Retail XP Pro - Beware of Rebate Requirements

I recently purchased a retail copy of XP Pro at a major computer retail
store because it was offered with a substantial rebate.

When I got around to filling out the rebate form, I noticed that one of the
requirements was that you include the original UPC code (no copies accepted)
from the retail box. This is a normal requirement for many rebates.

The problem is, that with the retail-boxed version of Microsoft Windows, the
UPC sticker on the box is also the Certificate of Authenticity! In other
words, in order to be eligible for the rebate, I was being required to
relinquish my COA.! I think that is totally unfair, especially considering
that another requirement is the cash register receipt, which is
more-than-adequate proof of purchase due to the fact that the details of the
purchase are also stored in their database. Any subsequent returns of the
product are also linked to the original data, thus preventing someone from
claiming a rebate on a returned product.

Well, I raised hell with the retailer, and they finally agreed to honor the
rebate if I provided a photocopy of the COA. I wonder what the company
does with all the COAs they receive from customers who don't realize they
are giving away their proof of authenticity.

Also, I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this practice. Come to think of it,
I suppose it would actually be to their benefit to have all those copies of
XP Pro stripped of their COAs. For one thing, it's a lot harder to sell XP
on eBay without a COA. I know I wouldn't take a chance buying a
supposedly-legitimate, used, retail copy of XP without it.

So, if you find yourself in this situation, contact the retailer and read
'em the riot act.

M.B.
7 answers Last reply
More about retail beware rebate requirements

    Marianne;
    Do not confuse the sticker on the box that says Certificate Of Authenticity
    with the Product Key on the CD envelope.
    The COA on the box serves no purpose after purchase and you lose nothing if
    you do not keep it.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Marianne B." <anonymous@foobar.com> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a retail copy of XP Pro at a major computer retail
    > store because it was offered with a substantial rebate.
    >
    > When I got around to filling out the rebate form, I noticed that one of
    > the
    > requirements was that you include the original UPC code (no copies
    > accepted)
    > from the retail box. This is a normal requirement for many rebates.
    >
    > The problem is, that with the retail-boxed version of Microsoft Windows,
    > the
    > UPC sticker on the box is also the Certificate of Authenticity! In other
    > words, in order to be eligible for the rebate, I was being required to
    > relinquish my COA.! I think that is totally unfair, especially
    > considering
    > that another requirement is the cash register receipt, which is
    > more-than-adequate proof of purchase due to the fact that the details of
    > the
    > purchase are also stored in their database. Any subsequent returns of the
    > product are also linked to the original data, thus preventing someone from
    > claiming a rebate on a returned product.
    >
    > Well, I raised hell with the retailer, and they finally agreed to honor
    > the
    > rebate if I provided a photocopy of the COA. I wonder what the company
    > does with all the COAs they receive from customers who don't realize they
    > are giving away their proof of authenticity.
    >
    > Also, I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this practice. Come to think of
    > it,
    > I suppose it would actually be to their benefit to have all those copies
    > of
    > XP Pro stripped of their COAs. For one thing, it's a lot harder to sell
    > XP
    > on eBay without a COA. I know I wouldn't take a chance buying a
    > supposedly-legitimate, used, retail copy of XP without it.
    >
    > So, if you find yourself in this situation, contact the retailer and read
    > 'em the riot act.
    >
    > M.B.

    Thanks for the reply.

    I understand the difference. However, it is my understanding that the COA
    is an intrinsic part of the license to the software. Correct me if I am
    wrong, but I believe that one of Microsoft's requirements for resale of the
    software is that the seller provide the buyer with the original COA.

    If the software is sold to another party, it is the party in possession of
    the COA that has true possession of the license. Someone could sell a
    disk and provide the Product Key, but keep the COA and continue to use
    the key. If an activation battle ensued, I believe the holder of the COA
    would win unless, of course, the buyer could prove fraud on the part of
    the seller.

    M.B.

    > Marianne;
    > Do not confuse the sticker on the box that says Certificate Of
    > Authenticity with the Product Key on the CD envelope.
    > The COA on the box serves no purpose after purchase and you lose nothing
    > if you do not keep it.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Marianne B." <anonymous@foobar.com> wrote in message
    > > I recently purchased a retail copy of XP Pro at a major computer
    > > retail store because it was offered with a substantial rebate.
    > >
    > > When I got around to filling out the rebate form, I noticed that one of
    > > the requirements was that you include the original UPC code (no
    > > copies accepted) from the retail box. This is a normal requirement
    > > for many rebates.
    > >
    > > The problem is, that with the retail-boxed version of Microsoft Windows,
    > > the UPC sticker on the box is also the Certificate of Authenticity! In
    > > other words, in order to be eligible for the rebate, I was being
    > > required to relinquish my COA.! I think that is totally unfair,
    > > especially considering that another requirement is the cash register
    > > receipt, which is more-than-adequate proof of purchase due to the fact
    > > that the details of the purchase are also stored in their database. Any
    > > subsequent returns of the product are also linked to the original data,
    > > thus preventing someone from claiming a rebate on a returned product.
    > >
    > > Well, I raised hell with the retailer, and they finally agreed to honor
    > > the rebate if I provided a photocopy of the COA. I wonder what the
    > > company does with all the COAs they receive from customers who
    > > don't realize they are giving away their proof of authenticity.
    > >
    > > Also, I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this practice. Come to think of
    > > it, I suppose it would actually be to their benefit to have all those
    > > copies of XP Pro stripped of their COAs. For one thing, it's a lot
    > > harder to sell XP on eBay without a COA. I know I wouldn't take a
    > > chance buying a supposedly-legitimate, used, retail copy of XP without
    > > it.
    > >
    > > So, if you find yourself in this situation, contact the retailer and
    > > read 'em the riot act.
    > >
    > > M.B.

