Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need advice (again) this time regarding possible Clie purc..

Tags:
Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 3:56:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

After getting pissed off with PalmOne and their inability to provide
wifi expansions (I hate the layout of the Tungsten C, which is AFAIK the
only Palm product that doesn't require a really clunky carrying case
adapter thingie to achieve wireless access), I'm now thinking of buying a
Clie of some sort. I've heard rumours of Sony ditching the Clie, but I
don't really pay attention to such things and thus am not sure about the
validity of this.

Anyways, does anyone have a particular Clie model that they really like,
or perhaps criticisms of the product in general? I'm looking for a fairly
slim device with wifi (or the ability to add a wifi expansion) and without
a Blackberry-esque keyboard. Sony has a few models on sonystyle.com right
now that look half-decent, but some testimonials would be reassuring :D 

Thanks!

-Debo

More about : advice time clie purc

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 3:24:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

My TJ-37 has WiFi, MP3/Ogg Vorbis/WMA, built-in camera. Gorgeous color
screen. Battery life is a little disappointing, at around 4 hours without
wireless, but that must be due to the color screen.

I love it to death. I paid around $245 right after Sony announced they were
discontinuing development for Clié. You can probably find it cheaper now.


"Michael DiBernardo" <mddibern@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.4.58.0409052350330.67@cpu10.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca...
> After getting pissed off with PalmOne and their inability to provide
> wifi expansions (I hate the layout of the Tungsten C, which is AFAIK the
> only Palm product that doesn't require a really clunky carrying case
> adapter thingie to achieve wireless access), I'm now thinking of buying a
> Clie of some sort. I've heard rumours of Sony ditching the Clie, but I
> don't really pay attention to such things and thus am not sure about the
> validity of this.
>
> Anyways, does anyone have a particular Clie model that they really like,
> or perhaps criticisms of the product in general? I'm looking for a fairly
> slim device with wifi (or the ability to add a wifi expansion) and without
> a Blackberry-esque keyboard. Sony has a few models on sonystyle.com right
> now that look half-decent, but some testimonials would be reassuring :D 
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Debo
September 6, 2004 3:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Dave Kleinberg" <david@kleinbergSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:413c2ca8$1_1@news.unc.edu...
> My TJ-37 has WiFi, MP3/Ogg Vorbis/WMA, built-in camera. Gorgeous color
> screen. Battery life is a little disappointing, at around 4 hours without
> wireless, but that must be due to the color screen.
>
> I love it to death. I paid around $245 right after Sony announced they
were
> discontinuing development for Clié. You can probably find it cheaper now.

I'll second all that. I've got a TJ-37 (bought the day after Sony announced
no more PDA's for the US market). Good luck actually buying it on line. You
may end up having to dig around Ebay to find one. Our local Office Depot
still has a few in stock for full retail ($299).

--
Malcolm
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 6:58:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 11:24:00 +0200, "Dave Kleinberg"
<david@kleinbergSPAM.net> wrote:

>My TJ-37 has WiFi, MP3/Ogg Vorbis/WMA, built-in camera. Gorgeous color
>screen. Battery life is a little disappointing, at around 4 hours without
>wireless, but that must be due to the color screen.
>
>I love it to death. I paid around $245 right after Sony announced they were
>discontinuing development for Clié. You can probably find it cheaper now.
>
>
>"Michael DiBernardo" <mddibern@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
>news:p ine.GSO.4.58.0409052350330.67@cpu10.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca...
>> After getting pissed off with PalmOne and their inability to provide
>> wifi expansions (I hate the layout of the Tungsten C, which is AFAIK the
>> only Palm product that doesn't require a really clunky carrying case
>> adapter thingie to achieve wireless access), I'm now thinking of buying a
>> Clie of some sort. I've heard rumours of Sony ditching the Clie, but I
>> don't really pay attention to such things and thus am not sure about the
>> validity of this.
>>
>> Anyways, does anyone have a particular Clie model that they really like,
>> or perhaps criticisms of the product in general? I'm looking for a fairly
>> slim device with wifi (or the ability to add a wifi expansion) and without
>> a Blackberry-esque keyboard. Sony has a few models on sonystyle.com right
>> now that look half-decent, but some testimonials would be reassuring :D 

I've got a TH-55, which is like the TJ-37 except that it has a 320 x
480 display instead of 320 x 320. Has everything the 37 does, plus
better battery life: run, don't walk, to get one of these while
they're still available.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 9:43:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Michael DiBernardo" <mddibern@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.4.58.0409052350330.67@cpu10.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca...

