[rules][software] The Minstrel's Song 2.0 released

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.frp.announce,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

I am releasing The Minstrel's Song version 2.0, which retains the rich
world of previous versions while adding simple graphics. The Minstrel's
Song is both a tabletop role playing game and a computer game.

The Minstrel's Song is heavy on world building, and I've made
substantial effort to dig deep when I was creating their cultures.
Would you like to see a list of the top 10 things to do in the
computer game?

10. Pet a dolphin.
9. Pray and worship.
8. Ride a dragon.
7. Match wits with a clockwork door.
6. Climb a tree.
5. Answer a riddle.
4. Build your own mechanical devices.
3. Keep an exotic pet.
2. Choose your own quest.
1. Explore a world of wonder.

The computer game should work, both as a traditional roguelike game,
and as a sort of game master's assistant where the game master is free
to add add his or her own creative touch while the computer takes care
of the legwork, the basic quests, encounters, item generation, and so
on and so forth. In the computer game, there is a series of quests. Yet
the world is designed to allow nonlinear exploration and play. If
you've wanted a game where you weren't constrained to the designer's
path but could run after your own creative challenges, you might like
The Minstrel's Song.

I have devoted a major section of my website to both the tabletop
roleplaying game and the computer at:

http://jonathanscorner.com/tms/

I have new releases of a very nostalgic, retro "roguelike" computer
game at:

http://jonathanscorner.com/tms /download/

There you can find new releases for Windows, Unix, and Linux that are
much more stable than any previous release.

Would you like to be drawn into The Minstrel's Song?

++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan.hayward@pobox.com
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,
** an RPG, and a four-dimensional maze, why not visit my home page?
** All of this is waiting for you at http://JonathansCorner.com

10 answers Last reply
More about rules software minstrel song released
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Okay. I downloaded the Windows version for my WinXP machine. I
    downloaded the cygwin as well. I got it working, and I put my
    tms_2.0.zip folder in c:\cygwin\home\rob folder. When I start cygwin
    and type unzip tsm_2.0.zip, I get a command that it can't find unzip.
    If I type gunzip tms_2.0.zip, I get unknown suffix, igorned.
    If I type bunzip2 tms_2.0.zip, I get two error messages, one of which
    says that tms_2.0.zip is not a bzip2 file.

    Please help me install this! I can't use the older MAC version because
    I need stuffit deluxe to uncompress the file!

    Thanks

    Rob
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Okay, I figured out that I can download the unzip program successfully.
    But I get all sorts of errors when trying to download all the
    different programs from cygwin. I am going to see if I can get the mac
    version running.

    Thanks

    Rob
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Okay, here is the error I get: "could not init font path element
    /usr/xr11r6/lib/x11/fonts/cid/"

    Thanks

    Rob
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jonathan Hayward writes:

    > I am releasing The Minstrel's Song version 2.0, which retains the rich
    > world of previous versions while adding simple graphics. The Minstrel's
    > Song is both a tabletop role playing game and a computer game.

    I gave the windows version a shot. Got it to work by unzipping using
    standard windows zip and downloading the entirity of the graphics
    folder in Cygwin setup (which wasn't the default).

    But I never managed to get out of town. I had several crashes. The
    ones I remember were trying to talk to someone and exiting a building.
    Also, the game goes extremely slow (one move takes a little over a
    second). And the play yourself character generation seems to be quite
    buggy.

    So I don't have much of an impression of the game itself for you. I'm
    curious about the large number of available skills, although I can't
    guess what many of them do. I don't like having to use pop-up menus to
    interact with shops. Seemingly, the scrollback buffer doesn't work,
    and I don't like how some things show up there and some show up in
    dialog boxes.

    In other news, it looks like Google Groups Beta now supports [] tags!
    O fabjous day!
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    You should download cygwin unzip and unzip it using that, like the
    readme file in the game says. That may fix bugs. (Of course, I
    haven't got mine working yet!)

    Rob
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Okay, I got mine working. It saves okay, but I can't load! It says
    that it is an invalid save format. I am using WinXP. How do I get an
    error log to post here, rather than typing everything that is on my
    screen?

    Thanks

    Rob
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Rubinstein wrote:
    > Igor D. WonderLlama wrote:
    > > Jonathan Hayward writes:
    > >
    > > In other news, it looks like Google Groups Beta now supports [] tags!
    > > O fabjous day!
    >
    > Centuries later... unbelievable! LOL

    Unbelievable it is! :)

    Off-topic, that attribution is a little botched. Igor was the one who
    said that quote, not Jonathan Hayward.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    --
    Rubinstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    bencillan@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Rubinstein wrote:
    >> Igor D. WonderLlama wrote:
    >> > Jonathan Hayward writes:
    >> >
    >> > In other news, it looks like Google Groups Beta now supports []
    >> > tags! O fabjous day!
    >>
    >> Centuries later... unbelievable! LOL
    >
    > Unbelievable it is! :)
    >
    > Off-topic, that attribution is a little botched. Igor was the one who
    > said that quote, not Jonathan Hayward.

    I can't see anything wrong with the quoting levels, I just forgot (my
    fault indeed, though small and arguable) to remove "Jonathan Hayward
    writes:", since I snipped everything he posted. But the number of quote
    marks unambiguously (and correctly) shows who said what.

    Besides, Jonathan Hayward seems to be a one-way street. He's posting
    frequently, but have you ever seen a reaction of him?
    --
    Rubinstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
    Ceterum censeo Microsoftem delendam esse.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Rubinstein wrote:
    > bencillan@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >
    > > Rubinstein wrote:

    > >> Centuries later... unbelievable! LOL
    > >
    > > Unbelievable it is! :)
    > >
    > > Off-topic, that attribution is a little botched. Igor was the one who
    > > said that quote, not Jonathan Hayward.
    >
    > I can't see anything wrong with the quoting levels, I just forgot (my
    > fault indeed, though small and arguable) to remove "Jonathan Hayward
    > writes:", since I snipped everything he posted. But the number of quote
    > marks unambiguously (and correctly) shows who said what.

    That could account for my "grammar alert" going off. :)
    Otherwise, sorry for being nitpicky.

    > Besides, Jonathan Hayward seems to be a one-way street. He's posting
    > frequently, but have you ever seen a reaction of him?

    Can't say that I have. Maybe he is just posting advertisement, not
    really intending to follow-up to his posts.

Computers Games Video Games