Closed

Stupid Question, How Do I lock My PC?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi All
This may sound stupid, but how do I look my Sony Vaio running Windows XP?
Normally, you press alt+ctrl+del at the same time, and you get the
option...But for some reason, not on this PC, even though I am the
owner/administrator. Here is what my help file says:
1.. Press the following keys simultaneously: CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
The Windows Security window appears.

2.. Click the Lock Computer button.
Windows displays the Computer Locked dialog box.
Your system is now locked, preventing everyone except you or a system
administrator from unlocking your system and viewing any open files or
programs

The only problem is, the Lock Computer button is nowhere to be seen!

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about stupid question lock

    is your account password protected ? if not locking will not be effective,
    the easiest way to lock your pc is windows key and L
    --
    there are no problems, just challenges

    "george" wrote:

    > Hi All
    > This may sound stupid, but how do I look my Sony Vaio running Windows XP?
    > Normally, you press alt+ctrl+del at the same time, and you get the
    > option...But for some reason, not on this PC, even though I am the
    > owner/administrator. Here is what my help file says:
    > 1.. Press the following keys simultaneously: CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
    > The Windows Security window appears.
    >
    > 2.. Click the Lock Computer button.
    > Windows displays the Computer Locked dialog box.
    > Your system is now locked, preventing everyone except you or a system
    > administrator from unlocking your system and viewing any open files or
    > programs
    >
    > The only problem is, the Lock Computer button is nowhere to be seen!
    >
    > Any info appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    george wrote:
    > Hi All
    > This may sound stupid, but how do I look my Sony Vaio running Windows XP?
    > Normally, you press alt+ctrl+del at the same time, and you get the
    > option...But for some reason, not on this PC, even though I am the
    > owner/administrator. Here is what my help file says:
    > 1.. Press the following keys simultaneously: CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
    > The Windows Security window appears.
    >
    > 2.. Click the Lock Computer button.
    > Windows displays the Computer Locked dialog box.
    > Your system is now locked, preventing everyone except you or a system
    > administrator from unlocking your system and viewing any open files or
    > programs
    >
    > The only problem is, the Lock Computer button is nowhere to be seen!
    >
    > Any info appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    There at least 4 ways to lock a WinXP (Home or Pro) workstation:

    1) Use the Windows Key + L hot key.

    2) You can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then <ENTER>, once you've turned
    off the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. (This is the default
    in a domain environment, as FUS is contrary to the domain security
    paradigm.)

    3) You can create a desktop shortcut with
    "%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation" in the
    target field. (It is case-sensitive, BTW.) You can then assign a
    keyboard shortcut.

    4) Set a password protected screensaver, and wait the allotted time
    without touching the mouse or keyboard.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  3. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "george" <nospam@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > This may sound stupid, but how do I look my Sony Vaio running Windows XP?
    > Normally, you press alt+ctrl+del at the same time, and you get the
    > option...But for some reason, not on this PC, even though I am the
    > owner/administrator. Here is what my help file says:
    > 1.. Press the following keys simultaneously: CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
    > The Windows Security window appears.
    >
    > 2.. Click the Lock Computer button.
    > Windows displays the Computer Locked dialog box.
    > Your system is now locked, preventing everyone except you or a system
    > administrator from unlocking your system and viewing any open files or
    > programs
    >
    > The only problem is, the Lock Computer button is nowhere to be seen!

    If your accounts have passwords and you see the Windows Login Screen after
    Ctrl + Alt + Del, your computer is then locked. There is no Lock Computer
    button as far as I know. Do you usually have Novell Netware access or
    something?

    ss.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Synapse Syndrome" <paradroid2000@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "george" <nospam@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All
    >> This may sound stupid, but how do I look my Sony Vaio running Windows XP?
    >> Normally, you press alt+ctrl+del at the same time, and you get the
    >> option...But for some reason, not on this PC, even though I am the
    >> owner/administrator. Here is what my help file says:
    >> 1.. Press the following keys simultaneously: CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
    >> The Windows Security window appears.
    >>
    >> 2.. Click the Lock Computer button.
    >> Windows displays the Computer Locked dialog box.
    >> Your system is now locked, preventing everyone except you or a system
    >> administrator from unlocking your system and viewing any open files or
    >> programs
    >>
    >> The only problem is, the Lock Computer button is nowhere to be seen!
    >>

    > If your accounts have passwords and you see the Windows Login Screen after
    > Ctrl + Alt + Del, your computer is then locked. There is no Lock Computer
    > button as far as I know. Do you usually have Novell Netware access or
    > something?

    Sorry, wrong OS>

    ss.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:21:14 +0000 (UTC), "george"
    <nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Hi All
    >This may sound stupid, but how do I look my Sony Vaio running Windows XP?
    >Normally, you press alt+ctrl+del at the same time, and you get the
    >option...But for some reason, not on this PC, even though I am the
    >owner/administrator. Here is what my help file says:
    > 1.. Press the following keys simultaneously: CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
    > The Windows Security window appears.
    >
    > 2.. Click the Lock Computer button.
    > Windows displays the Computer Locked dialog box.
    > Your system is now locked, preventing everyone except you or a system
    >administrator from unlocking your system and viewing any open files or
    >programs
    >
    >The only problem is, the Lock Computer button is nowhere to be seen!

    "Windows"+L works for me
  6. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You probably have the welcome screen enabled. That's why those particular
    instructions aren't working.

    The easiest way to lock your work station is to use the Window-key+L

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "george" <nospam@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > This may sound stupid, but how do I look my Sony Vaio running Windows XP?
    > Normally, you press alt+ctrl+del at the same time, and you get the
    > option...But for some reason, not on this PC, even though I am the
    > owner/administrator. Here is what my help file says:
    > 1.. Press the following keys simultaneously: CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
    > The Windows Security window appears.
    >
    > 2.. Click the Lock Computer button.
    > Windows displays the Computer Locked dialog box.
    > Your system is now locked, preventing everyone except you or a system
    > administrator from unlocking your system and viewing any open files or
    > programs
    >
    > The only problem is, the Lock Computer button is nowhere to be seen!
    >
    > Any info appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

  7. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    george wrote:
    > Hi All
    > This may sound stupid, but how do I look my Sony Vaio running Windows XP?
    > Normally, you press alt+ctrl+del at the same time, and you get the
    > option...But for some reason, not on this PC, even though I am the
    > owner/administrator. Here is what my help file says:
    > 1.. Press the following keys simultaneously: CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
    > The Windows Security window appears.
    >
    > 2.. Click the Lock Computer button.
    > Windows displays the Computer Locked dialog box.
    > Your system is now locked, preventing everyone except you or a system
    > administrator from unlocking your system and viewing any open files or
    > programs
    >
    > The only problem is, the Lock Computer button is nowhere to be seen!
    >
    > Any info appreciated.

    1.

    If you have XP Pro, disable the welcome screen (Control Panel -> User
    Accounts -> Change the way...) for the instructions above to work.

    2.

    Start -> Run

    rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

    ENTER. Or create a shortcut with that command line to lock your PC from
    an icon.

    3.

    Winkey-L
  8. Most stupid reply I have ever seen... you should understand the situation before giving your expert comments....
  9. This topic has been closed by Aford10

Computers Windows XP