places to look. I've already scoured the obvious places like pen and
paper.net to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : skill based rpg

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:31:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

That's a lot of skills. It sounds like you might have stumbled across one of
the later Rolemaster products from Iron Crown Enterprises. That system is
skill based, but under professions which determine how easily you can learn
skills. The last incarnation of it before the bankruptcy, fold, and
phoenix-like rebirth of the company, was Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying. Was
the book hard bound or soft bound? If this is what you're looking for, Iron
Crown Enterprises has a web site.

That's about the only skill heavy published game I can think of off the top
of my head. Artistry is also very skill based, but it's currently web only.
"Dave" <lordonion@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This question is probably simply a wild goose chase for nostalgia, but
> a few years ago, I ran across a heavily in-depth skill-based RPG
> system book in a little gaming shop near where I live. I didn't buy
> it at the time, and life went on. Obviously, now, I'd like to try to
> find what system it was.
>
> I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
> probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
> book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
> depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it. Those
> things I'm 99% sure about. Beyond that I think that the title was
> quite straightforward (such as Quest, which is what I thought the game
> system was until I learned that Quest had never been printed). It may
> have had the word fantasy in the title. As far as I ever saw, there
> was only one game book, but it may just have been that the store
> didn't carry any others.
>
> This is a real brain-test for those of you out there with encyclopedic
> memories: what, if anything, can you tell me? Any possibilities or
> places to look. I've already scoured the obvious places like pen and
> paper.net to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:15:35 AM

Dave wrote:
> This question is probably simply a wild goose chase for nostalgia, but
> a few years ago, I ran across a heavily in-depth skill-based RPG
> system book in a little gaming shop near where I live. I didn't buy
> it at the time, and life went on. Obviously, now, I'd like to try to
> find what system it was.
>
> I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
> probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
> book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
> depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it. Those
> things I'm 99% sure about. Beyond that I think that the title was
> quite straightforward (such as Quest, which is what I thought the game
> system was until I learned that Quest had never been printed). It may
> have had the word fantasy in the title. As far as I ever saw, there
> was only one game book, but it may just have been that the store
> didn't carry any others.
>
> This is a real brain-test for those of you out there with encyclopedic
> memories: what, if anything, can you tell me? Any possibilities or
> places to look. I've already scoured the obvious places like pen and
> paper.net to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might have some luck looking through "An Encyclopedia of Role-Playing Games"
<http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/encyclopedia/&gt;

--
Andy Luddy
Remove appendix to reply

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

DragonQuest maybe?

In message <ced7d1cb.0507171857.34219f88@posting.google.com>, Dave
<lordonion@hotmail.com> writes
>I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
>probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
>book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
>depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it. Those
>things I'm 99% sure about. Beyond that I think that the title was
>quite straightforward (such as Quest, which is what I thought the game
>system was until I learned that Quest had never been printed). It may
>have had the word fantasy in the title. As far as I ever saw, there
>was only one game book, but it may just have been that the store
>didn't carry any others.
>
>This is a real brain-test for those of you out there with encyclopedic
>memories: what, if anything, can you tell me? Any possibilities or
>places to look. I've already scoured the obvious places like pen and
>paper.net to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Michael Cule
Anonymous

Dave wrote:
> This question is probably simply a wild goose chase for nostalgia, but
> a few years ago, I ran across a heavily in-depth skill-based RPG
> system book in a little gaming shop near where I live. I didn't buy
> it at the time, and life went on. Obviously, now, I'd like to try to
> find what system it was.

DragonQuest was probably never thatlong. RuneQuest?

Brandon
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:16:10 PM

Rick Massey wrote:
> <copeab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Dave wrote:
> >> This question is probably simply a wild goose chase for nostalgia, but
> >> a few years ago, I ran across a heavily in-depth skill-based RPG
> >> system book in a little gaming shop near where I live. I didn't buy
> >> it at the time, and life went on. Obviously, now, I'd like to try to
> >> find what system it was.
> >
> > DragonQuest was probably never thatlong. RuneQuest?
> >
> Chaosium never printed anything that long. It's definitely not RuneQuest.

I can't think of anything old with 'Quest' in the title.