    Please tell what store.

    some support

    "Marianne B." <anonymous@foobar.com> wrote in message
    |I recently purchased a retail copy of XP Pro at a major
    computer retail
    | store because it was offered with a substantial rebate.
    |
    | When I got around to filling out the rebate form, I
    noticed that one of the
    | requirements was that you include the original UPC code
    (no copies accepted)
    | from the retail box. This is a normal requirement for
    many rebates.

    | The problem is, that with the retail-boxed version of
    Microsoft Windows, the
    | UPC sticker on the box is also the Certificate of
    Authenticity! In other
    | words, in order to be eligible for the rebate, I was being
    required to
    | relinquish my COA.! I think that is totally unfair,
    especially considering
    | that another requirement is the cash register receipt,
    which is
    | more-than-adequate proof of purchase due to the fact that
    the details of the
    | purchase are also stored in their database. Any
    subsequent returns of the
    | product are also linked to the original data, thus
    preventing someone from
    | claiming a rebate on a returned product.
    |
    | Well, I raised hell with the retailer, and they finally
    agreed to honor the
    | rebate if I provided a photocopy of the COA. I wonder
    what the company
    | does with all the COAs they receive from customers who
    don't realize they
    | are giving away their proof of authenticity.
    |
    | Also, I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this practice.
    Come to think of it,
    | I suppose it would actually be to their benefit to have
    all those copies of
    | XP Pro stripped of their COAs. For one thing, it's a lot
    harder to sell XP
    | on eBay without a COA. I know I wouldn't take a chance
    buying a
    | supposedly-legitimate, used, retail copy of XP without it.
    |
    | So, if you find yourself in this situation, contact the
    retailer and read
    | 'em the riot act.
    |
    | M.B.

    That is some really paranoid ranting. I think that the problem lies in your
    mind and not in the system. I recommend some hot tea and a chill pill.

    De-complexify your existence by ignoring the insignificant.

    No offense. I was just observing.

> [...]
    > > > thus preventing someone from claiming a rebate on a returned product.
    > > >
    > > > Well, I raised hell with the retailer, and they finally agreed to
    honor
    > > > the rebate if I provided a photocopy of the COA. I wonder what the
    > > > company does with all the COAs they receive from customers who
    > > > don't realize they are giving away their proof of authenticity.
    > > >
    > > > Also, I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this practice. Come to think
    of
    > > > it, I suppose it would actually be to their benefit to have all those
    > > > copies of XP Pro stripped of their COAs. For one thing, it's a lot
    > > > harder to sell XP on eBay without a COA. I know I wouldn't take a
    > > > chance buying a supposedly-legitimate, used, retail copy of XP without
    > > > it.
    > > >
    > > > So, if you find yourself in this situation, contact the retailer and

    Marianne B. is right to be upset about the way rebates are
    offered. The hoops required to "qualify" for the rebate,
    which is often a prime reason for the choice of the purchase
    item and location, is overly complex. You have to print
    copies of the correct label, cut the box up, which makes
    storing the purchased software less secure if you want to
    save the box, and then you must trust that the half dozen
    bits and piece you send it will be the correct bits and the
    rebate will be sent. They don't write you back and ask for
    the "other cash register receipt" they just trash can the
    whole package.
    Some companies (BestBuy) print two cash register receipts, a
    primary and a rebate copy. OFFICE MAX has recently changed
    their procedure, you formerly had to use a booklet and find
    the special rebate form.

    In the case of MS, they should have a UPC label on the box
    and the COA which is intended to be attached to the
    computer. The PK can be retained in any form, since you
    type it in when required. I write my PKs on the CD with a
    safe marker.

    some support

    "news.microsoft.com" <derekthestud@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:umkTlkkfFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    wrote in message
    | > > Marianne;
    | > > Do not confuse the sticker on the box that says
    Certificate Of
    | > > Authenticity with the Product Key on the CD envelope.
    | > > The COA on the box serves no purpose after purchase
    and you lose nothing
    | > > if you do not keep it.
    | > >
    | > > --
    | > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    | > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    | > > http://www.dts-l.org
    | > >

    | > > "Marianne B." <anonymous@foobar.com> wrote in message
    substantial rebate.

    | of
    UPC code (no
    normal requirement

    | Windows,
    | In
    rebate, I was being
    totally unfair,
    purchase due to the fact
    | Any
    | data,

    finally agreed to
    | honor

    practice. Come to think
    | of

    I didn't mention the name in my post because they did finally
    honor the rebate without my having to supply the original COA.
    But, since you asked, it's CompUSA. They recently got a big
    judgment against them for rebate-related problems, so I think
    they're probably being extra sensitive to complaints. OTOH, I
    did notice that they haven't changed the requirement on
    subsequent XP Pro rebate offers.

