I know, its an old story but here goes.

My buddy's computer was getting slower and slower so we decided to reformat
the hd and start over.

He is running XP and when we went to reinstall it, he couldn't find his xp
folder with the product key on it.

We almost tore his house apart, now luck. I later discovered that I could
have found the key in the registry is I had known but isn't hindsight
wonderful.

Here is the question: What is the quickest way of contacting MS and
getting the number for that CD. Because its registered and activated, I
assume they have it. a 1-800 number would really be appreciated.

thanks

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

RQ wrote:
> I know, its an old story but here goes.
>
> My buddy's computer was getting slower and slower so we decided to reformat
> the hd and start over.
>
> He is running XP and when we went to reinstall it, he couldn't find his xp
> folder with the product key on it.
>
> We almost tore his house apart, now luck. I later discovered that I could
> have found the key in the registry is I had known but isn't hindsight
> wonderful.
>
> Here is the question: What is the quickest way of contacting MS and
> getting the number for that CD. Because its registered and activated, I
> assume they have it. a 1-800 number would really be appreciated.
>
> thanks

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Microsoft won't or can't retrieve a Product Key. About your
only option is perhaps an Unformat. PQMagic and some other
disk management tools provide that capability. Chances of
success vary, depending on how much new data is written to
the drive.

In news:e5E%23Z1jfFHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
RQ <qurandc@shaw.ca> typed:

> I know, its an old story but here goes.
>
> My buddy's computer was getting slower and slower so we decided
> reformat the hd and start over.

That's almost always the wrong thing to do. Computers get slower
because something is wrong. What's wrong can almost always be
found and fixed, and it's generally much easier than the drastic
measure you took.

> He is running XP and when we went to reinstall it, he couldn't
> find
> his xp folder with the product key on it.
>
> We almost tore his house apart, now luck. I later discovered
> that I
> could have found the key in the registry is I had known but
> isn't
> hindsight wonderful.

No, you couldn't. The product key isn't readable anywhere in the
registry. It is retrievable, but you need a special program to do
it.

> Here is the question: What is the quickest way of contacting
> MS and
> getting the number for that CD. Because its registered and
> activated, I assume they have it. a 1-800 number would
> really be
> appreciated.

Is his a retail version or an OEM version? If it's retail, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

But if it's OEM, Microsoft won't help with it at all. You can try
the OEM he bought it from, but it's probably unlikely that they
can (or will) help. He'll probably need to buy a new copy.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Far more helpful than your "useless" reply....

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Steve N." wrote:

| Useless.
|
| Steve

Steve;
That link is only useless if not tried.
Many have reported getting replacement Product Key following the
instructions on that link.
That link even gives toll free numbers in North America and it appears the
OP is in North America.
What could be easier?
Why do you feel that link is useless when people have success with it?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

RQ wrote:

> I know, its an old story but here goes.
>
> My buddy's computer was getting slower and slower so we decided to reformat
> the hd and start over.

How did you format it?

> He is running XP and when we went to reinstall it, he couldn't find his xp
> folder with the product key on it.

Then I assume you ran the install and it copied files to the HDD. Too
bad. That lessens the chance of recovering data from a formatted drive.

> We almost tore his house apart, now luck. I later discovered that I could
> have found the key in the registry is I had known but isn't hindsight
> wonderful.

Hindsight indeed, but you wouldn't get it from the registry directly,
you'd get it using Belarc Advisor, Magic Jelly bean, or Everest Home
(among other tools).

> Here is the question: What is the quickest way of contacting MS and
> getting the number for that CD. Because its registered and activated, I
> assume they have it. a 1-800 number would really be appreciated.
>
> thanks

I wouldn't count on them having a record of it even if registered, but
here is a link for how to contact Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

Take your pick and good luck.