400 pages is a lot -- Aria: Worlds is only about 300 pages and you
could beat a moose to death with it.

Brandon
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:44:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Chaosium never printed anything that long. It's definitely not RuneQuest.
<copeab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
>> This question is probably simply a wild goose chase for nostalgia, but
>> a few years ago, I ran across a heavily in-depth skill-based RPG
>> system book in a little gaming shop near where I live. I didn't buy
>> it at the time, and life went on. Obviously, now, I'd like to try to
>> find what system it was.
>
> DragonQuest was probably never thatlong. RuneQuest?
>
> Brandon

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:33:10 PM

Auggie wrote:
> "Dave" <lordonion@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > This question is probably simply a wild goose chase for nostalgia, but
> > a few years ago, I ran across a heavily in-depth skill-based RPG
> > system book in a little gaming shop near where I live. I didn't buy
> > it at the time, and life went on. Obviously, now, I'd like to try to
> > find what system it was.
> >
> > I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
> > probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
> > book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
> > depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it. Those
> > things I'm 99% sure about. Beyond that I think that the title was
> > quite straightforward (such as Quest, which is what I thought the game
> > system was until I learned that Quest had never been printed). It may
> > have had the word fantasy in the title. As far as I ever saw, there
> > was only one game book, but it may just have been that the store
> > didn't carry any others.
>
> There weren't that many games systems with the one big really thick
> rulebook. Off the top of my head I can think of:
> Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
> Ars Magica

I don't have either of these, but I have seen them, and they are pretty
hefty.

> Rolemaster Standard System

No, no. He said lots of pages of skills. Not 200 pages of critical hit
charts ... ;)

Brandon
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:41:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Once again, I appreciate all the help I've received. The book itself
was full color, with (I'm pretty sure) a landscape picture on the
front. I'd say that green hues were the prevalent color. I'm also
pretty sure an adventuring party was on the front, and probably a tree.
It was decent stock paper, not thin, and not glossy. The only thing
that really made it stand out was the sheer number of skills.

I'm looking into many of the suggestions you've all made now that I
hadn't looked at before. I started my search on a vacation (where I'd
previously seen the book), but now have scoured three stores, including
a very wide-ranging store where I live and have turned up nothing.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:09:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

World Action and Adventure, maybe?

--
Steffan O'Sullivan sos@panix.com Plymouth, NH, USA
---------------------- http://www.panix.com/~sos ---------------------

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

"Dave" <lordonion@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This question is probably simply a wild goose chase for nostalgia, but
> a few years ago, I ran across a heavily in-depth skill-based RPG
> system book in a little gaming shop near where I live. I didn't buy
> it at the time, and life went on. Obviously, now, I'd like to try to
> find what system it was.
>
> I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
> probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
> book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
> depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it. Those
> things I'm 99% sure about. Beyond that I think that the title was
> quite straightforward (such as Quest, which is what I thought the game
> system was until I learned that Quest had never been printed). It may
> have had the word fantasy in the title. As far as I ever saw, there
> was only one game book, but it may just have been that the store
> didn't carry any others.

There weren't that many games systems with the one big really thick
rulebook. Off the top of my head I can think of:
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Rolemaster Standard System
World of Synnibar
Ars Magica
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:20:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

In article <IncDe.164915$on1.146626@clgrps13>,
"Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote:

> There weren't that many games systems with the one big really thick
> rulebook. Off the top of my head I can think of:
> Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
> Rolemaster Standard System
> World of Synnibar

My guess was World of Synnibar. Met the designer and he touted it as the
most self contained game ever created. Buy one copy and you would never
have to buy a thing from him again... Didn't that company go out of
business? :-)

--
The Kedamono Dragon
Pull Pinky's favorite words to email me.

Check out the PowerPointers Shop at:
http://www.cafeshops.com/PowerPointers

July 20, 2005 12:05:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Dave <lordonion@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This is a real brain-test for those of you out there with encyclopedic
>memories: what, if anything, can you tell me? Any possibilities or
>places to look. I've already scoured the obvious places like pen and
>paper.net to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you remember any other details at all? Names of skills, or spells,
or attributes, or anything else that might be unique to a specific
game? Maybe what kind of races you could play? Was the book all
black and white, all color, or a mix? What quality paper was it
printed on? Any detail at all, no matter how small, might help
us narrow it down some.

