Sign in with
Your question

Number pad not working properly.

Last response: in Windows 7
August 31, 2012 1:21:05 PM

Hello,
The number pad on my acer laptop is out of wack. My toddlers got a hold my computer and must have changed a setting. Some of the numbers work...but when I press the 8...the screen reloads and erases part of the number sequence I already punched in. Also, the 6 above the letters does something similar. How do I reset the number pad so that I can use it?
August 31, 2012 2:46:25 PM

HI, What model is the Acer?

And do the keys feel sticky,as in do they jump right back up after pressing?
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:08:48 PM

It's an Acer Aspire. And no the keys are not sticky. The "8" on keypad to the right will erase part of a number sequence I've already put in and replace it with "8-".
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2012 3:12:19 PM

The minus key will also show "8-". The 6 at top of keyboard will send the cursor right to search/address bar. I often use the "alt" key for letters with accents...but that is acting up as well.
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:46:39 PM

The keyboard is damaged then, or the ribbon cable below the keyboard sending the keypresses into the notebook is a bit loosened.

What model is the Aspire exactly, there are over 30+ models?
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:47:40 PM

The keyboard is damaged then, or the ribbon cable below the keyboard sending the keypresses into the notebook is a bit loosened.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2012 3:51:33 PM

blakwidowrsa said:

Agreed.

Keyboards in laptops are extremely easy to replace and cheap. I would first check the connection (ribbon) then order a new one if that doesn't help. Any simple youtube video can show you where to take the screws out etc to replace them.
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:54:33 PM

Sometimes there aren't even screws. But be careful, occasionally the track-pad is also connected through the keyboard at awkward places ...
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:58:30 PM

Sometimes there aren't even screws. But be careful, occasionally the track-pad is also connected through the keyboard at awkward places ...
m
l
August 31, 2012 5:24:26 PM

Aspire 5736Z-4435

If Keyboard is damaged...I will bring it in to get repaired. Will not take the chance of damaging it even more.

Thanks for your help :) 
m
l
!