    M.B.

    > Please tell what store.
    >
    > "Marianne B." <anonymous@foobar.com> wrote in message
    > | I recently purchased a retail copy of XP Pro at a major
    > | computer retail
    > | store because it was offered with a substantial rebate.
    > |
    > | When I got around to filling out the rebate form, I
    > | noticed that one of the
    > | requirements was that you include the original UPC code
    > | (no copies accepted)
    > | from the retail box. This is a normal requirement for
    > | many rebates.
    > |
    > | The problem is, that with the retail-boxed version of
    > | Microsoft Windows, the
    > | UPC sticker on the box is also the Certificate of
    > | Authenticity! In other
    > | words, in order to be eligible for the rebate, I was being
    > | required to
    > | relinquish my COA.! I think that is totally unfair,
    > | especially considering
    > | that another requirement is the cash register receipt,
    > | which is
    > | more-than-adequate proof of purchase due to the fact that
    > | the details of the
    > | purchase are also stored in their database. Any
    > | subsequent returns of the
    > | product are also linked to the original data, thus
    > | preventing someone from
    > | claiming a rebate on a returned product.
    > |
    > | Well, I raised hell with the retailer, and they finally
    > | agreed to honor the
    > | rebate if I provided a photocopy of the COA. I wonder
    > | what the company
    > | does with all the COAs they receive from customers who
    > | don't realize they
    > | are giving away their proof of authenticity.
    > |
    > | Also, I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this practice.
    > | Come to think of it,
    > | I suppose it would actually be to their benefit to have
    > | all those copies of
    > | XP Pro stripped of their COAs. For one thing, it's a lot
    > | harder to sell XP
    > | on eBay without a COA. I know I wouldn't take a chance
    > | buying a
    > | supposedly-legitimate, used, retail copy of XP without it.
    > |
    > | So, if you find yourself in this situation, contact the
    > | retailer and read 'em the riot act.
    > |
    > | M.B.

    Thanks, I have purchased things from CompUSA before and
    their rebate system is pretty difficult. Rebates should be
    easy.

    Thanks again. I will be sure to check and complain BEFORE a
    purchase since that may be the best way to get a change
    done, when my cash is not yet in their hands.

    some support

    |I didn't mention the name in my post because they did
    finally
    | honor the rebate without my having to supply the original
    COA.
    | But, since you asked, it's CompUSA. They recently got a
    big
    | judgment against them for rebate-related problems, so I
    think
    | they're probably being extra sensitive to complaints.
    OTOH, I
    | did notice that they haven't changed the requirement on
    | subsequent XP Pro rebate offers.
    |
    | M.B.

    in message
    | > Please tell what store.
    | >
    | > "Marianne B." <anonymous@foobar.com> wrote in message
    | > | I recently purchased a retail copy of XP Pro at a
    major
    | > | computer retail
    | > | store because it was offered with a substantial
    rebate.
    | > |
    | > | When I got around to filling out the rebate form, I
    | > | noticed that one of the
    | > | requirements was that you include the original UPC
    code
    | > | (no copies accepted)
    | > | from the retail box. This is a normal requirement for
    | > | many rebates.
    | > |
    | > | The problem is, that with the retail-boxed version of
    | > | Microsoft Windows, the
    | > | UPC sticker on the box is also the Certificate of
    | > | Authenticity! In other
    | > | words, in order to be eligible for the rebate, I was
    being
    | > | required to
    | > | relinquish my COA.! I think that is totally unfair,
    | > | especially considering
    | > | that another requirement is the cash register receipt,
    | > | which is
    | > | more-than-adequate proof of purchase due to the fact
    that
    | > | the details of the
    | > | purchase are also stored in their database. Any
    | > | subsequent returns of the
    | > | product are also linked to the original data, thus
    | > | preventing someone from
    | > | claiming a rebate on a returned product.
    | > |
    | > | Well, I raised hell with the retailer, and they
    finally
    | > | agreed to honor the
    | > | rebate if I provided a photocopy of the COA. I wonder
    | > | what the company
    | > | does with all the COAs they receive from customers who
    | > | don't realize they
    | > | are giving away their proof of authenticity.
    | > |
    | > | Also, I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this practice.
    | > | Come to think of it,
    | > | I suppose it would actually be to their benefit to
    have
    | > | all those copies of
    | > | XP Pro stripped of their COAs. For one thing, it's a
    lot
    | > | harder to sell XP
    | > | on eBay without a COA. I know I wouldn't take a
    chance
    | > | buying a
    | > | supposedly-legitimate, used, retail copy of XP without
    it.
    | > |
    | > | So, if you find yourself in this situation, contact
    the
    | > | retailer and read 'em the riot act.
    | > |
    | > | M.B.