Option to share a hard drive greyed out?

I have a home LAN of two computers, both running XP Home. I right clicked on
one of their drive c's, selected the security tab and made the contents of
the drive viewable and editable by the other machine. But I cannot do this on
the other machine, as the options are greyed out.

So effectively my filesharing only works one way. Can anyone help? I'm
logged in in the same name on both machines (the admin account and the only
account on both machines). It has been suggested that I try it in safe mode,
but when I try to boot to safe mode, Windows resarts with no warning while

TIA for any help... JTH

"JTH" <JTH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a home LAN of two computers, both running XP Home. I right clicked
on
> one of their drive c's, selected the security tab and made the contents of
> the drive viewable and editable by the other machine. But I cannot do this
on
> the other machine, as the options are greyed out.
>
> So effectively my filesharing only works one way. Can anyone help? I'm
> logged in in the same name on both machines (the admin account and the
only
> account on both machines). It has been suggested that I try it in safe
mode,
> but when I try to boot to safe mode, Windows resarts with no warning while

Chech the status of "simple file sharing" on both machines...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

You will need to be logged in as an administrator.

"CWatters" wrote:

> "JTH" <JTH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a home LAN of two computers, both running XP Home. I right clicked
> on
> > one of their drive c's, selected the security tab and made the contents of
> > the drive viewable and editable by the other machine. But I cannot do this
> on
> > the other machine, as the options are greyed out.
> >
> > So effectively my filesharing only works one way. Can anyone help? I'm
> > logged in in the same name on both machines (the admin account and the
> only
> > account on both machines). It has been suggested that I try it in safe
> mode,
> > but when I try to boot to safe mode, Windows resarts with no warning while
>
> Chech the status of "simple file sharing" on both machines...

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
>
> You will need to be logged in as an administrator.

I am using Win XP Home, which doesn't have an option for simple file sharing
(it is turned on by default). Can anyone help?

Malke

JTH wrote:

> "CWatters" wrote:
>

>> "JTH" <JTH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a home LAN of two computers, both running XP Home. I right
>> > clicked
>> on
>> > one of their drive c's, selected the security tab and made the
>> > contents of the drive viewable and editable by the other machine.
>> > But I cannot do this
>> on
>> > the other machine, as the options are greyed out.
>> >
>> > So effectively my filesharing only works one way. Can anyone help?
>> > I'm logged in in the same name on both machines (the admin account
>> > and the
>> only
>> > account on both machines). It has been suggested that I try it in
>> > safe
>> mode,
>> > but when I try to boot to safe mode, Windows resarts with no
>> > warning while loading.
>>
>> Chech the status of "simple file sharing" on both machines...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

>> You will need to be logged in as an administrator.
>>

> I am using Win XP Home, which doesn't have an option for simple file
> sharing (it is turned on by default). Can anyone help?

1. Make sure all machines are 100% virus and malware-free. Post back if
you need help in determining this.

2. Run the Network Setup Wizard on the machine with which you are having
difficulties. Follow the instructions.

3. Make sure you do not have two firewalls active on the machine with
the problem.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Try this for me, go into Control Panel >> Network Connections >> Right-click
ur networking device (normally Local Area Network Connection, mine is that
except with a 4), make sure the general tab is selected. Now in the window
under where it says: This connection uses the following items:, look for
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and make sure it is ticked.
If it does not appear for some strange reason you should be able to hit
install and install the service

If it is selected then i'm not sure what it could be. Somebody mentioned
Firewall, but firewalls don't disable the option for sharing C:\ (well none
that I know)

Jayso

Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)