My computer hangs, freezes, locks up after about 15 minute..

I have XP with SP2, my computer freezes up after about 15 minutes being idle
and I can only get it going again by resetting it. Any suggestions? I have
run diagnostic programs but there doesn't appear to be any errors.
9 answers Last reply
More about computer hangs freezes locks minute

    Moby wrote:
    > I have XP with SP2, my computer freezes up after about 15 minutes being idle
    > and I can only get it going again by resetting it. Any suggestions? I have
    > run diagnostic programs but there doesn't appear to be any errors.

    Hi Moby,

    Have you tried disabling startup programs through msconfig
    (Start>Run>msconfig) until you isolate the problem? If not, are you
    comfortable doing this?

    Sincerely,
    Benjamin Johnstone-Anderson
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Security
    Security Manifest - http://www.msmvps.com/trafton/

    Thanks Trafton,
    I am fairly computer illiterate but I will try your suggestion with my
    fingers crossed.

    "Trafton" wrote:

    > Moby wrote:
    > > I have XP with SP2, my computer freezes up after about 15 minutes being idle
    > > and I can only get it going again by resetting it. Any suggestions? I have
    > > run diagnostic programs but there doesn't appear to be any errors.
    >
    > Hi Moby,
    >
    > Have you tried disabling startup programs through msconfig
    > (Start>Run>msconfig) until you isolate the problem? If not, are you
    > comfortable doing this?
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Benjamin Johnstone-Anderson
    > Microsoft MVP, Windows Security
    > Security Manifest - http://www.msmvps.com/trafton/

    Moby

    Try and run your AV,Spybot,AdAware,Hijackthis,CWShredder

    Also
    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Peter

    "Moby" <Moby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9493365A-1D3E-47B6-82EE-C513147A7FDF@microsoft.com...
    > I have XP with SP2, my computer freezes up after about 15 minutes being idle
    > and I can only get it going again by resetting it. Any suggestions? I have
    > run diagnostic programs but there doesn't appear to be any errors.

    When you say freezes, do you mean you can't move the mouse anymore? Does the
    screen turn black or can you still see everything? You can use the computer
    but as soon as it becomes idle for 15 minutes, it will cause this problem?

    Have you checked your Power Options? You can get to it through control
    panel.

    bob

    "" wrote:
    > I have XP with SP2, my computer freezes up after about 15
    > minutes being idle
    > and I can only get it going again by resetting it. Any
    > suggestions? I have
    > run diagnostic programs but there doesn't appear to be any
    > errors.

    Also make sure you run a defragmenter on the HD if your fragmentation
    levels are high as this may lead to crashes and freezeups.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-computer-hangs-freezes-locks-15-minutes-ftopict552080.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1751383

    I am also having the same problem as you have described and have found that
    cleaning temp files and defragmenting has't made a difference. I tried
    seaching for spyware with a few different programs and also virus checked but
    with no luck. I have had this problem while playing games playing games as
    well, with no option but to restart.

    "Fredd" <Fredd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am also having the same problem as you have described and have found that
    > cleaning temp files and defragmenting has't made a difference. I tried
    > seaching for spyware with a few different programs and also virus checked
    > but
    > with no luck. I have had this problem while playing games playing games as
    > well, with no option but to restart.
    >
    > "cadmium" wrote:
    >
    >> "" wrote:
    >> > I have XP with SP2, my computer freezes up after about 15
    >> > minutes being idle
    >> > and I can only get it going again by resetting it. Any
    >> > suggestions? I have
    >> > run diagnostic programs but there doesn't appear to be any
    >> > errors.
    >>
    >> Also make sure you run a defragmenter on the HD if your fragmentation
    >> levels are high as this may lead to crashes and freezeups.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    >> request
    >> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    >> Topic URL:
    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-computer-hangs-freezes-locks-15-minutes-ftopict552080.html
    >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1751383

    Hi
    1.Disable Screen saver
    2 Go to Control Panel>Power options
    Turn power schemes to "Always On"
    Turn off Monitor to "Never"
    Turn off Hard disks "Never"
    System Standby "Never"

    Go to Hibernate then untick "Enable Hibernation"

    "It's Worth trying in the first Instance"
    Chas

    Ok thanks will do, but any other reason as to what is causing it would be
    useful because this would only be a temp fix if that

    > Ok thanks will do, but any other reason as to what is causing it would be
    > useful because this would only be a temp fix if that
    >
    > "Chas" wrote:
    >

    >> "Fredd" <Fredd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am also having the same problem as you have described and have found
    >> >that
    >> > cleaning temp files and defragmenting has't made a difference. I tried
    >> > seaching for spyware with a few different programs and also virus
    >> > checked
    >> > but
    >> > with no luck. I have had this problem while playing games playing games
    >> > as
    >> > well, with no option but to restart.

    >> Hi
    >> 1.Disable Screen saver
    >> 2 Go to Control Panel>Power options
    >> Turn power schemes to "Always On"
    >> Turn off Monitor to "Never"
    >> Turn off Hard disks "Never"
    >> System Standby "Never"
    >>
    >> Go to Hibernate then untick "Enable Hibernation"
    >>
    >> "It's Worth trying in the first Instance"
    >> Chas

    Hi
    Bad Ram could give this problem(free memory test link below)
    http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
    So could Overheating.
    Chas

Computers Microsoft Windows XP