Sign in with
Your question

Tablet for me?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
February 27, 2012 2:25:43 PM

I am looking for a tablet that can make use of my dvd's on the shelf. I need to be able to use a browser than can get me around the net. I would like to get some type of external storage device that I could use to transfer the media I want to my device. Is there such a tablet yet? Web browsing is important to me and of course getting my movies to that device.

More about : tablet

February 27, 2012 8:36:05 PM

I need to be able to use a browser than can get me around the net.
No problem for most tablets. As long as you're OK with typing on the virtual keyboard.

I would like to get some type of external storage device that I could use to transfer the media I want to my device.
As long as the tablet has a USB port you can attach an external hard drive.

I am looking for a tablet that can make use of my dvd's on the shelf.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you explain?
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2012 4:54:58 AM

I got 200ish movies on the shelf that i would like to rip so I can transfer back and forth to a tablet should i want to take it on the road. I looked at ipad and kindle fire and neither could do what i wanted. I also read some negative reviews about browser problems and some sites loading real slow. It's all internet hearsay really. That why I am back here at Tom's. Some people helped me build a good gaming PC a few years ago that still works great for me.
m
l
February 28, 2012 5:01:03 AM

After looking at a few tablets I can say I like almost everything about the kindle fire. I just wish I could use my own movie library and not have to purchase everything from them. Of course thats the genius of the kindle... and ipad. Still may want a kindle to take to the reading throne. I will give that acer a look. Maybe you or somebody else will be able to enlighten me a little more. Thanks
m
l
February 28, 2012 8:03:44 AM

Web browsing on the Kindle Fire leaves a lot to be desired.
It's slow. And you're browsing gets routed through the Amazon proxy even if your destination isn't in the Amazon multi-verse. And its slow. Out of all the Fire's apps - the Silk browser probably needs the most work. And did I mention it's slow?
Of course as a media and content consumption device Fire is almost perfect. Partly because Silk isn't necessarily a part of buying content from Amazon.
m
l
!