Closed

I hear a clicking noise when I type

I just reinstalled XP due to a computer crash and now I hear a beep with
every keystroke. It's driving me nuts! Anyone know why this is doing this
and how to turn it off? I've checked the sound profiles and I can't find it.
9 answers Last reply
More about hear clicking noise type

    have you tried reinstalling windows xp again? Also, when you reinstalled xp
    did you clean your hd of the previous xp installation so that nothing was on
    it like brand new? I've never had that problem, but if no one else knows then
    you could give this a shot

    "Jay" wrote:

    > I just reinstalled XP due to a computer crash and now I hear a beep with
    > every keystroke. It's driving me nuts! Anyone know why this is doing this
    > and how to turn it off? I've checked the sound profiles and I can't find it.

    I did wipe the drive clean when I reinstalled. But thanks.

    "InTheZoneAC" wrote:

    > have you tried reinstalling windows xp again? Also, when you reinstalled xp
    > did you clean your hd of the previous xp installation so that nothing was on
    > it like brand new? I've never had that problem, but if no one else knows then
    > you could give this a shot
    >
    > "Jay" wrote:
    >
    > > I just reinstalled XP due to a computer crash and now I hear a beep with
    > > every keystroke. It's driving me nuts! Anyone know why this is doing this
    > > and how to turn it off? I've checked the sound profiles and I can't find it.

    Incompatible driver. Update your driver for your keyboard. Also check in Tools\Accessibility\Keyboard\Settings if Use sound is checked

    --
    Peter

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64812534-EFD5-4256-8EDE-531F2368C04F@microsoft.com...
    > I just reinstalled XP due to a computer crash and now I hear a beep with
    > every keystroke. It's driving me nuts! Anyone know why this is doing this
    > and how to turn it off? I've checked the sound profiles and I can't find it.

    And if you don't type?
    To turn off beep sound-Download and install Tweak UI.Check your settings
    under General>Beep on Errors>Uncheck and apply.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Jay wrote:

    > I just reinstalled XP due to a computer crash and now I hear a beep with
    > every keystroke. It's driving me nuts! Anyone know why this is doing this
    > and how to turn it off? I've checked the sound profiles and I can't find it.

    If I don't type then nothing happens. No noise.

    I went to the Tweak and unchecked what you said and it still does it.

    But thanks.

    Jay

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > And if you don't type?
    > To turn off beep sound-Download and install Tweak UI.Check your settings
    > under General>Beep on Errors>Uncheck and apply.
    >

    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >

    > Jay wrote:
    >
    > > I just reinstalled XP due to a computer crash and now I hear a beep with
    > > every keystroke. It's driving me nuts! Anyone know why this is doing this
    > > and how to turn it off? I've checked the sound profiles and I can't find it.

    This will also kill the startup and shutdown sounds.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    If the toggle key is on then you will get beep sound if you press CAPS
    LOCK, NUM LOCK, and SCROLL LOCK keys.But your case seems to be different
    as you hear the beep sound from every key stroke.
    You check your keyboard, you may try with a different keyboard.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Jay wrote:
    > If I don't type then nothing happens. No noise.
    >
    > I went to the Tweak and unchecked what you said and it still does it.
    >
    > But thanks.
    >
    > Jay
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >

    >>And if you don't type?
    >>To turn off beep sound-Download and install Tweak UI.Check your settings
    >>under General>Beep on Errors>Uncheck and apply.
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >>

    >>regards,
    >>ssg MS-MVP
    >>

    >>Jay wrote:
    >>

    >>>I just reinstalled XP due to a computer crash and now I hear a beep with
    >>>every keystroke. It's driving me nuts! Anyone know why this is doing this
    >>>and how to turn it off? I've checked the sound profiles and I can't find it.

  8. this problem is resolved by turning sticky fingers off by
    •Click Start → Control Panel → Ease of Access → Change how your keyboard works.
    •Locate the “Make it easier to type” heading.
    •Remove the check mark from the box next to “Turn on Sticky Keys”.

    turn off everything there. then you will not hear this annoying sound
  9. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Microsoft Windows XP