Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • LCD
  • Resolution
  • CRT Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 26, 2006 4:54:48 PM

can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a CRT vs a LCD display?

I have a Dell TFT now and Im starting to get bothered by the fact that I cant have a higher resolution... and when I started looking at a new display I noticed that no 19" screen have a higher resolution that mine... is there a max on LCD's... why cant I have a lcd with 1600x1200?

More about : lcd crt

November 26, 2006 6:30:14 PM

One of the cons of an LCD is that you have to use it at its native resolution. Most 4:3 19 inch LCD's are 1280x1024. Using any other resolution will be ugly because the screen will always have 1280x1024 individual cells that light up, which means there would be lots of situations where it would try to draw a pixel somewhere in between cells. The pixel would then have its color split among adjacent cells, resulting in blurring. A CRT monitor can project a pixel anywhere.

I'm guessing you want 1600x1200 for games? Usually people don't have a problem with the resolution issue because the general concensus is that if you compare a CRT at 1600x1200 and a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 side by side, the LCD still looks more crisp and vivid.

Ghosting is no longer an issue, as most 2006 LCD's have responce times lower than 12ms. The biggest beef gamers have with LCD's is that there are currently no LCD's that support refresh rates higher than 85hz. In other words, LCD's can only change a pixel's color 85 times a second max. CRT's can easily go up to 120hz. Depending on what kind of gamer you are, you may or may not notice the difference.

LCD's have less accurate colors than a CRT. For example, white isn't really white, as it may have a blue or yellow hue to it. This really only matters to photo editors or graphics content creators.
November 26, 2006 10:01:08 PM

Quote:

I have a Dell TFT now and Im starting to get bothered by the fact that I cant have a higher resolution... and when I started looking at a new display I noticed that no 19" screen have a higher resolution that mine... is there a max on LCD's... why cant I have a lcd with 1600x1200?

For 1600x1200, you want UXGA display... found on certain LCDs at 20"-21".
November 27, 2006 3:43:10 AM

Quote:

CRT Con's

[*:D 4de04d0e0] Nobody makes CRTs anymore, so you have to buy refurbished or used or hunt around for a new CRT.
[*:D 4de04d0e0] CRTs flicker
[*:D 4de04d0e0] CRTs produce radiation (though you can get anti-radiation covers)

LCD Pro's

[*:D 4de04d0e0] Thin monitors look neat -- and I'm not referring to the picture quality.
[*:D 4de04d0e0] LCDs are now cheaper to buy than a similarly sized new CRT.
[*:D 4de04d0e0] LCDs are sharper due to the digital signal and the way pixels are handled
[*:D 4de04d0e0] LCDs do not flicker slowly and thus, theoritically may reduce eyestrain

LCD Cons:

[*:D 4de04d0e0] Matte finish LCDs are bad for image editing because the matte finish scatters light causing large areas of a single color to not look completely solid -- bad for image editing.
[*:D 4de04d0e0] If you go for the glossy finish, then these panels have a reputation for having issues with getting colors right though it doesn't appear to be that bad according to tests. Also a glossy finish supposedly reflects background light, and the reflection is supposedly not good for your eyes.
[*:D 4de04d0e0] All LCD monitors currently sold (no matter how low the response time) has blurring. CRT monitors have nearly 0 blurring in fast motion. Compared to a CRT, this is absolutely abysmal.
[*:D 4de04d0e0] LCD monitors look bad at the non-native resolution when using the desktop; though in games they look fine at non-native resolutions.
[*:D 4de04d0e0] LCD monitors have issues with viewing angles. Although many list a high viewing angle, the fact is that when you are image editing you need 0 variation in color to do things accurately; however, even slight angles on LCD monitors can cause a small shift in color (though it may not be a large shift that many other people would notice). This issue is present even in P-MVA panels; I do not know about S-IPS or PVA from experience.
[*:D 4de04d0e0] LCD monitors, even with a small pixel pitch still display a screen door effect that is noticeable from time to time.