Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Hi people,

I'm wondering if I can get a bit of advice. I am planning to get a
high end new machine in the new year -with Vista and a 8800 GTX
graphics card. I'll spend around £2500. And my main focus is on
gaming. But it seems to me that there are no LCD monitors out there
that can do that spec justice. This site, when reviewing the 7950 GX2,
said there was nopoint in getting it if you play in less than 1600x1200.
The 8800GTX will make this situation even worse!

So my question is, unless you have a CRT monitor the size of a small
car, is there any point in purchasing the 8800GTX? Is there a gaming
LCD up to the task?

I may post this in the graphics card forum too, hope that's allowed...

Thanks people!

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Depends on the game. Some games may need the power.

Regarding LCDs, first off, there is no such thing as a gaming LCD. All LCDs are unable to achieve a sufficient response time to completely get rid of smearing like CRTs.
The 20" model LCDs run at 1600x1200. Or, you can play games using dual monitors.
Have you ever used a quality LCD? Jeez, the whole respose time thing is of the past. I switched from a CRT to an LCD about three months ago my LCD is better in every single way. Image quality, contrast, brightness, size, everything. I've never seen any ghosting, ever.

Alastair, take a look at the Samsung 204B on newegg. It's a 20.1" LCD running at 1600x1200 with a 5 ms response time. It's a very popular LCD at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001226

It's actually out of stock right now, but I'm sure they will have it in soon or if you can find it for a similar price somewhere else then go for it. It's a very good deal for the price.

FOOS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
you're insane ... LCD's do not come anywhere close to the level of the CRT's in terms of performance. Have you ever used an LCD with a top end gaming rig? If so you would know it can't keep up. The refresh thing is far from a thing of the past if you use it for online shooters. And the Samsung 204B was so bad I had to purchase a new LCD after only a couple of weeks due to the blurring being so bad. You can't even run it without enabling V-Sync which drops your FPS to 60-75. 5ms just isn't cutting it, especially if you're running Crossfire or the like.

In the end, the ViewSonic VX922 is the best as far as refresh rate and it does do a pretty good job; far better than the worthless 204B.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Hi guys, I have a Viewsonic G90F CRT and a Hyundai L90D+ LCD.

On my crt, which is 85 Hz, the frames are still blurred. When running around in diablo 2, it is very hard to read the stationary text.

So, keep in mind even on a crt there is blurring. There is definitely blurring in fps games, but it's probably better than MOST LCD's. I really want to upgrade my L90D+.

CR84

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
This is what I myself was wondering. If this new amazing graphics card has the ability to give the user amazing frame rates at super high resolutions but the monitors can only handle 1600x1200 effectively (with some debate) why spend the money? There's also the question of widescreen... is it better for gaming or only movies?

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
LCD's are fine for most game players. If you want to be a hardcore gamer, then no, buy a CRT.

The 8800 graphics card will make a difference if you are moving up from a lower end graphics card, but not if you are switching from a 7950GX2. Until. . . . Direct X 10 starts coming into play more. Then you'll be glad you bought the 8800. Will you see some blur. . . maybe, if you are focused on it rather than lost in a game.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
So, keep in mind even on a crt there is blurring.

its cool you noticed. actually crts dont blur themselves but relay it from a bad source. for instance when...

1) framerates are below the refresh rate (temporal aliasing, a type of blur)
2) framerates are well above the refresh rate (lots of tearing, a type of blur)
3) low dpi/hertz mouse updates slower than the refresh rate (temporal aliasing again)
4) its in the source material (tv's only): mpeg compression, interlacing, 3:2 pulldown ect.

these originate at the source, not the display. once eliminated, you won't see any blur on a crt. it is easily fixed on a pc game for instance. (its probably not technically correct to catagorize all of these as causing "blur", but the effect is best described that way).

jaculum

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Actually I know this isn't true from experience. I've owned a crt that ghosted, even when my game, Half-Life, was running at 60fps. I had vsync on. I really only noticed it when I was in a dark place with a bright light nearby, but I know that it was there. I've gotten another monitor since then, and I can still sense it since my eyes are very sensitive, but It's only on things like a white mouse pointer on a black background, and I have to be looking for it.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Sup Fellas;

I just recently purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 225BW, and I love it.
My system is ageing my core is a p4c 3Ghz, Abit Is7, 1GB Crucial pc3200, with a BFG 7800GS-OC, and Hitachi 7k250, just to kind of give you an idea of what its plugged into.

I play Battlefield 2142, Quake 4, Need for Speed Carbon, Star Trek Legacy, Oblivion, Might and Magic: Dark Messiah, Tiger Woods 2007, Madden 2007, and many other games. I dont have the fabled blurring, ghosting, tearing, artifacts, etc, under any circumstances, its not that im not looking for them, they simply just arent there.
Im using DVI playing at a resolution of 1680x1050, or in some cases the closest to it the game will support.
IMO this panel is well worth its $400 price tag, as I cant find a single thing wrong with it.
When I bought the panel I didnt do any research on it, I simply trusted, some might say nievely, that Samsung produces a high quality panel, and that I wouldnt be dissapointed, well quite simply put, im pretty excited about my fortune, I guess I lucked out.
If you are looking for a panel that will display your games and high resolution video perfectly this is the one right here.

*Note*
Very few monitors are perfect right out of the box, I had to tweak mine a bit to get it to display perfectly, but if you arent lazy this isnt an issue.
Also using native widescreen resolutions is a must because with 4:3 resolutions you get patterned text blurring.
I havent tried using the VGA port with this monitor it may yield a completely different result.

Pros:
22" of widescreen heaven.
Fair price point.
Very fast.
Perfect display of high resolution video.
Excellent color representation.
Very good contrast to brightness ratio.
Thin edges.
Good height adjustment.

Cons:
Must use native widescreen resolutions Ex. 1680x1050, or text display is blurry.
Small amounts of light leakage at the bottom edge of the panel (not a distracting amount).

Personal Notes:
I would have prefered some aluminum accents, perhaps the stand, the panel is entirely black.

If you like large widescreen displays, buy this panel you wont be dissapointed.

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
well any LCD smaller than 23" is going to be 1600x1200 native resolution (or lower), so if you want the full effect of the 8800, you'd have to go 24" or higher.

I'm planning on buying a samsung 244ft 24" and I've heard many good things about it, even in gaming

If you're going to be running at 1600x1200 or lower, IMHO, there's no point in getting a GTX.

BTW, the 244t is running about $830, i don't know what your budget is though.