Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Coolers

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 22, 2009 10:35:30 PM

Hi All,

Is there anyone that already owns a Dell XPS M1530, got absolutely sick of the ridiculous operating temperatures, and bought a laptop cooler? If so, what did you buy and are you happy with it? For those people who don't have an M1530, could you please recommend the cooler that will give me the greatest cooling, but I also want (if possible) the ergonomic design that lifts the back of the laptop to rise the screen height and make typing more comfortable. I also want to be able to use the laptop on my lap.

My M1530 gets very very hot. In fact, here is a screenshot of the temps it reached when I was playing Crysis. Take note of the MAX temps, as these are the temps that were experienced while I was playing the game. The current temps are more-or-less idling in windows afterwards (still cooling down).

Not pretty, and not comfortable for my hands sweating on the aluminium finish on top. I had the laptop flat on a hard surface (my desk) with these temps. I've lifted the back of it to try and get more airflow underneath, and I get a drop in temperatures of about 3-5C. Still not enough in my opinion.

If I can get something decent, cost doesn't particularly worry me. I would prefer silver in colour, but if the best is black, I'll have black. I want something that isn't too noisy generally (as I will use it all the time to raise the back of the laptop) but I don't care if it's noisy when I ramp the fan speed up for gaming. The design of the M1530 underneath looks like:

So you can see that the fan is situated up the back of the laptop. I noticed a few of the coolers had the fans/holes located towards the front, which I don't think would suit the M1530.

I've been looking for a few days now, but a lot of coolers just don't seem to cut it. I want the best, with a few things as I said above.

Your help would really be appreciated!

More about : laptop coolers

a b D Laptop
February 23, 2009 12:48:36 AM

A few of my friends have these notebooks. They do get pretty warm, yes, but there's nothing in those temps that isn't typical for most mainstream notebooks. They just aren't designed for heat.
February 23, 2009 3:12:56 AM

Hmmm... 96C seems pretty damn hot. But even so, if I can cool it a bit that would be nice. To sit it on my lap without it burning would be a major plus.
Related resources
February 24, 2009 11:36:31 AM

its too damn hot. but here's my fix
they have this blue rubber thermal pad, its useless remove it from the graphic card and the processor and replace it with normal thermal paste and apply more pressure on the processor. get yourself a 3 fan cooler board in addition
February 24, 2009 11:46:03 AM

cheaptofix said:
its too damn hot. but here's my fix
they have this blue rubber thermal pad, its useless remove it from the graphic card and the processor and replace it with normal thermal paste and apply more pressure on the processor. get yourself a 3 fan cooler board in addition

Only problem there is that I have a 3 year premium warranty with accidental damage cover. I'd hate to void all of that by doing this. I might get onto Dell again. I've spoken to them before, and they just told me to update BIOS and nVidia drivers.
!