IMDB database on palm

September 6, 2004 3:48:23 AM

A couple of years ago I saw an ebook reader (don't remember which)
which offered as one of its books the IMDB (Internet Movie Database)
that you could download into the palm.

At the time I had a palm III so I didn't have enough memory. My palm
III finally died once too often and I've upgraded to a Tungsten T3.
Now I have enough memory but I can't seem to find the product.

Does anyone know where I can find it?

More about : imdb database palm

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 1:00:18 PM

Ari wrote:
> A couple of years ago I saw an ebook reader (don't remember which)
> which offered as one of its books the IMDB (Internet Movie Database)
> that you could download into the palm.

That would be TomeRaider. http://www.tomeraider.com/

Regards
-Laurens
September 6, 2004 9:24:33 PM

Ari wrote:

> A couple of years ago I saw an ebook reader (don't remember which)
> which offered as one of its books the IMDB (Internet Movie Database)
> that you could download into the palm.
>
> At the time I had a palm III so I didn't have enough memory. My palm
> III finally died once too often and I've upgraded to a Tungsten T3.
> Now I have enough memory but I can't seem to find the product.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find it?

Try a search for imdb over at http://www.memoware.com

-Roger
September 6, 2004 11:09:02 PM

The old IMDB file could be out dated by now. Check Leonard Maltin 2005 Movie
Guide for Palm:
http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetai...

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"Ari" <unikoski@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A couple of years ago I saw an ebook reader (don't remember which)
> which offered as one of its books the IMDB (Internet Movie Database)
> that you could download into the palm.
>
> At the time I had a palm III so I didn't have enough memory. My palm
> III finally died once too often and I've upgraded to a Tungsten T3.
> Now I have enough memory but I can't seem to find the product.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find it?
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 1:03:03 AM

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:24:33 +0000, Roger wrote:

> Try a search for imdb over at http://www.memoware.com

An enormous license and copyright violation, to be sure.

I don't see that they have the legal right or license to
redistribute that content. IMDB is very clear on their
terms of redistribution.

See here for more info:

http://us.imdb.com/conditions

http://us.imdb.com/Licensing/
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 3:33:51 AM

Ari wrote:

> A couple of years ago I saw an ebook reader (don't remember which)
> which offered as one of its books the IMDB (Internet Movie Database)
> that you could download into the palm.

If you're looking for a movie guide, check out VideoHound + REX:

http://www.pocketsensei.com/videohound.htm

It's an electronic version of the popular "Videohound's Golden
Movie Retriever" paper book, and it has basically every US feature
film that has come out on VHS or DVD.

Disclaimer: I stand to gain indirectly if people buy this product.
However, I do think it's worth owning!

- Logan
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 8:44:08 AM

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:24:33 +0000, Roger wrote:
>

>>Try a search for imdb over at http://www.memoware.com
>

> An enormous license and copyright violation, to be sure.
>
> I don't see that they have the legal right or license to
> redistribute that content. IMDB is very clear on their
> terms of redistribution.

Perhaps its old information from years ago, back when IMDB was
more of a community thing. It's sort of a peeve of mine that
they let the community build their database for them and then
closed it up like they did, took away all the pictures, etc.,
etc.

Actually, based on the number of movies they have and the amount
of random information they have about each movie, I wonder how
you could even fit the IMDB data on a Palm. It's got to be
close to 100 MB of data, maybe even more. You could certainly
trim it down, but I'm curious to know what exactly the TomeRaider
version includes and what it leaves out.

- Logan
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 8:44:09 AM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:44:08 GMT, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>Actually, based on the number of movies they have and the amount
>of random information they have about each movie, I wonder how
>you could even fit the IMDB data on a Palm. It's got to be
>close to 100 MB of data, maybe even more. You could certainly
>trim it down, but I'm curious to know what exactly the TomeRaider
>version includes and what it leaves out.

I dunno, but I have Matthew Henry's complete (not concise) commentary
of the bible that I found in HTML format, which I let ISiloX chew on.
I've seen a number of printed movie guides, and they pale in
comparison in physical size to the Henry commentaries. In bound
volumes, the complete Henry commentaries ship in either six
encyclopedia-sized tomes with "average" sized print, or one very
large, 3 column per page volume. ISiloX crunched it down to 20mb,
complete with hyperlinks. I think the text to an exhaustive movie
guide should compress rather well.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 10:04:20 AM

David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:44:08 GMT, Logan Shaw
> <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> was understood to have stated the
> following:

>>I wonder how
>>you could even fit the IMDB data on a Palm. It's got to be
>>close to 100 MB of data, maybe even more. You could certainly
>>trim it down, but I'm curious to know what exactly the TomeRaider
>>version includes and what it leaves out.

> I've seen a number of printed movie guides, and they pale in
> comparison in physical size to the Henry commentaries.

