Missing Entire Network Icon

I have a very remote user on an XP pro SP2 box. She accesses My Network
Places and says that the Entire Network icon is missing. I can't seem to find
anything in the KB articles. Any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about missing entire network icon

    Linn,

    Is the "Client for Microsoft Networks" enabled in local area connection
    properties?

    In article <CF6E4A84-9815-44BA-8334-E8C31270C81C@microsoft.com>, "Linn
    Allen" <LinnAllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >I have a very remote user on an XP pro SP2 box. She accesses My Network
    >Places and says that the Entire Network icon is missing. I can't seem to find
    >anything in the KB articles. Any ideas?

    Whether there's an Entire Network icon may depend on how you view My
    Network Places.

    When I click the My Network Places icon on the desktop or the Start
    menu, there's no Entire Network icon in the window that appears.

    When I run Windows Explorer, click My Network Places in the left pane,
    and then click View | Refresh, the Entire Network icon appears in the
    left pane, but not in the right one. I can drag the Entire Network
    icon from the left pane onto the desktop and then access it directly
    from the desktop.

    I don't know whether this behavior is a feature or a bug. :-)

    I recommend dragging/dropping other frequently-used icons (workgroups,
    computers, shared disks/folders) from My Network Places to the
    desktop, too. Accessing a network resource directly from a desktop
    icon is faster and more reliable than browsing through My Network
    Places.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    I got the network icon, by changing my property on the taskbar to Classic
    view, and boom, I had a Network icon. Try it and you will too.........Peter

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <CF6E4A84-9815-44BA-8334-E8C31270C81C@microsoft.com>, "Linn
    > Allen" <LinnAllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>I have a very remote user on an XP pro SP2 box. She accesses My Network
    >>Places and says that the Entire Network icon is missing. I can't seem to
    >>find
    >>anything in the KB articles. Any ideas?
    >
    > Whether there's an Entire Network icon may depend on how you view My
    > Network Places.
    >
    > When I click the My Network Places icon on the desktop or the Start
    > menu, there's no Entire Network icon in the window that appears.
    >
    > When I run Windows Explorer, click My Network Places in the left pane,
    > and then click View | Refresh, the Entire Network icon appears in the
    > left pane, but not in the right one. I can drag the Entire Network
    > icon from the left pane onto the desktop and then access it directly
    > from the desktop.
    >
    > I don't know whether this behavior is a feature or a bug. :-)
    >
    > I recommend dragging/dropping other frequently-used icons (workgroups,
    > computers, shared disks/folders) from My Network Places to the
    > desktop, too. Accessing a network resource directly from a desktop
    > icon is faster and more reliable than browsing through My Network
    > Places.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com