Help with SoundBlaster live! 5.1 Digital

i30i3i3y

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
I just bought a SoundBlaster 5.1 Digital. The onboard sound i had (MSI MS6585 board) played stereo content through all 5 speakers. The only reason I got a soundcard was because the when using the onboard for 6 channel output i can't use a mic or a line in for my tv tuner card.

If my onboard could play through all 5 speakers surely the SoundBlaster can. It only plays through 4 speaker (doesn't play through centre). When I do a speaker test all the speakers are working fine.

I understand creative use something called CMSS. I can't figure out how to use it or where the options for it are (i know, big time n00b). If someone could just walk me through it i'd appreciate it.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
The CMMS settings can be found in the EAX Console <i><b>IF</b></i> you have installed the additional software that comes with the sound card (look in Start>All Programs>Creative). Not just the drivers, but the extra stuff.

The CMMS setting is used to simulate surround sound when playing from a source that is simple 2 channel stereo (but it degrades quality, the CMSS2 setting is better but still not as clean as an unprocessed signal). I don't know why your center channel doesn't work (I assume you were trying to play back something with sound recorded in 5.1 or better format).

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis