How To: Upgrade Windows Vista To DirectX 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice tip. But I don't think many people with Vista will stay. Most people I know either plan on or already run Windows 7. I do myself and wont go back.

Still a good tip for some of the straglers.

Another thing I heard was that if your GPU had support for certain features that are in DX11, like say a HD4800 series, that it could run them without full DX11 support. I know that all HD2K+ series ATI GPUS can do tesselation so i hope what I have heard is true....

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Nice tip. But I don't think many people with Vista will stay. Most people I know either plan on or already run Windows 7. I do myself and wont go back.Still a good tip for some of the straglers.Another thing I heard was that if your GPU had support for certain features that are in DX11, like say a HD4800 series, that it could run them without full DX11 support. I know that all HD2K+ series ATI GPUS can do tesselation so i hope what I have heard is true....[/citation]
im pretty sure I read that here on toms hardware on one of the DX11 articles.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Everytime Toms remove the drop box, they get flamed. You would think they would listen. Please bring the drop box back. Clicking threw pics just isnt cuttin it..

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]im pretty sure I read that here on toms hardware on one of the DX11 articles.[/citation]
Simple things like threaded DX support will work this way. Not some of the more advanced DX11 shaders and such. So DX11 games will undoubtedly run faster under DX11 software models. But it wont look as good if not paired with DX11 hardware.

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]I'm waiting on nVidia DX 11 cards.[/citation]
Nvidia won't get DX11 since they are made by Microsoft AND ATI/AMD. So they won't just give a source to Nvidia.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
My first reaction is to say, "What's the point?", but after doing a little more reading, there might be some benefit for this - it's very likely we'll see DX11 games show up much sooner than DX10 games did, and that some of the benefits from DX11 don't require a new DX11 graphics card.

Although for me there's little point to it, since I'm running Win7RC, and will be getting full Win7 when I can afford it.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Nice tip. But I don't think many people with Vista will stay. Most people I know either plan on or already run Windows 7. I do myself and wont go back.Still a good tip for some of the straglers.Another thing I heard was that if your GPU had support for certain features that are in DX11, like say a HD4800 series, that it could run them without full DX11 support. I know that all HD2K+ series ATI GPUS can do tesselation so i hope what I have heard is true....[/citation]

Sadly I will be with Vista for awhile. Windows 7 cost too much for Ultimate which is what I need to do an upgrade.

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I too like the ubersmurf just got redirected.... oh well I should have Win 7 on its way today anyways.. but as far as DX10 being a mistake..? wasnt it sposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but just too difficult to program for..? DX11 is sposed to be much easier to program.. But we'll have to really see if Microsoft is just puffing smoke.. We all need new hardware to run this new software... Or we for the most part buy into this. Thats what keeps the economy going. The only killer game for DX10 was and is CRYSIS, c'mon, one game..? And its an old game now... lol Is DX11 just gonna be a repeat? Guess we'll have to see..

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
If all this is just a script why not post the code instead of a link?
Some of us prefer CLI than running some script we have to open and look at anyway... *Shrug*

Here

Nothing much to see

Code:
@echo off

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Win7IP /v Beta1 /t REG_SZ /d 870b5ec7-d7d9-4e12-adfb-17b770359b51 /f
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Win7IP /v Beta1 /t REG_SZ /d 870b5ec7-d7d9-4e12-adfb-17b770359b51 /f

IF NOT %errorlevel% == 0 ( goto ERROR)

:SUCCESS
@echo.
echo ===========================================================
echo  Platform Update for Windows Vista registry key has been 
echo  set successfully. 
echo  Please check for updates in Windows Update.
echo  presented by www.tomshardware.com/de/.
@echo.
goto END

:ERROR
@echo.
echo  FAILED to set Platform Update for Windows Vista registry keys.
echo  Please run this script by right clicking and selecting
echo  "Run as Administrator".
echo  presented by www.tomshardware.com/de/.
@echo.
goto END

:END
pause

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I don't get all the Vista hating. It works fine for me. Granted it took a few hours to tweak to my liking, but now that it's up and running (been running it since February), I really like it.

Thanks for the article, Toms! I was having issues with playing some DX11 game demos, and now I can finally get to it.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]I'm waiting on nVidia DX 11 cards.[/citation]
Same i hope it's great if not the 5770 isn't going anywhere only possible diff is a lower price.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
i bet nvidia has been holding off until now to finally start using more advanced than GDDR3 memory. Isnt it already true that with Nvidia cards the actual memory performance is double the clock speed right? If so than would that mean that with GDDR5 it would be like having 4x the memory speed? I could be completely wrong

G

Yawn..

Gosh.. another bungle ohh yea I forgot.. I use Ubuntu GL pawns dx
Another story of people struggling with a crap O/S .. Convert to Ubuntu all your MS problems will go away.. and crash.. After Upgrading to Ubuntu.. that does not exist anymore.. Such a nice thing.

[citation][nom]core i7 ownage[/nom]Nvidia won't get DX11 since they are made by Microsoft AND ATI/AMD. So they won't just give a source to Nvidia.[/citation]

Whoa so wrong. DX11 is made by MS. ATI just had support first, much like ATI had the first true DX10 cards.

nVidia will have them with their G300 series GPUs but not for a bit longer. Right now ATI is the only DX11 GPU maker.

rubberjohnson

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]Damn should I wait for DX11Nvidia cards(GTX3xx) or get the GTX285 already?!?[/citation]
How about you stop being a fanboy and buy an ATI card...

G

@jimmysmitty

you are dead wrong about that

Nvidia was the first to support DirectX 10 >>>>> Geforce 8

Status
Not open for further replies.