New Windows 7 desktop in the UK for my Dad?

ssp212

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
My Dad needs a new desktop PC. I know he won't get on with Windows 8, but would be fine with Windows 7. He doesn't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse, but he will need an optical drive. He will be using it mainly for email, word processing, browsing and very limited photo editing. A smaller case would be nice.

Most of the big stores seem to be all Windows 8 already. Some places like Scan seem to do a few basic Windows 7 systems, but the cases are quite large. I was wondering about possibly suggesting a Dell OptiPlex (as these are still on Windows 7) or building one for him (not sure if this would be more hassle than it's worth).

Any suggestions?

Go ahead and build one - you'll enjoy doing it and the feeling once you've finished and it works is a good one. Start with a barebones system and build on that - Novatech in Portsmouth ship good quality systems all over the country. http://www.novatech.co.uk

Failing that, pass on the big stores - they probably took everything out of the shop front that wasn't Windows 8 and they won't be seen again until after Christmas. Smaller shops will still have them and will probably discount. Even a decent XP system and a Windows 7 DVD would do without spending a lot. One-man-bands like me sometimes have small stocks and are also worth a call.

cuong

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I agree with Saga Lout - DIY !!!

Its a brilliant feeling when it boots for the first time.

Stay away from XP and get Win7. XP was good but makes no sense to install on a new system plus Win 7 installation is so much easier it almost self installs.

ssp212

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for the answers. I probably should have said, but I built myself a machine a couple of years ago and was very pleased with the results. I suppose I wasn't sure if it would be worth building such a low spec machine if something was already available, but those Novatech barebones systems look like they might fit the bill.