Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Asked the same question the gurps site, so thought I'd put it here as well.
What world/source books from other systems did you guys find interesting,
and worthy of translation to Hero? Anyone got any favourites or
suggestions?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:48:21 +0100, "Robert Duffy"
<duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote:

>Asked the same question the gurps site, so thought I'd put it here as well.
>What world/source books from other systems did you guys find interesting,
>and worthy of translation to Hero? Anyone got any favourites or
>suggestions?

While I thought GURPS Supers itself was poorly designed, several of
the NPC books for it had good ideas that were worth converting. A lot
of David Pulver's less crunch-intensive things like Reign of Steel
were worthwhile, too.

<duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote:

>Asked the same question the gurps site, so thought I'd put it here as well.
>What world/source books from other systems did you guys find interesting,
>and worthy of translation to Hero? Anyone got any favourites or
>suggestions?

The D & D 2nd ed. Chronomancer book and Book of Artifacts are fun
reads... although I don't care for running medieval fantasy in Hero,
you can certainly get some great ideas for ancient magical artifacts
to through in superhero campaigns, and a Chronomancer in modern day
would be absolutely LETHAL.

-----
"There'll be someone else sitting here for Comedy Central.
And that person... or woman... will have to face the fact
that this is the network built on... South Park."
- Craig Kilborn, The Daily Show

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:31:39 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:48:21 +0100, "Robert Duffy"
><duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote:
>
>>Asked the same question the gurps site, so thought I'd put it here as well.
>>What world/source books from other systems did you guys find interesting,
>>and worthy of translation to Hero? Anyone got any favourites or
>>suggestions?
>
>While I thought GURPS Supers itself was poorly designed, several of
>the NPC books for it had good ideas that were worth converting. A lot
>of David Pulver's less crunch-intensive things like Reign of Steel
>were worthwhile, too.

A couple of friends of mine have TONS of Gurps books... I swear they
have a supplement for every conceivable power level and setting you
can imagine. There's a Warehouse 23 or something of that nature
supplement which lists assorted weird, magical, deadly, etc. objects
you can find in a top secret government warehouse (ala Raiders of the
Lost Ark)

I used to have a web site to a game seller that had an online
Warehouse which was really fun...

http://www.warehouse23.com/basement/box/index.cgi?

Weird... you can't access the "basement" from the main Warehouse 23
site, but apparently all the pages are still there, as I had the
direct link bookmarked. Someone must have complained from SJ Games or
something. Pity.

-----
"There'll be someone else sitting here for Comedy Central.
And that person... or woman... will have to face the fact
that this is the network built on... South Park."
- Craig Kilborn, The Daily Show

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:31:39 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:48:21 +0100, "Robert Duffy"
><duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote:
>
>>Asked the same question the gurps site, so thought I'd put it here as well.
>>What world/source books from other systems did you guys find interesting,
>>and worthy of translation to Hero? Anyone got any favourites or
>>suggestions?
>
>While I thought GURPS Supers itself was poorly designed, several of
>the NPC books for it had good ideas that were worth converting. A lot
>of David Pulver's less crunch-intensive things like Reign of Steel
>were worthwhile, too.

I've enjoyed porting a good number of the characters over to my
campaign *in spirit*, but always had problems with whether a direct
conversion would be balanced (points or power level).

-- pseudosoldier

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:11:39 -0400, Pastor of Muppets
<powerslave11@SPAMSUXcomcast.net> wrote:

>A couple of friends of mine have TONS of Gurps books... I swear they
>have a supplement for every conceivable power level and setting you
>can imagine. There's a Warehouse 23 or something of that nature
>supplement which lists assorted weird, magical, deadly, etc. objects
>you can find in a top secret government warehouse (ala Raiders of the
>Lost Ark)

Written by the ingenious S. John Ross, this is one of my favorite
GURPS books. Ask for it by name (but not if *they* are listening...)

-- pseudosoldier

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:21:09 GMT, pseudosoldier@hotmail.com
(pseudosoldier) wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:31:39 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:48:21 +0100, "Robert Duffy"
>><duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Asked the same question the gurps site, so thought I'd put it here as well.
>>>What world/source books from other systems did you guys find interesting,
>>>and worthy of translation to Hero? Anyone got any favourites or
>>>suggestions?
>>
>>While I thought GURPS Supers itself was poorly designed, several of
>>the NPC books for it had good ideas that were worth converting. A lot
>>of David Pulver's less crunch-intensive things like Reign of Steel
>>were worthwhile, too.
>
>I've enjoyed porting a good number of the characters over to my
>campaign *in spirit*, but always had problems with whether a direct
>conversion would be balanced (points or power level).

Points won't, of course, but I didn't find any particular problems
with power level in any of the ones I ported; of course I didn't do
every single character.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <wewec.4130$qP2.11425@news.indigo.ie>,
Robert Duffy <duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote:
>Asked the same question the gurps site, so thought I'd put it here as well.
>What world/source books from other systems did you guys find interesting,
>and worthy of translation to Hero? Anyone got any favourites or
>suggestions?

When GURPS Fantasy for fourth edition comes out, that'd be a good one to
translate.

