Sign in with
Your question

Externally Enclosed Hard Drive Speed

Last response: in Storage
July 19, 2004 6:35:34 AM

Are Externally-enclosed Hard Drives as fast as a normal IDE direct hook-up when connected through USB 2.0/Firewire? I am currently looking at connecting a WesternDigital IDE hard drive to a laptop through an enclosure and USB 2.0/Firewire.

Will I be able to achieve the same level of performance through the laptop as I did when it was directly connected as a secondary IDE drive on the desktop?

Thanks.
July 19, 2004 9:31:35 AM

yer laptop won't be abel to keep up with firewire external. USB slower than firewire, but still faster than any laptop can provide (just for the info)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
July 20, 2004 6:45:52 AM

Firewire 800 is 800megabit. USB2.0 is 480megabit. Previous Firewire versions were most recently 400megabit.

800megabit is 100 megabytes/s
480megabit is 60 megabytes/s
400megabit is 50 megabytes/s

Compare that to ATA133/100.

Most relatively fast drives are good for a little less than 70MB/s max transfer from the disk. So USB2.0/Firewire isn't a HUGE bottleneck, but a minor one.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
July 20, 2004 7:03:17 AM

Dude, I do respect your preHistorical existance here, but we are talking LAPTOP HD here. There will be no bottelneck, and Firewire IS faster than USB no matter what the speks say.

July 20, 2004 9:07:41 AM

No dude, I think you're reading it wrong. I believe he's asking if a DESKTOP drive will be nearly as fast in an EXTERNAL ENCLOSURE as it was in the DESKTOP he took it from. The fact that he's connecting that enclosure to a laptop is throwing you off.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 20, 2004 1:50:08 PM

""I am currently looking at <b>connecting</b> a WesternDigital IDE hard drive <b>to a laptop</b> through an enclosure and USB 2.0/Firewire.

Will I be able to achieve the <b>same level</b> of performance <b>through the laptop</b> as I did when it was directly connected as a secondary IDE drive on the desktop?""

I said the laptop will NOT be abel to supply data as fast as external enclosure can handle. So there is no worry about external enclosure being slower (or faster, if that matters) performing inside of the enclosure than it used to be inside of the desktop.

July 21, 2004 3:59:08 AM

Actually, the onboard controller is...onboard, Firewire 400 and USB 2.0 should be at full speed on his laptop just as they would be on a desktop board. So the question is, will it get the same performance as when it was connected internally to a desktop, and the answer is no, but it's just as much a limit of the interface as it is the laptops slower hard drive that it's sending to/from. And a further definition of how much less the performance would be is, little to moderately decreased performance.

July 21, 2004 5:42:06 AM

hahaha, dude you make my life more enjoable, lol, isn't it what I was talking about? gg

BIG PS: PC to firewire is faster than IDE direct connect, so he'll GAIN speed even if he'll connect that external to the PC (you can argue as much as you want, you wont break my will;)

July 21, 2004 6:54:48 AM

No, IDE is at fastest ATA133, 133MB/s. Firewire is at fastest 800 megabit, ie, 100MB/s. And standard firewire is 400 megait, ie 50MB/s. So standard firewire is slower than today's IDE drives, and the chances of him having 800 Firewire are slim to nill.

July 21, 2004 8:09:04 AM

hehehe, man, don't you sleep sometimes?

DDR vs SDR.. megahertz wize P4 1.6A is faster than Athlon 1.1, AMD 64 2800+ is slower than P4E 2.8, USB2 480mb is faster than Firewire 400mb,.. but when you look in reality.. hm? interesting, why is that? Isn't it suppose to be "according to the book"?.. go get a nap, dude, I think it will help you think straighter (reality based rather than numbers) when you'll wake up.

July 21, 2004 8:46:53 AM

Nah, the last time I had a performance issue with any IDE bus was when I was using an ATA66 7200RPM drive on a UDMA33 motherboard. I added an ATA100 card and got rid of that problem. I've used Firewire enclosures with VERY fast drives inside and still got only around 35MB/s out of the available 50MB/s.

July 21, 2004 9:54:46 AM

take an .avi (or any amount of folders/files} file and copy it into those two targets, then tell me how much "slower" firewire eccepts it, you'll be surprized.

<A HREF="http://www.cwol.com/firewire/firewire-vs-usb.htm" target="_new">PS:</A> just for fun of reading.

<A HREF="http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/02/12/24/..." target="_new">PSS:</A> I am gonna go to get some quiet time for my brain cells, have fun with numbers, lol-

<A HREF="http://www.g4techtv.com/feature.aspx?article_key=39129" target="_new">PSSS:</A> don't you EVER sleep?

!