Number pad not working properly.

Hello,
The number pad on my acer laptop is out of wack. My toddlers got a hold my computer and must have changed a setting. Some of the numbers work...but when I press the 8...the screen reloads and erases part of the number sequence I already punched in. Also, the 6 above the letters does something similar. How do I reset the number pad so that I can use it?
9 answers Last reply
More about number working properly
  1. HI, What model is the Acer?

And do the keys feel sticky,as in do they jump right back up after pressing?
  2. It's an Acer Aspire. And no the keys are not sticky. The "8" on keypad to the right will erase part of a number sequence I've already put in and replace it with "8-".
  3. The minus key will also show "8-". The 6 at top of keyboard will send the cursor right to search/address bar. I often use the "alt" key for letters with accents...but that is acting up as well.
  4. The keyboard is damaged then, or the ribbon cable below the keyboard sending the keypresses into the notebook is a bit loosened.

What model is the Aspire exactly, there are over 30+ models?
  5. The keyboard is damaged then, or the ribbon cable below the keyboard sending the keypresses into the notebook is a bit loosened.

6. blakwidowrsa said:
    The keyboard is damaged then, or the ribbon cable below the keyboard sending the keypresses into the notebook is a bit loosened.

Agreed.

Keyboards in laptops are extremely easy to replace and cheap. I would first check the connection (ribbon) then order a new one if that doesn't help. Any simple youtube video can show you where to take the screws out etc to replace them.
  7. Sometimes there aren't even screws. But be careful, occasionally the track-pad is also connected through the keyboard at awkward places ...
  8. Sometimes there aren't even screws. But be careful, occasionally the track-pad is also connected through the keyboard at awkward places ...
  9. Aspire 5736Z-4435

If Keyboard is damaged...I will bring it in to get repaired. Will not take the chance of damaging it even more.

Thanks for your help :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Computers Windows 7