Steve

"RQ" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I know, its an old story but here goes.
>
> My buddy's computer was getting slower and slower so we decided to
> reformat the hd and start over.
>
> He is running XP and when we went to reinstall it, he couldn't find his xp
> folder with the product key on it.
>
> We almost tore his house apart, now luck. I later discovered that I
> could have found the key in the registry is I had known but isn't
> hindsight wonderful.
>
> Here is the question: What is the quickest way of contacting MS and
> getting the number for that CD. Because its registered and activated, I
> assume they have it. a 1-800 number would really be appreciated.
>
> thanks

Thanks to all of you who answered with advice on this problem.

UPdate: Phoned one of the 800 numbers in the US, was directed to an 800
number in Canada where after walking through the "if you want service in
English press 1" smuck and finally got to a guy to set up the following
procedure:

There is a product number on the CD so apparently they can get you the key.
So you fax or e-mail an image of the CD, proof of purchase and $15.00 + tax
and they will e-mail you the key.

Thanks again.

rq

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

> Steve;
> That link is only useless if not tried.
> Many have reported getting replacement Product Key following the
> instructions on that link.
> That link even gives toll free numbers in North America and it appears the
> OP is in North America.
> What could be easier?

Hmm, installing an OS that doesn't require activation or license keys?

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Steve;
> That link is only useless if not tried.
> Many have reported getting replacement Product Key following the
> instructions on that link.
> That link even gives toll free numbers in North America and it appears the
> OP is in North America.
> What could be easier?
> Why do you feel that link is useless when people have success with it?

I've never heard of MS replacing a lost product key or of anyone having
success contacting MS for that specific reason, in fact I've heard the
opposite, people being just SOL if they lose the key, but if it is true
then I am happily corrected.

Steve

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Far more helpful than your "useless" reply....

Perhaps if it is true as JJ said, then I stand corrected and I
apologize. At least my "useless" reply served the purpose of letting me
know you actually do read some of my replies to you, something I've had
my doubts about.

Cheers,
Steve

Ed

"NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Steve;
>> That link is only useless if not tried.
>> Many have reported getting replacement Product Key following the
>> instructions on that link.
>> That link even gives toll free numbers in North America and it appears
>> the
>> OP is in North America.
>> What could be easier?
>
> Hmm, installing an OS that doesn't require activation or license keys?

But the question isn't about which OS doesn't have an activation key.
Installing an OS which doesn't have them may not really help the OP at this
point. And you don't even suggest which OS would be suitable.

Steve;
Sometimes they are stuck and sometimes they have success.
Largely it depends on what they have saved.
Fortunately in this case. the OP was successful.

--

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:28:48 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Steve;
>> That link is only useless if not tried.
>> Many have reported getting replacement Product Key following the
>> instructions on that link.
>> That link even gives toll free numbers in North America and it appears the
>> OP is in North America.
>> What could be easier?
>
>Hmm, installing an OS that doesn't require activation or license keys?

So has spoken the grumpy old Linux bastard.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:00:36 GMT, "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote:

>Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>> Steve;
>> That link is only useless if not tried.
>> Many have reported getting replacement Product Key following the
>> instructions on that link.
>> That link even gives toll free numbers in North America and it appears the
>> OP is in North America.
>> What could be easier?
>> Why do you feel that link is useless when people have success with it?
>>

>I've never heard of MS replacing a lost product key or of anyone having
>success contacting MS for that specific reason, in fact I've heard the
>opposite, people being just SOL if they lose the key, but if it is true
>then I am happily corrected.
>
>Steve

Depends on the situation. I had a fire a couple of years ago and lost
my System and my XP disc. MS gave me a replacement though because I
had used their tech support for it and they had my name etc on record
as owning a valid copy. If I had not used their tech support for it,
I would have been SOL. So a word to the wise, use one of those free
support calls that come with the product just to be safe.

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

> Steve;
> Sometimes they are stuck and sometimes they have success.
> Largely it depends on what they have saved.
> Fortunately in this case. the OP was successful.

Yes, quite fortunate.

I learned something, too.

Steve

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Far more helpful than your "useless" reply....

I was wrong and I apologize.

Steve

I am not sure what can qualify, but IO generally refer those needing CDs,
Product Keys etc to that link.
From there they and Microsoft can better determine if the option for
replacement is available.