> After getting pissed off with PalmOne and their inability to provide
> wifi expansions (I hate the layout of the Tungsten C, which is AFAIK the
> only Palm product that doesn't require a really clunky carrying case
> adapter thingie to achieve wireless access)

PalmOne has now released a wifi card that works for the z72, and the t3.

You can order one now here:
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/accessories/expansio...

In addition, sandisk has a wifi card for the z71

So, you have some choices. While these wifi cards don't work on older palm
models, they likely will work on new models as they come out.

You can read a review of the card here:
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7053

And, palmone has already posted download drivers for the cards on their
site...

So, while PalmOne was slow on this issue..things are moving along rather
nicely in this regards..and a sd wifi card is avaiable.
--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn
September 7, 2004 12:46:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message news:ijuoj0lo0l07qa3nk9f4jiij7vhg0qsb4j@4ax.com...
> I've got a TH-55, which is like the TJ-37 except that it has a 320 x
> 480 display instead of 320 x 320. Has everything the 37 does, plus
> better battery life: run, don't walk, to get one of these while
> they're still available.

Mike is giving you bad advice!!!!! Running is not nearly fast enough, find
the fastest mode of transport you can to get you to somewhere where you
can buy a TH55 while they're still available. The form factor is great (it fits in
the same wallet I used for my old Palm m515), the screen is great, and the
battery life... "Hmmmm battery life". Without WiFi use I get over 14 hours
from a charge, sometimes over 16 hours if I have been doing mostly ebook
reading and not played Bejewelled too much. Quite simply the best PDA
on the planet right now.

- Julian
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 4:11:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks to everyone who replied -- it was a great help. I'm currently
trying to scam out the best deal I can get on either a TJ37 or TH55. They
both make me drool.

BTW, if anyone knows of any good Clie dealers in Canada (esp. Ontario) I'd
appreciate the heads-up :D 
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 9:25:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Michael DiBernardo wrote:
>
> After getting pissed off with PalmOne and their inability to provide
> wifi expansions (I hate the layout of the Tungsten C, which is AFAIK the
> only Palm product that doesn't require a really clunky carrying case
> adapter thingie to achieve wireless access), I'm now thinking of buying a
> Clie of some sort. I've heard rumours of Sony ditching the Clie, but I
> don't really pay attention to such things and thus am not sure about the
> validity of this.
>
> Anyways, does anyone have a particular Clie model that they really like,
> or perhaps criticisms of the product in general? I'm looking for a fairly
> slim device with wifi (or the ability to add a wifi expansion) and without
> a Blackberry-esque keyboard. Sony has a few models on sonystyle.com right
> now that look half-decent, but some testimonials would be reassuring :D 

I thought Sony was getting out of the PDA business.

No?

Notan
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:00:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> I thought Sony was getting out of the PDA business.
>
> No?
>
> Notan

AIUI only in the USA, because the PDAs are too sophisticated for Americans
to understand!
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:00:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Tiny Tim wrote:
>
> > I thought Sony was getting out of the PDA business.
> >
> > No?
> >
> > Notan
>
> AIUI only in the USA, because the PDAs are too sophisticated for Americans
> to understand!

Yeah, Tim, that must be it.

And what sophisticated land are you from?

Notan
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:02:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Tiny Tim wrote:

>>I thought Sony was getting out of the PDA business.

> AIUI only in the USA, because the PDAs are too sophisticated for Americans
> to understand!

I thought it was because their market share in the US was plummeting,
and they were losing money on the operation.

- Logan
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:11:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:413F5653.3D3B8FA@ddress.com...
> Tiny Tim wrote:
>>
>> > I thought Sony was getting out of the PDA business.
>> >
>> > No?
>> >
>> > Notan
>>
>> AIUI only in the USA, because the PDAs are too sophisticated for
>> Americans
>> to understand!
>
> Yeah, Tim, that must be it.
>
> And what sophisticated land are you from?
>
> Notan

I fail to see the relevance of my domicile. This is not a pissing contest. I
took the understanding I have from the article here -

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Why_Sony_Failed_in_US

Here is a small extract from the article.....

Sony failed with Clies in the U.S. because its devices had numerous small
software controls with cryptic icons, buried settings with vast numbers of
mystifying variables to set up things like Wi-Fi, and unnecessarily
complicated looking screens. Apparently for the Japanese consumer, a
complicated-looking Applications screen suggests that the device is cool and
powerful. In America, the same screen is seen as too complicated and
confusing, and if it requires a manual to figure it out, it's going back to
the store.

