The second NTFS boot sector is unwriteable (XP Home edition)

Every time I start windows XP chkdsk runs and completes its three
verifications successfully and gives the message the second NTFS boot sector
is unwriteable. Apparently windows writes a second NTFS boot sector in the
middle of the disk in case of emergencies. Can anyone suggest how to fix
this? All I have is the Windows XP OEM restore CD, but might the quick
format function that it provides resolve the issue?
7 answers Last reply
More about ntfs boot sector unwriteable home edition

    Looks like bad news.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/2413.asp

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "dube007ca" <dube007ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Every time I start windows XP chkdsk runs and completes its three
    verifications successfully and gives the message the second NTFS boot sector
    is unwriteable. Apparently windows writes a second NTFS boot sector in the
    middle of the disk in case of emergencies. Can anyone suggest how to fix
    this? All I have is the Windows XP OEM restore CD, but might the quick
    format function that it provides resolve the issue?

    The site you provided says the volume must be reformatted, does anyone know
    if my Windows XP OEM restore CD will do that with its quick format function?

    "River_Rat" wrote:

    > Looks like bad news.
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/2413.asp
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "dube007ca" <dube007ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Every time I start windows XP chkdsk runs and completes its three
    > verifications successfully and gives the message the second NTFS boot sector
    > is unwriteable. Apparently windows writes a second NTFS boot sector in the
    > middle of the disk in case of emergencies. Can anyone suggest how to fix
    > this? All I have is the Windows XP OEM restore CD, but might the quick
    > format function that it provides resolve the issue?

    Hi,

    Download and run a drive diagnostic tool from the drive or system
    manufacturer. This will tell you whether the problem is bad sectors on the
    disk, or a problem with the file table.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "dube007ca" <dube007ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Every time I start windows XP chkdsk runs and completes its three
    > verifications successfully and gives the message the second NTFS boot
    > sector
    > is unwriteable. Apparently windows writes a second NTFS boot sector in
    > the
    > middle of the disk in case of emergencies. Can anyone suggest how to fix
    > this? All I have is the Windows XP OEM restore CD, but might the quick
    > format function that it provides resolve the issue?

    Oddly, the problem seems to have been resolved after I defragmented the drive
    (was 31% fragmented). I'm not entirely sure how that worked given that
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/2413.asp
    suggests reformating the volume, repartitioning or replacing the disk for
    this particular issue.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Download and run a drive diagnostic tool from the drive or system
    > manufacturer. This will tell you whether the problem is bad sectors on the
    > disk, or a problem with the file table.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "dube007ca" <dube007ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Every time I start windows XP chkdsk runs and completes its three
    > > verifications successfully and gives the message the second NTFS boot
    > > sector
    > > is unwriteable. Apparently windows writes a second NTFS boot sector in
    > > the
    > > middle of the disk in case of emergencies. Can anyone suggest how to fix
    > > this? All I have is the Windows XP OEM restore CD, but might the quick
    > > format function that it provides resolve the issue?

    it appears that your hard drive may be going bad, backup your important
    stuff and get ready for a
    big crash down the road.
    "dube007ca" <dube007ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Every time I start windows XP chkdsk runs and completes its three
    > verifications successfully and gives the message the second NTFS boot
    > sector
    > is unwriteable. Apparently windows writes a second NTFS boot sector in
    > the
    > middle of the disk in case of emergencies. Can anyone suggest how to fix
    > this? All I have is the Windows XP OEM restore CD, but might the quick
    > format function that it provides resolve the issue?

    Which is precisely why I recommend a drive diagnostic to determine
    accurately if that is the case. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Once
    you know, then you cna head in the right direction to repair the problem.

    --

    > Oddly, the problem seems to have been resolved after I defragmented the
    > drive
    > (was 31% fragmented). I'm not entirely sure how that worked given that
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/2413.asp
    > suggests reformating the volume, repartitioning or replacing the disk for
    > this particular issue.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Download and run a drive diagnostic tool from the drive or system
    >> manufacturer. This will tell you whether the problem is bad sectors on
    >> the
    >> disk, or a problem with the file table.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "dube007ca" <dube007ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Every time I start windows XP chkdsk runs and completes its three
    >> > verifications successfully and gives the message the second NTFS boot
    >> > sector
    >> > is unwriteable. Apparently windows writes a second NTFS boot sector in
    >> > the
    >> > middle of the disk in case of emergencies. Can anyone suggest how to
    >> > fix
    >> > this? All I have is the Windows XP OEM restore CD, but might the quick
    >> > format function that it provides resolve the issue?

  7. If you have a virus scanner running it might prevent Windows format command to write to the boot sector. Solution is to temporarily stop the scanner while formatting the disk.

NTFS Boot Windows XP