> ISiloX crunched it down to 20mb,
> complete with hyperlinks. I think the text to an exhaustive movie
> guide should compress rather well.

I looked at amazon.com and found the Bible commentary you're
talking about. Thanks to Amazon's feature where you can "look
inside the book", I got an idea of the size of the type, and
it seems like it's 2500 pages (according to the amazon.com listing)
and pretty small type. In comparison, the VideoHound guide is
1577 pages (for the 2004 edition -- I don't have the paper 2005
yet, although the Palm version is up to 2005), and the size
of the type is maybe about the same.

So, if I had to guess based on all this, I'd say that Bible
commentary probably is about twice as much data as the
VideoHound movie guide, and that jibes with the fact that
the VideoHound's PDB is around 9 MB compared to the 20 MB file
you made for the commentary.

But anyway, the point is that if you look at a paper movie guide
and then go compare it to what you see on IMDB, the IMDB has a
lot of extra information in it. How much of it's USEFUL is
another question (a lot of it isn't, IMHO), but it's there.

By the way, when I said I wondered if you could even fit the
IMDB on a Palm, I was more wondering whether you could produce
a file of a size most people would find practical, as opposed
to wondering whether it's physically possible to fit it on
a Palm. Of course, you could go buy a 1 GB SD Card, and I'm
almost sure it'd fit on that...

- Logan
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:37:40 AM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in

> By the way, when I said I wondered if you could even fit
> the IMDB on a Palm, I was more wondering whether you could
> produce a file of a size most people would find practical,
> as opposed to wondering whether it's physically possible to
> fit it on a Palm. Of course, you could go buy a 1 GB SD
> Card, and I'm almost sure it'd fit on that...

HTML compresses pretty well, and using something like Plucker
with zlib compression you can get relatively small file sizes.
I don't know about this specific file, though.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 5:29:37 AM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 06:04:20 GMT, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:44:08 GMT, Logan Shaw
>> <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> was understood to have stated the
>> following:
>
>>>I wonder how
>>>you could even fit the IMDB data on a Palm. It's got to be
>>>close to 100 MB of data, maybe even more. You could certainly
>>>trim it down, but I'm curious to know what exactly the TomeRaider
>>>version includes and what it leaves out.
>
>> I've seen a number of printed movie guides, and they pale in
>> comparison in physical size to the Henry commentaries.
>
>> ISiloX crunched it down to 20mb,
>> complete with hyperlinks. I think the text to an exhaustive movie
>> guide should compress rather well.
>
>I looked at amazon.com and found the Bible commentary you're
>talking about. Thanks to Amazon's feature where you can "look
>inside the book", I got an idea of the size of the type, and
>it seems like it's 2500 pages (according to the amazon.com listing)
>and pretty small type. In comparison, the VideoHound guide is
>1577 pages (for the 2004 edition -- I don't have the paper 2005
>yet, although the Palm version is up to 2005), and the size
>of the type is maybe about the same.
>
>So, if I had to guess based on all this, I'd say that Bible
>commentary probably is about twice as much data as the
>VideoHound movie guide, and that jibes with the fact that
>the VideoHound's PDB is around 9 MB compared to the 20 MB file
>you made for the commentary.
>
>But anyway, the point is that if you look at a paper movie guide
>and then go compare it to what you see on IMDB, the IMDB has a
>lot of extra information in it. How much of it's USEFUL is
>another question (a lot of it isn't, IMHO), but it's there.
>
>By the way, when I said I wondered if you could even fit the
>IMDB on a Palm, I was more wondering whether you could produce
>a file of a size most people would find practical, as opposed
>to wondering whether it's physically possible to fit it on
>a Palm. Of course, you could go buy a 1 GB SD Card, and I'm
>almost sure it'd fit on that...

Information well received. I certainly did not consider how much more
information would be available via imdb vs. the printed guides you
find laying around; I'm sure the information available via imdb is
*much* larger than is available in the printed guide(s), and I agree
that it's questionable how useful some of that extra information is.
But, given the 20mb that the largest single-volume text I've ever seen
can compress to, I believe that it's a reasonable expectation to
assume that a full copy of the imdb.com would probably fit on a 256mb
card.

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Wash Away Those Years-Creed-Human Clay
This is track 1 of 1023 in the current playlist.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:29:37 -0400, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> believe that it's a reasonable expectation to assume that a full copy of
> the imdb.com would probably fit on a 256mb card.

I doubt it. The full IMDB (and I have a copy of their entire text-based
data here) + images, is well over 1GB in size, uncompressed. Add to that
the fact that you'd want cross-references, zoomable images, etc. in the
final output, and you can see that this could get very very large.

I'd guess that IMDB, in full with images + cross-references, would be
about 600MB after it was all compressed and structured properly.. on the
Palm itself.
!