memory upgrade problems, PLEASE HELP.

July 1, 2005 9:35:01 AM

Hi, i realy need some help, myu compaq EN series won't accept my memory
upgrade, i don't know if it's compatible, iv tried to research it, but im
only new to computers, iv did research it and purchasewd what i thought was
the right module but now my PC will not accept it, if anyone can help i would
appriciate it.

my PC is a Compaq deskpro EN, with a three slot memory motherboard,
two of the slot are occupied

slot 1: 128MB non parity SDRAM PC133
slot 2: 64MB non parity SDRAM PC100

this brings the total memory to 192MB, and has been running purfect since i
bought the PC, but then i tried to upgrade with a

Slot 3: 256MB non ECC SDRAM PC133

bringing my PC to a total of 448MB of a Max 768MB, and my PC accept that
mudule when it is switched on (press F1 to accept new memory... or something
like that) .

but when the PC then tries to log it's self into windows XP pro it gives the
error screen:

the file "system32\DRIVERS\NTFS.sys" is missing or corrutp
load your windows CD then press "R" for repair

i dion't have a Windows CD (second hand PC), or a floppy disk Drive,
iv tried so many things over the last past few weeks... (yes WEEKS) but to
no avail, please, if antone can help me i would appriciate it so much,
for anymore info just ask,
Thanks,
Shamrock.
July 1, 2005 11:33:32 AM

Shamrock wrote:

> Hi, i realy need some help, myu compaq EN series won't accept my
> memory upgrade, i don't know if it's compatible, iv tried to research
> it, but im only new to computers, iv did research it and purchasewd
> what i thought was the right module but now my PC will not accept it,
> if anyone can help i would appriciate it.
>
> my PC is a Compaq deskpro EN, with a three slot memory motherboard,
> two of the slot are occupied

(snip)

Obviously the memory you bought is not compatible or you aren't putting
it in correctly or in the right combination. Compaqs are extremely
proprietary and fussy about memory. Suggestions:

1. Contact Compaq tech support. Make sure you read the manual that came
with your computer first. If you no longer have the manual, go to the
tech support website for your specific model Compaq and read about how
to upgrade your memory. If you think you already have the right memory,
then call tech support and find out what you are doing wrong.

2. If it turns out you didn't buy the right memory, go to
www.crucial.com and see if they have memory for your specific model
machine. Crucial has a memory wizard you should use. Or go to Compaq's
parts website and purchase the exact memory you need for your machine.

3. Take the machine to a local computer repair shop. Check on Compaq's
site first to see if there is an authorized Compaq dealer in your area.
It will usually be a big store like CompUSA. Normally I don't recommend
taking machines to stores like that for computer repair, but in your
case it would be the right choice.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Shamrock wrote:
> Hi, i realy need some help, myu compaq EN series won't accept my memory
> upgrade, i don't know if it's compatible, iv tried to research it, but im
> only new to computers, iv did research it and purchasewd what i thought was
> the right module but now my PC will not accept it, if anyone can help i would
> appriciate it.
>
> my PC is a Compaq deskpro EN, with a three slot memory motherboard,
> two of the slot are occupied
>
> slot 1: 128MB non parity SDRAM PC133
> slot 2: 64MB non parity SDRAM PC100
>
> this brings the total memory to 192MB, and has been running purfect since i
> bought the PC, but then i tried to upgrade with a
>
> Slot 3: 256MB non ECC SDRAM PC133
>
> bringing my PC to a total of 448MB of a Max 768MB, and my PC accept that
> mudule when it is switched on (press F1 to accept new memory... or something
> like that) .
>
> but when the PC then tries to log it's self into windows XP pro it gives the
> error screen:
>
> the file "system32\DRIVERS\NTFS.sys" is missing or corrutp
> load your windows CD then press "R" for repair
>
> i dion't have a Windows CD (second hand PC), or a floppy disk Drive,
> iv tried so many things over the last past few weeks... (yes WEEKS) but to
> no avail, please, if antone can help me i would appriciate it so much,
> for anymore info just ask,
> Thanks,
> Shamrock.

It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=swa...

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 1, 2005 1:15:47 PM

You may try to resequence the memory in the slots to verify that all are
properly working and compatible. Try only installing the new memory in Slot
1 and add the smaller chips next.

!