Susie

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

My pc has been trying for about a month now to update Java from 1.4.2_06 to
1.5..
to no avail. Everytime the Windows Installer starts, an alert box comes up
stating that the Installation Package is not valid. I've tried to download &
run the update from Sun and I get the exact same message. I've tried to
manually download the update & run it in TYPICAL mode and it goes almost
through setup until the very end when it states that the directory is locked
and I need to close any browsers (that aren't even open) and retry - it
finally forces me to exit the setup, but shows that it is installed (but it's
really not). I've tried to run it in CUSTOM mode, choosing my own directory
and it still tells me that the directory is locked and I need to close any
browsers (that, again aren't even open) - which forces me to exit setup.
I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and had JRE 1.4.2_05 and _06 - I
accidentally deleted the 05 version and I feel that this may be a
contributing cause. In my control panel (my Windows Control Panel) Java used
to show up as "Java" only and since then it's showing up as "Java Plug-In"
Please help me so I can get past this annoying problem! I would greatly
appreciate it!!
Thank You
--
Susie L.

Use this first and try the download after a reboot of below

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290301
--
Peter

Susie wrote:
> My pc has been trying for about a month now to update Java from 1.4.2_06 to
> 1.5..
> to no avail. Everytime the Windows Installer starts, an alert box comes up
> stating that the Installation Package is not valid. I've tried to download &
> run the update from Sun and I get the exact same message. I've tried to
> manually download the update & run it in TYPICAL mode and it goes almost
> through setup until the very end when it states that the directory is locked
> and I need to close any browsers (that aren't even open) and retry - it
> finally forces me to exit the setup, but shows that it is installed (but it's
> really not). I've tried to run it in CUSTOM mode, choosing my own directory
> and it still tells me that the directory is locked and I need to close any
> browsers (that, again aren't even open) - which forces me to exit setup.
> I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and had JRE 1.4.2_05 and _06 - I
> accidentally deleted the 05 version and I feel that this may be a
> contributing cause. In my control panel (my Windows Control Panel) Java used
> to show up as "Java" only and since then it's showing up as "Java Plug-In"
> Please help me so I can get past this annoying problem! I would greatly
> appreciate it!!
> Thank You

You have a problem with Windows installer. Make sure you
have Windows installer 3.1 installed first. The older
installer cannot parse the newer files.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

I have the same error message on my computer. I am running windows xp home
edition. I upgraded from windows 98se. I saved all my files from windows
98se. I don't remember deleting any files. When I try to access certain
programs, it tells me to enable java in my browser, I tried all this but no
luck! I can't install the java runtime download, I get the same message as
you. I'm using the latest version of Opera browser.

"Susie" wrote:

> My pc has been trying for about a month now to update Java from 1.4.2_06 to
> 1.5..
> to no avail. Everytime the Windows Installer starts, an alert box comes up
> stating that the Installation Package is not valid. I've tried to download &
> run the update from Sun and I get the exact same message. I've tried to
> manually download the update & run it in TYPICAL mode and it goes almost
> through setup until the very end when it states that the directory is locked
> and I need to close any browsers (that aren't even open) and retry - it
> finally forces me to exit the setup, but shows that it is installed (but it's
> really not). I've tried to run it in CUSTOM mode, choosing my own directory
> and it still tells me that the directory is locked and I need to close any
> browsers (that, again aren't even open) - which forces me to exit setup.
> I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and had JRE 1.4.2_05 and _06 - I
> accidentally deleted the 05 version and I feel that this may be a
> contributing cause. In my control panel (my Windows Control Panel) Java used
> to show up as "Java" only and since then it's showing up as "Java Plug-In"
> Please help me so I can get past this annoying problem! I would greatly
> appreciate it!!
> Thank You
> --
> Susie L.

Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs. Uninstall the highest
existing version of Java on the machine. Then continue uninstalling
by descending version number. If any particular version will not do
an uninstall - download that version and re-install it. Then continue
with the uninstalling process. Once you have all Sun Java versions
off the machine, use Explorer and remove the Java sub-folder in the
C:\Program Files\ tree.
Next use Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files
and remove the Java folder found there.
Finally, download and run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility.
When the available items for cleanup appear, check for any J2SE
entries, if they exist Left Click one at time to Highlight and then click
the Remove button. Reboot the PC and try your latest Sun Java
package install again.