There's even proof of this inside every Clie box lid. Sony prints the
message, "If your product is not working properly, DO NOT RETURN IT TO THE
STORE..." then it tells you how to get tech support via a toll-free number
or web address. The box lid message finishes with, "For U.S. customers
only."



Regards,

Tim.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:11:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Tiny Tim wrote:
>
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> news:413F5653.3D3B8FA@ddress.com...
> > Tiny Tim wrote:
> >>
> >> > I thought Sony was getting out of the PDA business.
> >> >
> >> > No?
> >> >
> >> > Notan
> >>
> >> AIUI only in the USA, because the PDAs are too sophisticated for
> >> Americans
> >> to understand!
> >
> > Yeah, Tim, that must be it.
> >
> > And what sophisticated land are you from?
> >
> > Notan
>
> I fail to see the relevance of my domicile. This is not a pissing contest. I
> took the understanding I have from the article here -
>
> <reference snipped>

In my opinion, your post, with *your* wording, and without a reference,
implies a lack of intelligence on the part of "Americans."

Notan
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:413F8A55.844E3308@ddress.com...
> Tiny Tim wrote:

>> I fail to see the relevance of my domicile. This is not a pissing
>> contest. I
>> took the understanding I have from the article here -
>>
>> <reference snipped>
>
> In my opinion, your post, with *your* wording, and without a reference,
> implies a lack of intelligence on the part of "Americans."
>
> Notan

Well I'm sorry about that. I posted from memory. It then took me a while to
dig up the article in order to explain how I came to my understanding.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Tiny Tim wrote:
>
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> news:413F8A55.844E3308@ddress.com...
> > Tiny Tim wrote:
>
> >> I fail to see the relevance of my domicile. This is not a pissing
> >> contest. I
> >> took the understanding I have from the article here -
> >>
> >> <reference snipped>
> >
> > In my opinion, your post, with *your* wording, and without a reference,
> > implies a lack of intelligence on the part of "Americans."
> >
> > Notan
>
> Well I'm sorry about that. I posted from memory. It then took me a while to
> dig up the article in order to explain how I came to my understanding.

Here's a slightly different slant...

http://news.com.com/Sony+to+exit+key+handheld+arenas/21...

Notan
September 9, 2004 4:53:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:11:24 +0100, Tiny Tim wrote:

> There's even proof of this inside every Clie box lid. Sony prints the
> message, "If your product is not working properly, DO NOT RETURN IT TO THE
> STORE..." then it tells you how to get tech support via a toll-free number
> or web address. The box lid message finishes with, "For U.S. customers
> only."

Sony may have that message because customer's find the product
confusing, but it isn't proof. Many other manufacturers of far
simpler products say the same thing. It reduces the number of
returns or exchanges for competitor's products.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 5:02:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

BillB wrote:
>
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:11:24 +0100, Tiny Tim wrote:
>
> > There's even proof of this inside every Clie box lid. Sony prints the
> > message, "If your product is not working properly, DO NOT RETURN IT TO THE
> > STORE..." then it tells you how to get tech support via a toll-free number
> > or web address. The box lid message finishes with, "For U.S. customers
> > only."
>
> Sony may have that message because customer's find the product
> confusing, but it isn't proof. Many other manufacturers of far
> simpler products say the same thing. It reduces the number of
> returns or exchanges for competitor's products.

Another possibility is that the U.S. has different policies,
for returns and repairs, than the rest of the world.

Notan
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 4:45:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I bought my TJ37 from FutureShop in Hamilton a few months
ago. My only disappointment is battery life.

Seeing your email address is for Waterloo, check
the local outlet there.


Michael DiBernardo <mddibern@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in
news:p ine.GSO.4.58.0409080010530.15833@cpu10.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca:

> Thanks to everyone who replied -- it was a great help. I'm currently
> trying to scam out the best deal I can get on either a TJ37 or TH55.
> They both make me drool.
>
> BTW, if anyone knows of any good Clie dealers in Canada (esp. Ontario)
> I'd appreciate the heads-up :D 
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 11:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:00:06 +0100, "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> I thought Sony was getting out of the PDA business.
>>
>> No?
>>
>> Notan
>
>AIUI only in the USA, because the PDAs are too sophisticated for Americans
>to understand!
>
Hi -

Sorry: they are also leaving Europe as well. They keep the home market
alive, but that's it.

John
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Attack-morons aflame off
the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter in the
ether near the waikato.ac.nz gateway. All those moments will be lost in
time - like beers in the rain. Time to unsubscribe...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
!