Pete
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:22:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

John Reiher <kedamono.Poit@Narf.mac.com> wrote in

> My guess was World of Synnibar. Met the designer and he touted it
> as the most self contained game ever created. Buy one copy and you
> would never have to buy a thing from him again... Didn't that
> company go out of business? :-)

No, it was, "Buy one copy and you'd never WANT to buy a thing
from him again."

--
Marc
"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

In article <Xns9698E39DBC0CCmastercougarhotmailc@207.35.177.134>,
"Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, it was, "Buy one copy and you'd never WANT to buy a thing
> from him again."

There is a wonderful review of this 476 page wonder at RPG.net:

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_4762.html

The review summary is:

"I tried to review it. I really did. But you can only hold your face to
the blowtorch for so long. It's like Azathoth designed a role-playing
game."

--
The Kedamono Dragon
Pull Pinky's favorite words to email me.
http://www.ahtg.net
Have Mac, will Compute

Check out the PowerPointers Shop at:
http://www.cafeshops.com/PowerPointers

July 20, 2005 3:30:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Was it EverQuest. IIRC it had skill based rules.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:55:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

John Reiher <kedamono.Poit@Narf.mac.com> wrote in news:kedamono.Poit-
AEAC7F.18193119072005@text-west.newsfeeds.com:

> My guess was World of Synnibar. Met the designer and he touted it as the
> most self contained game ever created. Buy one copy and you would never
> have to buy a thing from him again... Didn't that company go out of
> business? :-)
>
>> Ars Magica

Unfortunately, he's *still* selling the thing at $40 a copy on his eBay
store.

(I bought it from someone else for five bucks, just so I could laugh while
reading it...)

--
Shadow Wolf
shadowolf3400 at yahoo dot com

July 20, 2005 6:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

lordonion@hotmail.com wrote:
> Once again, I appreciate all the help I've received. The book itself
> was full color, with (I'm pretty sure) a landscape picture on the
> front. I'd say that green hues were the prevalent color. I'm also
> pretty sure an adventuring party was on the front, and probably a tree.
> It was decent stock paper, not thin, and not glossy. The only thing
> that really made it stand out was the sheer number of skills.
>
> I'm looking into many of the suggestions you've all made now that I
> hadn't looked at before. I started my search on a vacation (where I'd
> previously seen the book), but now have scoured three stores, including
> a very wide-ranging store where I live and have turned up nothing.

Was it hardcover?

Brandon
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:32:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Yes, it was hardcover.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

lordonion@hotmail.com wrote:
> Once again, I appreciate all the help I've received. The book itself
> was full color, with (I'm pretty sure) a landscape picture on the
> front. I'd say that green hues were the prevalent color. I'm also
> pretty sure an adventuring party was on the front, and probably a tree.
> It was decent stock paper, not thin, and not glossy. The only thing
> that really made it stand out was the sheer number of skills.

Prevalent colour green could mean Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but that
has only some full-colour pages in it, and 100 pages on careers but
only a handful on skills.

I can't remember a green or old full-colour version of GURPS, but that
really has a lot of skills. Earthdawn has lots and lots of talents
which are almost the same thing, and 2nd edition has a landscape with
adventurers on the cover, but I believe it's mostly purple. And first
edition is mostly black.

So I guess I don't know.

mcv.
July 24, 2005 4:28:22 AM

On 21 Jul 2005 14:32:13 -0700, lordonion@hotmail.com wrote:

>Yes, it was hardcover.

1st edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay was 370 sides thick; was
a hardback and had a green cover. But..., the skill section was
not that long at all. The skill section is "only" 14 sides
long.
July 24, 2005 8:09:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Chivalry and Sorcery 3rd edition? it had a green cover with a ounted knight
on the front. I seem to recall that it also had a lot of skills.