--
chuk

<powerslave11@SPAMSUXcomcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> I used to have a web site to a game seller that had an online
> Warehouse which was really fun...
>
> http://www.warehouse23.com/basement/box/index.cgi?
>
> Weird... you can't access the "basement" from the main Warehouse 23
> site, but apparently all the pages are still there, as I had the
> direct link bookmarked. Someone must have complained from SJ Games or
> something. Pity.

As the Warehouse23 on-line store is owned by SJGames (or Steve Jackson
- I'm not sure of the exact relationship) I find this last somewhat
unlikely.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:10:17 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> carved
upon a tablet of ether:

> >>While I thought GURPS Supers itself was poorly designed, several of
> >>the NPC books for it had good ideas that were worth converting. A lot
> >>of David Pulver's less crunch-intensive things like Reign of Steel
> >>were worthwhile, too.
> >
> >I've enjoyed porting a good number of the characters over to my
> >campaign *in spirit*, but always had problems with whether a direct
> >conversion would be balanced (points or power level).
>
> Points won't, of course, but I didn't find any particular problems
> with power level in any of the ones I ported; of course I didn't do
> every single character.

I found that characters in the 100-200 point range convert between
GURPS and Hero quite well, and their overall positive points value
often didn't change much. Of course, just where the points were often
changed a lot.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:18:42 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
<rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:10:17 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> carved
>upon a tablet of ether:

>> >I've enjoyed porting a good number of the characters over to my
>> >campaign *in spirit*, but always had problems with whether a direct
>> >conversion would be balanced (points or power level).
>>
>> Points won't, of course, but I didn't find any particular problems
>> with power level in any of the ones I ported; of course I didn't do
>> every single character.
>
>I found that characters in the 100-200 point range convert between
>GURPS and Hero quite well, and their overall positive points value
>often didn't change much. Of course, just where the points were often
>changed a lot.

That somewhat suprises me, but I suspect it depends how you ported
some damage and defense values. Bricks port particularly wierdly in
my experience.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:17:19 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> carved
upon a tablet of ether:

> >I found that characters in the 100-200 point range convert between
> >GURPS and Hero quite well, and their overall positive points value
> >often didn't change much. Of course, just where the points were often
> >changed a lot.
>
> That somewhat suprises me, but I suspect it depends how you ported
> some damage and defense values. Bricks port particularly wierdly in
> my experience.

That's a point. I can't recall how I ported them.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:30:10 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
<rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:17:19 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> carved
>upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> >I found that characters in the 100-200 point range convert between
>> >GURPS and Hero quite well, and their overall positive points value
>> >often didn't change much. Of course, just where the points were often
>> >changed a lot.
>>
>> That somewhat suprises me, but I suspect it depends how you ported
>> some damage and defense values. Bricks port particularly wierdly in
>> my experience.
>
>That's a point. I can't recall how I ported them.

Super-Strength is often the single ability the game system assumptions
will distort most from system to system, as how much lift you get
compared to your damage is one of those genre simulation questions
everybody seems to answer differently.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:38:12 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> carved
upon a tablet of ether:

> >That's a point. I can't recall how I ported them.
>
> Super-Strength is often the single ability the game system assumptions
> will distort most from system to system, as how much lift you get
> compared to your damage is one of those genre simulation questions
> everybody seems to answer differently.

I do remember that for strength my conversion notes were based on
damage, not lifting. I was porting from GURPS to Hero, and if I'd
based it on lifting I'd have got some pretty silly results.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:10:14 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
<rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:38:12 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> carved
>upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> >That's a point. I can't recall how I ported them.
>>
>> Super-Strength is often the single ability the game system assumptions
>> will distort most from system to system, as how much lift you get
>> compared to your damage is one of those genre simulation questions
>> everybody seems to answer differently.
>
>I do remember that for strength my conversion notes were based on
>damage, not lifting. I was porting from GURPS to Hero, and if I'd
>based it on lifting I'd have got some pretty silly results.

I don't see why, unless you made the mistake of not using 16- lifting.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:13:50 GMT, rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:10:14 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
><rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:38:12 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> carved
>>upon a tablet of ether:

>>> Super-Strength is often the single ability the game system assumptions
>>> will distort most from system to system, as how much lift you get
>>> compared to your damage is one of those genre simulation questions
>>> everybody seems to answer differently.
>>
>>I do remember that for strength my conversion notes were based on
>>damage, not lifting. I was porting from GURPS to Hero, and if I'd
>>based it on lifting I'd have got some pretty silly results.
>
>I don't see why, unless you made the mistake of not using 16- lifting.

Because in practice a supers damage output relative to setting is
usually more crucial in a game than his lift, unless the two systems
are _horrendously_ far apart.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:13:50 GMT, rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) carved upon a tablet of ether:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:10:14 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
> <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:38:12 GMT, Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> carved
> >upon a tablet of ether:

> >> Super-Strength is often the single ability the game system assumptions
> >> will distort most from system to system, as how much lift you get
> >> compared to your damage is one of those genre simulation questions
> >> everybody seems to answer differently.
> >
> >I do remember that for strength my conversion notes were based on
> >damage, not lifting. I was porting from GURPS to Hero, and if I'd
> >based it on lifting I'd have got some pretty silly results.
>
> I don't see why, unless you made the mistake of not using 16- lifting.

As in GURPS' rules for pushing lifting? Those are, IMO, b0rked.