Outlook Express mail account info

Is there any way of recovering OE 6 mail account info from a crashed hard disk?
I have already managed to recover emails and address book using recovery
software but not sure where to look for account info.

Regards.
6 answers Last reply
More about outlook express mail account info

    Could you elaborate on Account info ? - Are you speaking about
    the actual account setup data, such as Username, Servers and the
    like ? From your description, it sounds like you've recovered .dbx
    (Storage folders) and the Address Book (.wab). Account data is
    referred to as an Identity. Most times an account setup isn't very
    difficult to replicate, as long as you remember passwords and ISP's
    have web pages that detail how to setup OE 6 for use with their
    mail servers.

    "Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way of recovering OE 6 mail account info from a crashed hard
    > disk?
    > I have already managed to recover emails and address book using recovery
    > software but not sure where to look for account info.
    >
    > Regards.

    Hi,

    Yes it was the server data, account name and password.
    Unfortunately the user is not very computer literate and it would have been
    nice to give him back a PC that he could plug in and use.

    Gordon

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Could you elaborate on Account info ? - Are you speaking about
    > the actual account setup data, such as Username, Servers and the
    > like ? From your description, it sounds like you've recovered .dbx
    > (Storage folders) and the Address Book (.wab). Account data is
    > referred to as an Identity. Most times an account setup isn't very
    > difficult to replicate, as long as you remember passwords and ISP's
    > have web pages that detail how to setup OE 6 for use with their
    > mail servers.
    >
    > "Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any way of recovering OE 6 mail account info from a crashed hard
    > > disk?
    > > I have already managed to recover emails and address book using recovery
    > > software but not sure where to look for account info.
    > >
    > > Regards.

    I understand your situation. I'm not aware of a module in XP
    that contains the Identity, believe it's all stored in the Registry.
    You might visit InsideOE and see if there are any FAQ/Notes
    that could help:
    http://insideoe.com/

    > Hi,
    >
    > Yes it was the server data, account name and password.
    > Unfortunately the user is not very computer literate and it would have
    > been
    > nice to give him back a PC that he could plug in and use.
    >
    > Gordon
    >
    > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    >
    >> Could you elaborate on Account info ? - Are you speaking about
    >> the actual account setup data, such as Username, Servers and the
    >> like ? From your description, it sounds like you've recovered .dbx
    >> (Storage folders) and the Address Book (.wab). Account data is
    >> referred to as an Identity. Most times an account setup isn't very
    >> difficult to replicate, as long as you remember passwords and ISP's
    >> have web pages that detail how to setup OE 6 for use with their
    >> mail servers.
    >>
    >> "Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there any way of recovering OE 6 mail account info from a crashed
    >> > hard
    >> > disk?
    >> > I have already managed to recover emails and address book using
    >> > recovery
    >> > software but not sure where to look for account info.
    >> >
    >> > Regards.

    That information is stored in the Registry.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Yes it was the server data, account name and password.
    > Unfortunately the user is not very computer literate and it would have
    > been
    > nice to give him back a PC that he could plug in and use.
    >
    > Gordon
    >
    > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    >
    >> Could you elaborate on Account info ? - Are you speaking about
    >> the actual account setup data, such as Username, Servers and the
    >> like ? From your description, it sounds like you've recovered .dbx
    >> (Storage folders) and the Address Book (.wab). Account data is
    >> referred to as an Identity. Most times an account setup isn't very
    >> difficult to replicate, as long as you remember passwords and ISP's
    >> have web pages that detail how to setup OE 6 for use with their
    >> mail servers.
    >>
    >> "Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there any way of recovering OE 6 mail account info from a crashed
    >> > hard
    >> > disk?
    >> > I have already managed to recover emails and address book using
    >> > recovery
    >> > software but not sure where to look for account info.
    >> >
    >> > Regards.

    Look for files with the extention .iaf

    --

    "Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way of recovering OE 6 mail account info from a crashed hard
    > disk?
    > I have already managed to recover emails and address book using recovery
    > software but not sure where to look for account info.
    >
    > Regards.

    Unfortunately my recover software wont pick up any .iaf files so looks like I
    will have to recreate the accounts.
    Thanks
    Gordon

    "Newport" wrote:

    > Look for files with the extention .iaf
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any way of recovering OE 6 mail account info from a crashed hard
    > > disk?
    > > I have already managed to recover emails and address book using recovery
    > > software but not sure where to look for account info.
    > >
    > > Regards.

Outlook Express Microsoft Windows XP