Sean

> Once again, I appreciate all the help I've received. The book itself
> was full color, with (I'm pretty sure) a landscape picture on the
> front. I'd say that green hues were the prevalent color. I'm also
> pretty sure an adventuring party was on the front, and probably a tree.
> It was decent stock paper, not thin, and not glossy. The only thing
> that really made it stand out was the sheer number of skills.
>
> I'm looking into many of the suggestions you've all made now that I
> hadn't looked at before. I started my search on a vacation (where I'd
> previously seen the book), but now have scoured three stores, including
> a very wide-ranging store where I live and have turned up nothing.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:10:52 PM

Oberon <oberon@solstice.com> wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2005 14:32:13 -0700, lordonion@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Yes, it was hardcover.
>
> 1st edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay was 370 sides thick; was
> a hardback and had a green cover. But..., the skill section was
> not that long at all. The skill section is "only" 14 sides
> long.

That's still more pages than I remember.

mcv.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:51:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:09:28 -0600, "Sean" <slugman@charter.net>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Chivalry and Sorcery 3rd edition? it had a green cover with a ounted knight
> on the front. I seem to recall that it also had a lot of skills.

That's my guess, too.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Auggie wrote:

> "Dave" <lordonion@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
>> probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
>> book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
>> depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it.

> There weren't that many games systems with the one big really thick
> rulebook. Off the top of my head I can think of:
> Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
> Rolemaster Standard System
> World of Synnibar
> Ars Magica

Eliminate Ars Magica from your list -- only the 3rd edition (now
at 5th ed) had anything remarkably-thick for a core rulebook, and
the cover was NOTHING like what you describe: it has a pic of a
lightning-summonining wizard standing over the chainmal-clad body
of a fallen knight (whose wounds are still flaming) under a cloudy
sky; from the viewer's POV, two clawed, knobby hands are reaching
toward them; the light is "behind" us as we look, and the shadow
of the reaching figure reveals a set of horns.

The skills-section is only 9 pages long.

It is a softcover -- AFAIK, only 4e & 5e come in hardcover.

--

Steve Saunders
to de-spam me, de-capitalize me

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

I thank all of you for your help. I have literally explored every
suggestion here and probably 100 other systems, but unfortunately found
nothing. I am back in SC, where I originally saw the book, and will go
back to the store (though last time the guy didn't know which book I
was referring to) and scour some more. If I locate it, I will be sure
to post its title here. Thanks again!
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:04:48 PM

sNOmSPAMs@sonic.net writes:

> Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Auggie wrote:
>
> > "Dave" <lordonion@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
> >> probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
> >> book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
> >> depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it.
>
> > There weren't that many games systems with the one big really thick
> > rulebook. Off the top of my head I can think of:
> > Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
> > Rolemaster Standard System
> > World of Synnibar
> > Ars Magica
>
> Eliminate Ars Magica from your list

You can also eliminate World of Synnibar. The cover has a couple of
odd-looking characters riding an odd flying vehicle on a red
background. The second edition (which I was unaware of even existed
until I did a web search) had the same vehicle-riding couple but a
dragon was added (http://www.wonderworldbooks.com/synibar.html). It
seems a 3rd edition is also out. I have only seen the 1st edition,
and it is truly terrible.

It could well have been Rolemaster, some of the several different
covers (http://www.lasgalen.plus.com/html/rm.html,
http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=306...) sounds
like your description.

Warhammer Fantasy
(http://www.rpg-resource.org.uk/index.php?article=1391&v...) is
also possible.

Torben
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:01:57 PM

torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Ægidius Mogensen) writes:

> sNOmSPAMs@sonic.net writes:
>
> > Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Auggie wrote:
> >
> > > "Dave" <lordonion@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Off the top of my head I can think of:
> > > Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
> > > Rolemaster Standard System
> > > World of Synnibar
> > > Ars Magica
> >
> > Eliminate Ars Magica from your list
>
> You can also eliminate World of Synnibar. The cover has a couple of
> odd-looking characters riding an odd flying vehicle on a red
> background. The second edition (which I was unaware of even existed
> until I did a web search) had the same vehicle-riding couple but a
> dragon was added (http://www.wonderworldbooks.com/synibar.html).

The dragon was actually also on the first edition cover, I now recall,
the scene was just in a completely different style of art.

Torben
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:00:36 PM

Peter Meilinger wrote:
> Dave <lordonion@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>This is a real brain-test for those of you out there with encyclopedic
>>memories: what, if anything, can you tell me? Any possibilities or
>>places to look. I've already scoured the obvious places like pen and
>>paper.net to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Do you remember any other details at all? Names of skills, or spells,

How were the skills organized. Alphabetically, or by category, or by
controlling attribute?

How many attributes did the system have (even a rough number can help
rule out systems with few or systems with many attributes)? Were any of
the attributes unusual?

> or attributes, or anything else that might be unique to a specific
> game? Maybe what kind of races you could play? Was the book all
> black and white, all color, or a mix? What quality paper was it
> printed on? Any detail at all, no matter how small, might help
> us narrow it down some.

Was the book heavy or light for its page count? Hero System 5th Edition
(un-revised - I decided to purchase the PDF of the revised edition,
being utterly daunted by the page count) is surprisingly light for its
400 pages. On the other end of the spectrum, Big Eyes Small Mouth 2nd
Edition (un-revised) is surprisingly heavy, given its small format (it
is something like 250 pages, but a much smaller "footprint").

There's a bunch of weird people in here, and any silly little fact might
trigger a memory.

This *ought* to be solved.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Dave wrote:

> I don't have much to go on, but here's what I know. The game book had
> probably a hundred or more pages devoted solely to skills. The game
> book was probably between 3 and 4 hundred pages long. The cover
> depicted a landscape with a few PC type characters on it. Those
> things I'm 99% sure about. Beyond that I think that the title was
> quite straightforward (such as Quest, which is what I thought the game
> system was until I learned that Quest had never been printed). It may
> have had the word fantasy in the title. As far as I ever saw, there
> was only one game book, but it may just have been that the store
> didn't carry any others.

I'm looking at my autographed copy of Gary Gygax's "Dangerous
Journeys" and it fits the bill. Also on the front and back cover
"Mythus Fantasy Roleplaying Game". Weighs in at a whopping 416
pages with a heavy emphasis on skills and vocations.

Cover art is a mounted fighter and a mounted amazon lancer, a pack
horse in tow, riding away from a castle in the foothills of a
mountain. A wizard casting a spell is overlooking the trademark
Elmore scenery.

Originally Published in 1992 by GDW, copyright retained by Omega
Helios Ltd. ISBN 1-55878-131-5

This book is out of print, and out of circulation. You have to be
very lucky to find a copy for sale, as TSR withdrew it from
circulation after an out-of-court settlement with E.G. Gygax.

To Quote:
" A three-volume fantasy-genre RPG ("Mythus", "Mythus Magick",
"Epic of AErth"). It uses a skill-based system. Character creation
has random-roll attributes, and skills determined either by
picking a "vocation", or by creating your own vocation. There are
18 attributes: 3 categories (Physical/ Mental/ Spiritual), each
with 2 subcategories (Muscular+Neural/ Mnemonic+Reasoning/
Metaphysical+Psychic). Each subcategory has attributes for
capacity, power, and speed: each determined by 2d6+8. There were
three additional books published over the next year: "Necropolis",
"Mythus Bestiary", and "Mythus Prime", plus two magazines
(Journeys and Mythic Masters Magazine). After that the game
disappeared over a legal dispute with TSR (cf. the GDW entry for
details).

After TSR, Gygax published a new RPG called Dangerous Journeys for
Game Designers Workshop. The game was originally called Dangerous
Dimensions (compare DD vs D&D). TSR quickly sued. After a court
battle, TSR eventually agreed to acquire the rights to Gygax's
game and pay legal costs.

One interesting outcome of the trial was that Gygax was allowed to
write further novels in his Greyhawk universe. However, he was not
allowed to use the names of D&D characters or monsters unless they
appeared in the original two Greyhawk books he had written. In a
neat case of what goes around comes around, Wizards of the Coast
was eventually taken over by Hasbro which also controls Avalon
Hill, the company that originally passed on D&D. These days Gygax
is back writing a new paper RPG game called Lejendary Adventures,
and supplements published by Troll Lord Games for the latest
incarnation of D&D.